Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
We can't afford to fire Collins so he will get his chance to right the ship. It does kinda feel like purgatory until we get the money though. It's hard to imagine this year turning into a success after a performance like that and next year's schedule isn't any easier. I would be surprised if we make a bowl game before year 5 of his tenure.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Curious, when has axing a coordinator ever turned around a struggling program?
During 2012, Charles Kelly took over as the interim defensive coordinator at Tech during mid season. There was improvement. After the season ended, he probably was going to be named Tech's defensive coordinator, but he decided to join Jimbo Fisher at FSU as a special teams/linebacker coach. He's a very good recruiter and currently is a coach at Alabama. I think he has family in Alabama and I doubt he would leave.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
This is from an AP wire story on the game. Not a good look at all.
9F55515E-F128-45BE-8623-8CA3C2985112.jpeg

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I doubt fans influenced his decision. But since we are claiming they did, shouldn’t we applaud the decision since that’s what we wanted and just be disappointed with the result?
No you listen to fans you will be in the stands with them. The problem is CGC is not a head coach maybe and AD one day but he wants everyone to like him bad sign for a real head coach ( do you think Saban cares who likes him , he tells it like it is .

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I doubt fans influenced his decision. But since we are claiming they did, shouldn’t we applaud the decision since that’s what we wanted and just be disappointed with the result?

Were you at the game by chance? If it didn't influence his decision, then he should explain what changed his mind so drastically that he burned a critical TO in order to all of a sudden go for it.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Were you at the game by chance? If it didn't influence his decision, then he should explain what changed his mind so drastically that he burned a critical TO in order to all of a sudden go for it.
I think the bigger concern is that an AP wire story is out there that our HC was influenced by crowd boos. Of course CGC says he wasn’t - and he likely wasn’t, but it’s a bad bad look to the rest of the football world. Kind like the Pitt handshake gate. It’s not the kind of press we want - especially as we are largely irrelevant due to our play / results.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Second guess himself? We don’t know. Even if they did influence him my question remains. Shouldn’t we be happy with the decision despite the result? It’s what the fans wanted him to do

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn’t mind going for the TD there, but in that situation you need to be know what you will do prior to 4th down and be ready to make that decision. Using two timeouts in a goal to go situation and scoring zero points is not acceptable. Even if we had scored, I think criticism there is fair.

I’ll maintain that our players and even our play calling should have had us up by 20 to 24 points before NIUs last drive. Game management, preparedness, and execution (I don’t think this applies to most players but unfortunately it definitely was in one key position) lost that game.

I don’t want to give up on the season. I’ve seen Sims play much better than he did against NIU. Even with our passing troubles we still rushed for nearly 300 yds. The defense has me scratching my head because we had a bunch of 3 and outs but every time we didn’t get a 3 and out they seemed to score a TD.

Jmonty71

Banned
You are missing the point. The scheme we ran last night would have won the game by over 14 points minimum had we connected on 3-4 additional throws and kicked a chip shot field goal instead of wasting a timeout to appease an angry fan base. CDP wasn't the issue last night.
No... I understand that. How does that explain the play calling for the rest of the game? Obviously, NIU took something away. Instead of adjust, the O kept doing the same thing for 3-4 possessions. I am more concerned about that, than I am the miscues.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
No... I understand that. How does that explain the play calling for the rest of the game? Obviously, NIU took something away. Instead of adjust, the O kept doing the same thing for 3-4 possessions. I am more concerned about that, than I am the miscues.

You should really look at the drive charts. It's clear you are blaming CDP for things that didn't actually happen. Even with the lack of execution we were moving the ball all night long on offense. We just kept shooting ourselves in the foot on execution.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I think in the game after interview he said the chart showed he should go for it ( I may be wrong if so I apologize to you and him but I really don't want to listen to him again to find out) It must be a magic chart that showed kick the FG and change to go for the TD,
In hindsight you take the points save the timeout after wasting one 2 plays before and called timeout when you saw they were going for 2 and talked to the defense. ( i'm not sure who was in on defense on the extra point but would like to know)

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I think in the game after interview he said the chart showed he should go for it ( I may be wrong if so I apologize to you and him but I really don't want to listen to him again to find out) It must be a magic chart that showed kick the FG and change to go for the TD,
In hindsight you take the points save the timeout after wasting one 2 plays before and called timeout when you saw they were going for 2 and talked to the defense. ( i'm not sure who was in on defense on the extra point but would like to know)
Yep that’s what he said. I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt - but he looked indecisive and looked like the crowed swayed the decision. He gets that look a lot - and if you don’t think other coaches and players see it….

if he ever rights the ship (doubtful) this will be something he has to shore up. Does any good to great coach look that unsure in a game situation ?