Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
CPJ was a great coach. Probably one of the greatest of all time if you look at his record and what he has done with every program he has been at. That being said I don’t think we need to go down the CPJ tree we just need someone that has a great offensive mind or someone that has PROVEN to get the most out of his players. CGC is a fantastic recruiter and salesman for the program…but that’s about it.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I think in the game after interview he said the chart showed he should go for it ( I may be wrong if so I apologize to you and him but I really don't want to listen to him again to find out) It must be a magic chart that showed kick the FG and change to go for the TD,
In hindsight you take the points save the timeout after wasting one 2 plays before and called timeout when you saw they were going for 2 and talked to the defense. ( i'm not sure who was in on defense on the extra point but would like to know)
I'm not directing this at you as this more rhetorical but...a chart? What's wrong with a coaches gut and intuition? Charts...schmarts. Oh my. At least I'd bet PJ didn't need a chart in that situation.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm not directing this at you as this more rhetorical but...a chart? What's wrong with a coaches gut and intuition? Charts...schmarts. Oh my. At least I'd bet PJ didn't need a chart in that situation.
Lots use them I guess, you should be thinking ahead to the next play or two but all CGC does is smile and watch the play thinking ahead would mean he was a good Head coach .

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

This was horrible!!! No plan, no direction, no focus
That is how I felt about a lot of things Saturday night. Some offensive substitutions. Most defensive substitutions. Defense not being in place before the ball was snapped. Questionable timeouts. Appearing like the coach changed the play call because of fans booing. Even the PA announcement announcing money down on third down during NIU's last drive in obvious four down situations.

From the players to the coaches to the PA announcer, it appeared very much like GT doesn't understand the basics of football. I don't believe that is true, but that is the way it looked in the stadium. Hopefully the TV broadcast didn't pick up on all of that.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
As a bridge player I have my next few plays in mind at all times. My son is a chess player and he can see the next 8-10 moves by both him and his opponent. And we do these games as a hobby. I think a professional, D1/P5 coach cannot be successful thinking one play at a time.
I doubt that Is truly the case - I just don’t think CGC or the coordinators do this “at a high level”

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The 2nd timeout doesn’t bother me as much as the 1st one

The sequence was

-Big run by JP to the 5

-Hurry up and run up the middle with JP for 3 yards
- 40sec clock reset. We attempt to substitute Jack Coco in but both Dylan Leonard and McGowan appear leave. Then Yates decides to call a huddle (wtf!)
-Yates doesn’t get the play into and relay to the huddle there 8 sec left on the play clock
- the offense walks to the LOS then TO is called

This was horrible!!! No plan, no direction, no focus
Exactly. Some fans just watch the game. Others, like myself and you, run the game in our minds. I’m constantly watching the play clock to see when it starts and where we are in relations to the next play. We are totally lost and have been under Collins the whole time. Most teams by the time the ball is spotted and the ref starts the play clock are fully into getting the next play and either huddling or the linemen are getting to their spots. We are a clusterfreak. And we are the worst in goal line situations. That play you described where we had no clue and Yates huddles the team with 15 seconds left on the play clock was the same scenario when Collins called the timeout that negated Oliver’s TD against the Citadel. That was year 1 and this is year 3. We obviously have no one on staff who can make rapid fire decisions or think 45 seconds ahead.

Another example: I’ve seen several times when we are in goal line situation, say 2nd and 2 from the 5 - meaning we can get a 1st down at the 3- yet our staff calls plays as if it’s goal to go and instead of just running it six straight plays we throw passes as if we are goal to go.

In the sequence above I’m screaming to just run the same play 3 times in a row and Mason easily scores. Instead we burn 2 timeouts which benefitted our opponent and get nothing. My question is where is Brent Key and why wasn’t he up in Collins face? He’s the assistant head coach and would have another job if Collins fired him tomorrow. At this point Key and Choice would become GT legends if they went off on Collins. Unless they are as clueless as he is.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
As a bridge player I have my next few plays in mind at all times. My son is a chess player and he can see the next 8-10 moves by both him and his opponent. And we do these games as a hobby. I think a professional, D1/P5 coach cannot be successful thinking one play at a time.
You are right and he hasn't . Something needs to change , what I don't know but this 404 , money down and other crap has to change that will not win games maybe help recruiting but to win games someone needs to coach . Just maybe trying to run 100 plays at practice to get every players some snaps you run 50 if the 1st and 2nd units and stop and explain what they did wrong, but that would be called coaching players up.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
In the sequence above I’m screaming to just run the same play 3 times in a row and Mason easily scores. Instead we burn 2 timeouts which benefitted our opponent and get nothing. My question is where is Brent Key and why wasn’t he up in Collins face? He’s the assistant head coach and would have another job if Collins fired him tomorrow. At this point Key and Choice would become GT legends if they went off on Collins. Unless they are as clueless as he is.
I thought in the off season they said he wanted more say so and was told he would , was I wrong? After sees the play of the OL I would have thought he was also doing something with the offense other than just coaching the OL.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You are right and he hasn't . Something needs to change , what I don't know but this 404 , money down and other crap has to change that will not win games maybe help recruiting but to win games someone needs to coach . Just maybe trying to run 100 plays at practice to get every players some snaps you run 50 if the 1st and 2nd units and stop and explain what they did wrong, but that would be called coaching players up.
My guess is that what will change is that sooner or later, the coordinators will be replaced.
We might turn things around if we can get some better assistants in here and Geoff just relegates himself to cheerleading and recruiting.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Jolly Good Fellow
It’s part of the weekly gameplan. Well, it usually is. The matrix of time, score, yardage, etc. is wrapped into the game planning for the week. The chart they speak isn’t the one everyone is assuming where it tells you whether or not to go for two or not. It’s the matrix described above planned for during the week.

For instance, the decision for what to do against NIU that situation wouldn’t necessarily be the one you plan for against Clemson given all of those same variables.

What happened is akin to a military commander planning it all out with his war council and then in the heat of battle waffles back and forth and can’t make a decision. Collins is faking it until he makes. His actions in game management seems like he has no confidence in himself. The bluster is just cloaking it, as is usually the case with the loud ones in the room.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Please don’t say Whisenhunt
I thought we should have hired this guy.

1630940945866.png

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Maybe that is all he can handle?
I have known more than one HS or college head coach who carefully choreographed every segment of the practice with X number of minutes dedicated to this followed immediately by X number of minutes dedicated to that and so on. And who would rip up the practice plans and keep the players running one drill until they got it right. If you practice something wrong you are going to play something wrong.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I have a feeling he gets fired this year, if it's Collins or Dave it'll be Dave, then after 22 GC goes unless it's fixed... you're now looking at a 2-3 win team.
Not going to happen . CGC put his eggs in the basket and who could you get that is a proven offensive coordinator for $400 k ? Sad part we are stuck for 3 or 4 years.
If I was CBK and people still thought I was one the the best OL coaches I would leave before CGC took me down with him.