Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I thought we should have hired this guy.

View attachment 11115

I wanted an offensive guy minded coach. I was a fan of his as well, but there were others I would have been fine with. I actually made a long post about Tony Elliott and why he would be a great fit for GT and the city of Atlanta.

Coming off of CPJ's spread option, I thought it was important to find an offensive coach with a different system that could put up big numbers because the new coach would have been compared to CPJ's offensive success. The modern college football game has changed. You need a high powered offense to compete...there's a reason why Saban bent his coaching philosophy towards the offensive side. There's also a reason why most college searches these days center around offensive minded coaches.

I also pointed out that in all of Stansbury's stops as an AD, he never had to hire a head coach for football. GT would be his first coaching hire for a head football coach.

I really liked CGC's defensive record at UF and Miss St, and his reputation for recruiting and relationships with players. I was nervous about his record at Temple, a school with good success for new HCs before CGC got there. You are what your record says you are...and his few seasons looked mediocre. He's not the DC of Florida or Miss State anymore...he's the head coach and responsible for the entirety of a program.

I want CGC to succeed, because rooting against CGC is rooting against GT. I will never root against any of our coaches...and I really hope none of you do.

My hope is that the NIU loss is wakeup call for CGC that all the other stuff is secondary to winning. He has the players to win now, so there's no more of this "biggest transition in college football history" BS he said the first two years. This roster can win 6+ games.

I've watched the tape of the NIU game, and I'll tell you I saw some things that make me very optimistic if our staff and players execute.

Offensively, we are running the ball really well, and our run blocking is very good. Our RBs, for the most part, make it to the LB and DB level without getting touched. We had almost 300 yards of rushing, 200+ of which came from our RBs. Our pass blocking needs a lot of improvement, but we are better than we have been. We are scheming our receivers open. Honestly, we should have had 4+ TD passes against NIU, and over 300 yards in the air. That's on our QBs...our OL is giving them enough time, and our receivers getting open...BUT our QBs are either not seeing the receivers or they make bad throws. I said in another thread that we should have had at least 27 more points against NIU. After rewatching the NIU game, I think we could have easily scored 35+ more points. Unfortunately, if you don't execute, none of that matters. The scoreboard matters...not "what ifs".

Unfortunately, the reason I felt optimistic about CGC when he was hired has not come to fruition here. His defense. Yes, we held NIU to barely 300 yards, but we are still making fundamental errors. Our DBs are taking the wrong angles, our LBs and DLs are running into each other and not maintaining gap discipline taking each other out of plays. We still can not get penetration into the backfield consistently....which should have not been a problem against NIU. The speed in our defensive backfield is pedestrian. The reality is, we have 2 safeties that are better suited to play LB than they are at safety. You saw it on NIU's first TD when their RB erased our safety's angle and went by him for TD. Our defensive backfield is terrible about communicating and switching coverage responsibilities...which is why we saw two upperclassmen DBs openly arguing with each other on the football field after a busted play. As a coach that has prided himself on the DB play, our DB play has been very poor since Day 1 of the CGC era.

Going forward, in the immediate future, I want to see progress against KSU. Honestly, from a talent standpoint, this should be like a varsity team playing against a freshmen team. By halftiime, there should be ZERO doubt who the better team is...and it better be GT. If it's not GT, I think my days defending CGC will be over. I'll support GT, and I'll root for CGC to succeed because it means GT is succeeding...but I will never again waste any time trying to talk another GT fan into thinking CGC can get the job done. We have roster that can compete for Coastal, but if a coach can't utilize it to take out KSU early, then it's time to make other plans.

Last edited:

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Nah.. Josh Huepel or someone with that run’ n’ gun system would have been ideal.

He wouldn't have taken it or would have been gone already. Same with many of the up and coming head coaches. Probably need to look for an assistant next time around.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I understand that perspective.

With that out of the way, my post was specifically about about people calling for Monken, Bohannan and revisiting the "need", or minimally merits, of running that offense after yesterday's game. If anything, yesterday's game tells me that the style of offense is not the root issue, so I was trying to understand why folks are coming to the table with that as the solution. To me it weakens any future argument from those same folks. I've since read your response and others to know that I was missing some additional context.
Personally, I think the game next week will be an on-field interview of Bohannon as our new head coach. I'm not saying that because I think the spread option is the be-all, end-all offense for Tech. It's because, if we lose, there will be one candidate for a new head coach who will take the job and is a proven success on the field. That's Bohannon. I doubt seriously if any other head coach with a similar record would touch Tech with a fork if we lose to KSU. But I may be overestimating our appeal to Bohannon.

And, of course, we could always get an assistant from somewhere. I guess.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Personally, I think the game next week will be an on-field interview of Bohannon as our new head coach. I'm not saying that because I think the spread option is the be-all, end-all offense for Tech. It's because, if we lose, there will be one candidate for a new head coach who will take the job and is a proven success on the field. That's Bohannon. I doubt seriously if any other head coach with a similar record would touch Tech with a fork if we lose to KSU. But I may be overestimating our appeal to Bohannon.

And, of course, we could always get an assistant from somewhere. I guess.
Maybe we can hire him at halftime.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
My summary of the game and last 2 years was that we:

1) Overlooked this game, as many GOOD teams can and still win......but at this point we are nowhere near GOOD. ( Fault- COACHING for putting the idea in the player's heads that they are already elite- without any results on the field to confirm that.)
2) We are mentally unprepared to start the game. When an opponent smacks us in the mouth, we tuck tail. ( Fault - Players with an assist from coaching. Where is the
leadership and the pride ? Is this how they played in high school ?
3) No in game adjustments. When you spot an overmatched ( supposedly) opponent 2 TDs in the first half you should be able to recover..... in the last game we ALMOST did. When we play superior teams , which almost all teams on our schedule have, they will BURY in the 1st half. ( Fault - COACHING, COACHING, COACHING )
4) Can't make FGs in your own half empty stadium with ideal weather conditions by an experienced FG kicker from makeable distance ( Fault -coaching and kicker)
5) Poor technique on OL in sustaining blocks and DL in shedding blocks......with experienced players- especially the OL. ( Fault- Players- Seniors and Juniors need help with basic technique on undersized opponents at this point ? IMO, this is lack of effort and toughness.)
6) Poor clock and game management........again ! ( Fault - CGC. Wasting 2 TOs in the 3rd quarter in the last game was inexcusable).
Thanks for letting me vent. I still don't feel better though because I have very little confidence that anything I mentioned above will change with the current HC and staff.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
5. Doubts surface

Questions or doubts about Collins’ ability to fulfill his vision of lifting Tech into college football’s elite grew after the loss, given that Northern Illinois was an 18-point underdog after its 0-6 record in 2020. It called to mind other troubling losses in Collins’ tenure, namely the defeats to The Citadel in 2019 and to Syracuse in 2020, which was the Orange’s only win of the season.

You think, Ken Suguira, you think?

candrewk

Georgia Tech Fan
This year will ultimately be a referendum on assistant coaches. How Collins handles that will determine whether he's on the hot seat next year or whether he puts off any further judgement to year 5.

Probably not saying anything that hasn't already been said given how late I am to this thread though

slugboy

Staff member
Nah.. Josh Huepel or someone with that run’ n’ gun system would have been ideal.
I think Scott Frost is coming free after this season.

Counter Strike Look GIF by Sinners Esports

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Nope he didn't. Notice we only lost ted when he took another job. Ted wasnt bad but paul wanted to promote charles.
He couldn't afford Charles. CCK got more money from FSU. He wanted to stay and be DC and PJ wanted him but the money just wasn't there.
Paul went and got Ted.
And if PJ had the authority to can Wommack and Groh, why didn't he have the authority to fire CTR if he felt the need to make a change?

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
5. Doubts surface

Questions or doubts about Collins’ ability to fulfill his vision of lifting Tech into college football’s elite grew after the loss, given that Northern Illinois was an 18-point underdog after its 0-6 record in 2020. It called to mind other troubling losses in Collins’ tenure, namely the defeats to The Citadel in 2019 and to Syracuse in 2020, which was the Orange’s only win of the season.

You think, Ken Suguira, you think?
If you listened to the post game press conference Ken called CGC out on how embarrassing this lost was. I was proud of him for doing that.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
He couldn't afford Charles. CCK got more money from FSU. He wanted to stay and be DC and PJ wanted him but the money just wasn't there.
Paul went and got Ted.
And if PJ had the authority to can Wommack and Groh, why didn't he have the authority to fire CTR if he felt the need to make a change?
I had inside knowledge that charles did not want to leave atlanta and he only got the fsu job after he was passed over here. Paul was handed teds name. Ted wasnt as bad as people made him out to be but he definitely was other peoples choice.

For the record I actually liked ted. If we had got another sneezy duri g his te ure wed think of him different

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The 2nd timeout doesn’t bother me as much as the 1st one

The sequence was

-Big run by JP to the 5

-Hurry up and run up the middle with JP for 3 yards
- 40sec clock reset. We attempt to substitute Jack Coco in but both Dylan Leonard and McGowan appear leave. Then Yates decides to call a huddle (wtf!)
-Yates doesn’t get the play into and relay to the huddle there 8 sec left on the play clock
- the offense walks to the LOS then TO is called

This was horrible!!! No plan, no direction, no focus

Agree. Inside the 15 going for a score I do not like to see mass substitutions or hurry ups. This is not the place for a mistake. Keep things simple . Coach should think one play ahead when play calling and not complicate anything unnecessarily. Avoid slow developing plays and plays to lose big yardage, especially on early downs. From inside the 5 I would run Mason quick and straight ahead until the last down. Its a no brainer and not the place to be cute .