Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Purdue has a history of pulling upsets.They have ncaa record for getting wins over a RANKED opponent as an unranked team.-I believe.

Brohm and Purdue blew out #3 Ohio State led by Urban Meyer in 2018. Brohm is a very good coach that punches above his recruiting.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Ahh yes, new strategy, alienate those who are pissed at you even further. Good good. Almost as good as the defense he's fielded this year.
I mean, this really strikes as pretty darn tone deaf. It's all fine that he believes it and conveys it to his players - good for him on that. He has to know, however how this comes off elsewhere. Unless, of course, he doesn't.

Some of the other stats paint a pretty diametrically opposed picture to what CGC is trying to sell

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
someone should tell him coach you do understand the progress you THINK YOU SEE could be cause the ACC is weaker this year than the past 2 years, Other than Pitt , which beat you worse this year than last year , WF and NC State are the only 3 better this year and you didn't have to play WF and NC State.
He probably ought to drop the program progress argument. Someone might tell him that he’s about to complete the worst three year stretch at Tech in 40 years.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I think Collins was a good looking hire; and even if he ends up not being the guy, I think he has had value at Tech. He has elevated recruiting, he is a positive ambassador for Tech and he has helped bridge a difficult transition. I think he has one more year to show good progress (which to me doesn't necessarily mean X number of wins) or he will get fired.
The difficult transistion is of his own making. No excuse to have a defense ranked 111 after 3 years when he is supposedly a defensive expert. He had talent on O to run a top 40-60 type offense and he completely screwed up the transition.

He has two more years probably no matter what he does. But the recruiting can quickly evaporate with how easy it is to transfer now, not to mention he is starting to run the risk of losing this years recruiting class due to his poor coaching. I dont understand how some of the fans can have such gold colored glasses. "Everything is just dandy". Its a real head scratcher

omnipotech

Banned
Congratulations Geoff, you have progressed over the last 3 years from absolutely dreadful to maybe able to be compared to the worst team of the previous 20 years before you (hint: the 2015 team was still better). Really top notch work, give yourself a pat on the back.

Geoff's "improvement" is like the summation of 1/2^x, where x is from 1 to infinity, and he keeps saying look how close we are to being equal to 1.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Congratulations Geoff, you have progressed over the last 3 years from absolutely dreadful to maybe able to be compared to the worst team of the previous 20 years before you (hint: the 2015 team was still better). Really top notch work, give yourself a pat on the back.

Geoff's "improvement" is like the summation of 1/2^x, where x is from 1 to infinity, and he keeps saying look how close we are to being equal to 1.
I can’t tell you how 2015 GT would roll this defense.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
He probably ought to drop the program progress argument. Someone might tell him that he’s about to complete the worst three year stretch at Tech in 40 years.

That is negative thinking. Look at it positively: we’ve played more games in the last three years than all the Big Ten teams because they only played 6 games last year! 🤣

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So, just to note: It's okay to tell him who to fire, but it's not okay to make a suggestion of who to hire.

I said somewhat ok for a reason. There comes a point when an AD might need to sit down with the HC and suggest changes. It would be up to the HC to pull the trigger. That's a lot different than an AD dictating, or even strongly suggesting, who a HC will hire.

The single best thing for an AD to do is hire the HC and give him enough time and money to get the job done. Whether you, me, or anyone else here agrees with our move away from the option is moot at this point. We chose to transition, and we will pay a penalty for a few seasons while we transition. TStan, IMO, understands this and will give CGC time to correct from where we are today. He may indicate this offseason the need to upgrade an assistant or two. He may not. As long as he doesn't get down in the weeds with identifying and selecting assistants, I can live with his input as long as they are suggestions.

FWIW, I think we are closer to turning this ship than people realize, at least on offense. I have no answers for the defensive regression and that's the only thing about GT football that really worries me at the moment.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
So, just to note: It's okay to tell him who to fire, but it's not okay to make a suggestion of who to hire.

I am gonna reiterate a question I asked earlier to no one in particular, but why do you want TStan hiring assistants? Why would he be expected to be good at this? I am sure he has ideas for head coaching candidates if the need arises, but I doubt he has given much thought to assistants. Who does he know that a current head coach wouldn't think of? This makes no sense to me, other than ya'll don't trust Collins to tie his own Adidas. In which case, TStan isn't gonna save him.

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I said somewhat ok for a reason. There comes a point when an AD might need to sit down with the HC and suggest changes. It would be up to the HC to pull the trigger. That's a lot different than an AD dictating, or even strongly suggesting, who a HC will hire.

The single best thing for an AD to do is hire the HC and give him enough time and money to get the job done. Whether you, me, or anyone else here agrees with our move away from the option is moot at this point. We chose to transition, and we will pay a penalty for a few seasons while we transition. TStan, IMO, understands this and will give CGC time to correct from where we are today. He may indicate this offseason the need to upgrade an assistant or two. He may not. As long as he doesn't get down in the weeds with identifying and selecting assistants, I can live with his input as long as they are suggestions.

FWIW, I think we are closer to turning this ship than people realize, at least on offense. I have no answers for the defensive regression and that's the only thing about GT football that really worries me at the moment.
Yes, he should work with him. Which is what I suggested earlier:

"They can't just work together on it?"

And you replied with this:

"I haven't even begun to detail how stupid this idea is."

And this:

"Actively help choose a HCs assistants? no."

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I am gonna reiterate a question I asked earlier to no one in particular, but why do you want TStan hiring assistants?
I don't want him dictating, but I do want him to have an input into the decision. The reason is that after three years of Geoff Collins, I don't trust his judgement.