Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Absolutely. And if a coach were scared off by that, I wouldn't want him anyway.
I would bet conversations are going on already between AD and HC about what can be done to improve the team, including new assistants. There's nothing new about it.

That's a far cry from picking for him though. CGC needs to be able to bring his own guys in and succeed or fail with the ones he chooses.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
They can't just work together on it? Sounds ridiculous to me. After three seasons like we've had, I doubt an AD stepping in to lend a gentle guiding hand is going to scare away any coach worth his salt.
As soon as the AD "helps" the HC select an OC he can no longer criticize the offense or hold the HC accountable for their shortcomings. If I am the AD I do not want to give up the leverage my position has over the HC.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
They can't just work together on it? Sounds ridiculous to me. After three seasons like we've had, I doubt an AD stepping in to lend a gentle guiding hand is going to scare away any coach worth his salt.
It is not uncommon for an AD to step in on hiring decisions like you are suggesting. According to folks on this board, it happened at GT a few years ago when we hired Pastner. Apparently the AD was very involved in selecting assistants. And before that, when Al Groh was forced on CPJ.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
regarding your last remark....."let's just win another couple of games...." like which two can we win Dude? Seriously, which two?
Just saying that the longer we go without winning the deeper the hole gets. Had we won the games we were supposed to win earlier in the season it would not be as imperative for us to win this late in the season.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I mean it’s not like such a move is uncommon in Cfb. Happens all the time
You may be right, but I could not think of a situation where an AD forced the HC to replace a coordinator and it worked out well. Maybe that happens frequently and it's behind a curtain. But, that would not be the management style I would suggest. The managers who worked for me picked their people and I held them responsible for their results. It gets a lot harder if you put underperformers on their team.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
The coaching on offense is actually pretty good, and I'll support a stat-- and not and just opinion--to support that view.

This offense is No.44 in yards per play. By comparison, in Johnson's last year, we were No. 41. When you consider that we don't have the players we need on the O-line or at tight end, the staff has done a pretty good job with what they have to work with. I have to say that I am surprised by the No. 44 ranking.

The problem is clearly on defense. We are No. 106 in yards per play. Our talent is better than 106. Staff changes have to be made on that side of the ball. And before people start, Collins is the head coach, not the DC. It's Thacker et al who need to be leading the improvement on D. That's what they are paid for.

Stansbury needs to come up with $$$ to hire some new coaching talent on D.
There are plenty of stats to support the opposite. Yards per play can be inflated against bad teams, and in garbage time situations. That's why I tend to lean towards FEI which accounts for those things. In Offensive FEI we are 77th in the country, and that's without including the Miami game which will likely drop us further. With BC, ND, and UGA left, it will be interesting to see if statistically our offense ends up regressing compared to last year when we finished 88th.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree we need better coaching on both sides of the ball but we also need better body types on both sides of the ball. Yes it has improved some but we are still no where we need to be. We need to get a whole lot bigger and we need a whole lot more speed. We are still one of the smallest size team in the acc and it’s going to take 3 or 4 more years to get where we need to be.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Mullen and Frost know their programs are under scrutiny and have taken "proactive" measures. Just saying.
The rumor, for what its worth, on Swamp Gas is that Mullen's hand was forced to some degree but he likely knew it was time to do something about Grantham who Florida fans derided as "Third and Grantham" for his penchant to give up third and long first downs. I will have to ask my Florida buddies what they know although two of them are wanting Mullen's head on a pike. We should have such problems.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Once an AD hires a HC, other than providing funds, he needs to be hands off. When the AD gets involved, it's time for the coach to go. If TStan starts dictating to CGC, then every future HC candidate out there is going to take notice.
I disagree. Dictate and hands off are two opposite ends of a management spectrum. The AD should very much be able to voice concerns with coordinators and position coaches the same way an upper manager should be able to voice concerns with a middle managers direct reports.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
There are plenty of stats to support the opposite. Yards per play can be inflated against bad teams, and in garbage time situations. That's why I tend to lean towards FEI which accounts for those things. In Offensive FEI we are 77th in the country, and that's without including the Miami game which will likely drop us further. With BC, ND, and UGA left, it will be interesting to see if statistically our offense ends up regressing compared to last year when we finished 88th.
Yeah, and even if you don’t want to look up what FEI means there are some obvious ones like third down conversion percentage and red zone scoring percentage, where we continue to be in the bottom third of NCAA teams.

Animal02

Banned
As soon as the AD "helps" the HC select an OC he can no longer criticize the offense or hold the HC accountable for their shortcomings. If I am the AD I do not want to give up the leverage my position has over the HC.
TStan gave up any leverage when he signed the absurd 7 year contract with all the guarantees.

Jmonty71

Banned
Too many still believe all the problems will be solved by "recruiting" If recruiting was the miracle maker of winning seasons, FSU and another ten schools missing from the ranking would be right up there year after year.
I agree. If recruiting was the key, Ugag would have multiple championships until Mark Ritch.

Jmonty71

Banned
That's a far cry from picking for him though. CGC needs to be able to bring his own guys in and succeed or fail with the ones he chooses.
I agree with this. Head Coaches are responsible for leading their team. Once outside sources start directing who they can and can't hire, it becomes very toxic. As a head coach, you are responsible for the whole tamale. This includes recruiting, picking coordinators, picking coaches and calling game plans. I'm sure there are more. However; those are 4 important areas. Now, some HC's let their OC's pick coaches, but that is based on whatever the relationship is. However; ultimately it is on the HC to put a good staff and team together. In order to have a chance of landing better talent at the HC spot, the AD needs to let the HC do the job. Doesn't matter if Collins can do it or not. It's about the optics of the program, all together. We as fans, are frustrated. I get it. I'm frustrated, many of the friends are frustrated. I am in the pack of people that think Collins is not what we want/need. However; again... If we ever want to land a big time coach, we need to ensure that we don't have an Athletic Dept. that meddles in the the HC's day to day.... I think that is where you are trying to go with this....

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It is not uncommon for an AD to step in on hiring decisions like you are suggesting. According to folks on this board, it happened at GT a few years ago when we hired Pastner. Apparently the AD was very involved in selecting assistants. And before that, when Al Groh was forced on CPJ.

Groh and Pastners first round of assistants should be ample evidence ADs do not need to be involved in the process.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I disagree. Dictate and hands off are two opposite ends of a management spectrum. The AD should very much be able to voice concerns with coordinators and position coaches the same way an upper manager should be able to voice concerns with a middle managers direct reports.

Voice concerns? yes. Insist on accountability? yes. Actively help choose a HCs assistants? no.