Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yes, he should work with him. Which is what I suggested earlier:

"They can't just work together on it?"

And you replied with this:

"I haven't even begun to detail how stupid this idea is."

And this:

"Actively help choose a HCs assistants? no."

No. Your original post was this:

Obviously not all coaches from the lower levels are the same. Some are good, and some are bad. We got stuck with some bad to mediocre ones, and now we need to find some good ones. Are you saying good coaches don't exist at the lower levels? Because that's what it sounds like you're saying.

We ended up with Patenaude and Thacker only because they came with Collins. We simply need someone besides Collins to decide who his assistants will be, because the two he brought with him didn't work out. We need for TStan to earn his salary.

That's not "working together" at all. That was saying that CGC has no business hiring his own assistants. I still hold that that's an incredibly stupid and shortsighted take.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer

Pretty good article about Collins whining, he is really starting to lose the press at this point. Lose the press and the fans, that's gonna be a tough one to come back on

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer

Pretty good article about Collins whining, he is really starting to lose the press at this point. Lose the press and the fans, that's gonna be a tough one to come back on

Yeah, a lot of people here will try to make you believe this site is the only place sour on Collins. That is not remotely true.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I don't want him dictating, but I do want him to have an input into the decision. The reason is that after three years of Geoff Collins, I don't trust his judgement.

Input, as in suggestions if he has some? Veto power? I just don't see what he could realistically add. But that's just me.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

That's not "working together" at all. That was saying that CGC has no business hiring his own assistants. I still hold that that's an incredibly stupid and shortsighted take.
That was my first post on the subject, but in every subsequent post I made it clear they should work together on it, which is exactly what you're saying now, after you first eschewed even the idea of them working together: "Actively help choose a HCs assistants? no."

So it seems we both changed our tune a bit, didn't we? Glad to see we're now in agreement.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, a lot of people here will try to make you believe this site is the only place sour on Collins. That is not remotely true.

The simple reality is that winning back to back games will cure a lot of the noise. If Collins can solve that issue I believe the noise from the press and fans will slowly subside , especially if we win the games we should win and then some
Collins may have the support of GTAA and the players, but right now he is on real thin ice with the press and fans.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
That was my first post on the subject, but in every subsequent post I made it clear they should work together on it, which is exactly what you're saying now, after you first eschewed even the idea of them working together: "Actively help choose a HCs assistants? no."

So it seems we both changed our tune a bit, didn't we? Glad to see we're now in agreement.

No. I've stated I'm somewhat ok with an AD telling a HC he needs to make improvements, and that his staff might be hindering him. I've unequivocally stated I am against CGC not having total control over who his staff will be. Having an AD as a sounding board is one thing, calling the shots is another.

You've been walking back an incredibly shortsighted statement for a while now. I'm not sure we agree at all. I'm not even sure where you really stand since you've stated more than once in this thread that you don't trust CGCs ability to select assistants.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
The simple reality is that winning back to back games will cure a lot of the noise. If Collins can solve that issue I believe the noise from the press and fans will slowly subside , especially if we win the games we should win and then some
Collins may have the support of GTAA and the players, but right now he is on real thin ice with the press and fans.
Gonna have to wait a long time for that I’m afraid

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
No. I've stated I'm somewhat ok with an AD telling a HC he needs to make improvements, and that his staff might be hindering him. I've unequivocally stated I am against CGC not having total control over who his staff will be. Having an AD as a sounding board is one thing, calling the shots is another.

You've been walking back an incredibly shortsighted statement for a while now. I'm not sure we agree at all. I'm not even sure where you really stand since you've stated more than once in this thread that you don't trust CGCs ability to select assistants.
No, you stated he should not help the HC choose his assistants. And no, I don't trust GC's judgement but I can see why he can't be told who to hire, although telling him who to fire seems about the same thing.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

Do you think he's made good choices of coordinators and staff overall?

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I can see the AD saying get rid of such and such if you want to keep your job. This is how much staff money you get to spend. Now bring me a list of candidates.

slugboy

Staff member
Do you think it was a choice or do you think it was more like bring the Temple staff because that's what we could afford?
I only remember one coach Collins asked for but did not get, and that’s a more experienced DLine coach—he made an offer and it didn’t work out. We got Marco Coleman from the Raiders instead.

About this time nearly three years ago, I can’t recall anyone questioning the assistant coach hires aside from Patenaude. And I think the Patenaude doubt was more “at his age, he should be further along and have accomplished more”.

Jmonty71

Banned
I just wanted to thank the admins for letting everyone vent.... Clearly with 129, going on 130 pages... You care enough to let the fan based grumble, fuss and explain their frustrations. I, like many, think we deserve better. I would like to refer a Money Ball quote. "if he's a good hitter, why can't he hit", "if he's a good coach, why can't he coach". These are the types questions we should be asking. "if he's a good tackler, why can't he tackle".... "if he's the chaos of defense, why aren't we generating chaos"??? To me.... This is where my frustrations start... Everything Collins is supposed to be, he isn't... Unless he is just a bag of air, that lucked his way into a job.....