Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Does any good to great coach look that unsure in a game situation ?
I remember when Bill Curry became coach. He freely admitted he did NOT know how to coach as a HC on game day when the bullets are flying. So after EVERY game, he sat down with Bobby Dodd and they dissected the game ... what worked and why, what did not work and why, and things to pay attention to next time.

It's amazing to me that an NFL Champion and 3 time Super Bowl player freely admitted he needed the help. Geoff doesn't strike me as nearly as knowledgeable and honestly, he's a bit on the arrogant side as he builds his "elite system" ... that isn't working. I wonder WHO he should sit down with after each game so he can learn to be a better head coach. George O'Leary? Bobby Ross? Why not?

As to execution, Bear Bryant spoke about this a lot. Very few drives are perfectly executed. In fact, you can bank on making a mistake ... missed assignment, penalty, etc. So, you had better have a game plan that includes at least one 35 yd gainer to overcome the disadvantage created by the inevitable mistake. As Bryant observed, no one gets upset because of a mistake. (Ok, maybe Saban does.) It's what you do about it that counts.

Personally, I think Geoff is clueless as a head coach. And it's questionable if he is even that good on defense. I'm just wondering if this was all baked into the decision that TStan made ... "Geoff ... you are going to be terrible. Here's $23 million dollars. Now, go take those arrows in the back and all of the abuse you're going to get. TStan."

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
You should really look at the drive charts. It's clear you are blaming CDP for things that didn't actually happen. Even with the lack of execution we were moving the ball all night long on offense. We just kept shooting ourselves in the foot on execution.
I dont disagree with the plays seemed to be decent calls. BUT is it not also his responsibility to better coach the players to execute the plays he calls or to call plays that are better executed in practice? I still firmly put the fault on him. Also the QB play was not good. the OC should have put the better QB out there or run practice to better determine who is the correct person.

Simply calling plays is a small part of his job and he is not looking good at the rest of those jobs

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I listened carefully to the post game conference. He was asked by two different reporters why he burned two timeouts and changed his decision. We can all have different interpretations of what was going through his mind but listen to the actual questions that were asked and then tell me if he actually answered the question.

I heard a word salad and obfuscation. I do not like criticizing a Tech coach and it always pains me when others do it. But my criticism would be that if your whole bread and butter is communication, changing the atmosphere around a program, and giving a clarity of vision, you ought to be able to answer a straight forward question in such a way that there is no doubt what was going through your mind. If you are the one totally responsible for planting the right thoughts in everybody’s minds then you better be super clear about what those thoughts are.

Frankly, his response the first time he was asked enraged me. He focused on how “we almost made it just missing by inches.” That totally missed the point of the question. I personally would still be just as concerned if we had made the touchdown as to why it took 2 timeouts and why he couldn’t give a straightforward answer to why he changed his mind. That is what two different reporters asked about and he has yet to give a clear straightforward answer.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
He focused on how “we almost made it just missing by inches.”
Reminds me of Vince Lombardi story. The Packers only ran six plays ... but Lombardi had them practice those plays OVER and OVER and OVER until they were as reliable as the night is long. "Missing by inches ... " was not an excuse Lombardi used.

Geoff ... "Look. I know I'm 6-17 at Tech. But had we caught 17 passes, prevented 14 fumbles, and scored on those occasions where we planned to but didn't, we'd be undefeated. That's why this is a championship team. We demand play at an elite level and there are very teams like our Georgia Tech squad that is undefeated. I'm a remarkable coach, really. You just don't know what I know."

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I listened carefully to the post game conference. He was asked by two different reporters why he burned two timeouts and changed his decision. We can all have different interpretations of what was going through his mind but listen to the actual questions that were asked and then tell me if he actually answered the question.

I heard a word salad and obfuscation. I do not like criticizing a Tech coach and it always pains me when others do it. But my criticism would be that if your whole bread and butter is communication, changing the atmosphere around a program, and giving a clarity of vision, you ought to be able to answer a straight forward question in such a way that there is no doubt what was going through your mind. If you are the one totally responsible for planting the right thoughts in everybody’s minds then you better be super clear about what those thoughts are.

Frankly, his response the first time he was asked enraged me. He focused on how “we almost made it just missing by inches.” That totally missed the point of the question. I personally would still be just as concerned if we had made the touchdown as to why it took 2 timeouts and why he couldn’t give a straightforward answer to why he changed his mind. That is what two different reporters asked about and he has yet to give a clear straightforward answer.
When guys don't answer questions like this in a straitforward manner, it is because they know the honest answer is a bad look. That is my experience.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
When guys don't answer questions like this straitforward, it is because they know the honest answer is a bad look. That is my experience.
Listening to his pressers has been a form of masochistic self punishment for 2+ years. Saturday was no different. Not sure why I do it but I do. At least he didn’t say we were getting better every. Single. Day.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer

That's a classic tactic from Collins. But also remember when CPJ would get real defensive and down right rude when reporters would question his motives ?

Real take will be the weekly presser this week.

I'm sure Collins by now has seen and media reports and the heat he is getting, but will say that it's all noise and we just have to move forward.

Reality is hopefully that noise will get him in check . I mean we paid a 1,000,000 to play a team that we should have dominated . How do you explain that to the athletic department, after the loss

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
We moved to Dallas last year. Dallas Morning News recap on the game was about 1” of print about the winning score, but they made sure to note that NIU was an 18.5 pt dog. We paid $1M to lose to a team that Vegas favored us by 2.5 TDs. That is epically bad.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I dont disagree with the plays seemed to be decent calls. BUT is it not also his responsibility to better coach the players to execute the plays he calls or to call plays that are better executed in practice? I still firmly put the fault on him. Also the QB play was not good. the OC should have put the better QB out there or run practice to better determine who is the correct person.

Simply calling plays is a small part of his job and he is not looking good at the rest of those jobs
I do not have an opinion yet about the OC in this game but would agree with a couple of points. The plays called were good except for the execution. I can remember in years past people asking why CPJ did not call such and such a play in a critical down and distance situation and he would say matter of factly we were just not executing that play and I did not have confidence in it.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
All We’re going to hear said is it’s us against the world… Bringing the family together… Closing the wagons… we’ve been abandoned… The haters…

slugboy

Staff member
At a minimum he was indecisive. If he was going to consult the chart he should have figured that out before he sent the FG team on the field. I would have supported either decision there, but he could not decide on the call. He has to think ahead not in the moment.
If you’re going to use the chart and the percentages, you can have a grad assistant with the chart who knows that stuff next to you at all times, and they say “kick” or “go for it” before the refs even start the clock (or about the same time), and you signal the play. Also, when you call the third down play, you should already know what you’re going to do on 4th and 3 vs 4th and 1/2. You should be thinking at least one move ahead, if not more, on your play calls.

I remember when Bill Curry became coach. He freely admitted he did NOT know how to coach as a HC on game day when the bullets are flying. So after EVERY game, he sat down with Bobby Dodd and they dissected the game ... what worked and why, what did not work and why, and things to pay attention to next time.

It's amazing to me that an NFL Champion and 3 time Super Bowl player freely admitted he needed the help. Geoff doesn't strike me as nearly as knowledgeable and honestly, he's a bit on the arrogant side as he builds his "elite system" ... that isn't working. I wonder WHO he should sit down with after each game so he can learn to be a better head coach. George O'Leary? Bobby Ross? Why not?

As to execution, Bear Bryant spoke about this a lot. Very few drives are perfectly executed. In fact, you can bank on making a mistake ... missed assignment, penalty, etc. So, you had better have a game plan that includes at least one 35 yd gainer to overcome the disadvantage created by the inevitable mistake. As Bryant observed, no one gets upset because of a mistake. (Ok, maybe Saban does.) It's what you do about it that counts.

Personally, I think Geoff is clueless as a head coach. And it's questionable if he is even that good on defense. I'm just wondering if this was all baked into the decision that TStan made ... "Geoff ... you are going to be terrible. Here's $23 million dollars. Now, go take those arrows in the back and all of the abuse you're going to get. TStan."

Curry was starting to get kind of decent later on. The first years were ROUGH. There are only so many hours in the day, and Collins’ day has got to be more than full, so fitting in that kind of review might need removing something else from your day. However, a coach like Collins only gets to a P5 head coaching position with a lot of mentoring, so he should have the mentors out there.

Who would he get? I’m sure an O’Leary would say “there’s a discipline and toughness problem you need to work on”. Fridge would probably point out mechanics and fundamentals before every getting into wrinkles.

I remember reading about how people repeat mistakes. A clueless person will just keep repeating mistakes. An above-average person will try something different each time. A smart but overconfident person will keep trying the same thing again and again with the belief that they can figure out how to make it work.

This doesn’t look quite like that, but we have many of the same problems to kick off this season as we did for the last two years, and they’re not fixed.

Football is a game of inches. Missing by an inch is the same on the scoreboard as missing by 20 yards. Even in coachspeak, you don’t say that.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer

I remember reading about how people repeat mistakes. A clueless person will just keep repeating mistakes. An above-average person will try something different each time. A smart but overconfident person will keep trying the same thing again and again with the belief that they can figure out how to make it work.
Good point. Reminds me of the movie Groundhog Day.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
No... I understand that. How does that explain the play calling for the rest of the game? Obviously, NIU took something away. Instead of adjust, the O kept doing the same thing for 3-4 possessions. I am more concerned about that, than I am the miscues.

And you will continuously miss the point effort to voice your displeasure

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Agusta, I will not disagree with your point. But my concern is that CDP is also the quarterback coach. And is responsible for QB development. Sims did not look good in his first start of the season, and again, it is up to CDP to get him ready to play. Frigden was a master at QB development. Can CDP find that magic?

And again, I missed the excellent KOs.
Maybe we've seen the max capability of QB 1 and Pnut can do no more with him (?).

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
We can't afford to fire Collins so he will get his chance to right the ship. It does kinda feel like purgatory until we get the money though. It's hard to imagine this year turning into a success after a performance like that and next year's schedule isn't any easier. I would be surprised if we make a bowl game before year 5 of his tenure.
What's the buyout this year?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
The 2nd timeout doesn’t bother me as much as the 1st one

The sequence was

-Big run by JP to the 5

-Hurry up and run up the middle with JP for 3 yards
- 40sec clock reset. We attempt to substitute Jack Coco in but both Dylan Leonard and McGowan appear leave. Then Yates decides to call a huddle (wtf!)
-Yates doesn’t get the play into and relay to the huddle there 8 sec left on the play clock
- the offense walks to the LOS then TO is called

This was horrible!!! No plan, no direction, no focus

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
The 2nd timeout doesn’t bother me as much as the 1st one

The sequence was

-Big run by JP to the 5

-Hurry up and run up the middle with JP for 3 yards
- 40sec clock reset. We attempt to substitute Jack Coco in but both Dylan Leonard and McGowan appear leave. Then Yates decides to call a huddle (wtf!)
-Yates doesn’t get the play into and relay to the huddle there 8 sec left on the play clock
- the offense walks to the LOS then TO is called

This was horrible!!! No plan, no direction, no focus
You see things we civilians don’t. My perception is that this has not been an uncommon occurrence. Is that a bias on my part or do you see the same thing ?