Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't think so. CPJ was taking us down the path of being a perpetual 7-5 team. With a pro style offense, at least we stand a chance of getting a good recruiting class. The problem is that once they get to the flats, Coach Love doesn't have a clue how to make them a bit better. That's a big problem, obviously. Let's just get the right guy in here, one who knows the game of football, who has a good staff, and who can coach them up--not one who is a real expert at loving the players, but not such an expert at increasing the quality of their skills.
We will agree to disagree. Without superior coaching & a strategic advantage, we aren’t going to recruit our way to a double digit win season anymore. It is a much different landscape in CF today. The difference between those recruiting in top 5 and the rest is gargantuan.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think so. CPJ was taking us down the path of being a perpetual 7-5 team. With a pro style offense, at least we stand a chance of getting a good recruiting class. The problem is that once they get to the flats, Coach Love doesn't have a clue how to make them a bit better. That's a big problem, obviously. Let's just get the right guy in here, one who knows the game of football, who has a good staff, and who can coach them up--not one who is a real expert at loving the players, but not such an expert at increasing the quality of their skills.
I don't know if that was the case. Regardless of our offensive system, we need to look to schools like Michigan State and Iowa as models. Their bad years are just below or at .500 and, when the stars align every 4-5 years, they have a great year. We went through a short phase like that in Johnson's tenure

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Agree to disagree. At least with the triple option, we had an identity. After three years of the "me too" offense, I would much rather have throw more resources into recruiting nationally for players to fit our offense. Given what we know now, personally I would have preferred to have gotten the coach at Army who has shown a willingness to tweak the triple option as needed. At this point, it really does not matter except that TStan has a major problem on his hands now.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
9/10 power 5 teams would find this unacceptable and enough to fire their coach. If we let it carry on and don’t at least try a new cheap coach or DC, hello 15k crowds BDS and goodbye future recruiting
Yes. The problem here is that everyone has bought into the "We can't fire him because it would put us too far into debt" meme. It is now time to think seriously about just how far the program can sink with another year of the present staff and what our financial prospects will be if that happens. Sometimes it is better to take on a debt then to keep a failing regime in place. This, imho, is one of those times. I've been a season ticket holder for 28 years. I'm now seriously considering not renewing for next year if Collins and co. are still on the sidelines.

Oh, and btw: the present debacle is a good indicator of just how bad the football judgment of the "big donors" is. They gave us Lewis and now this. Our next coach needs to be someone they actively don't like (*cough* Moncken *cough*) or we could be in major trouble.

SwarmingRound

Georgia Tech Fan
We will agree to disagree. Without superior coaching & a strategic advantage, we aren’t going to recruit our way to a double digit win season anymore. It is a much different landscape in CF today. The difference between those recruiting in top 5 and the rest is gargantuan.
I agree that there is no substitute for raw talent. But let's think of it this way.

Let Geoff Collins and his staff coach UGA, or Alabama, for a season. Are they still dominating teams the way they are now? If you honestly answer yes, then I'd love to hear more.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
I shutter to think about what it will look like next week. uGaG will beat the the brakes off of us and this train wreck will finally be over.

let's role play: if you were TStan: Are there any excuses left that you would accept for this?

slugboy

Staff member
Yes. The problem here is that everyone has bought into the "We can't fire him because it would put us too far into debt" meme. It is now time to think seriously about just how far the program can sink with another year of the present staff and what our financial prospects will be if that happens. Sometimes it is better to take on a debt then to keep a failing regime in place. This, imho, is one of those times. I've been a season ticket holder for 28 years. I'm now seriously considering not renewing for next year if Collins and co. are still on the sidelines.

Oh, and btw: the present debacle is a good indicator of just how bad the football judgment of the "big donors" is. They gave us Lewis and now this. Our next coach needs to be someone they actively don't like (*cough* Moncken *cough*) or we could be in major trouble.
“The big donors gave us Lewis”??
How exactly did that go down?

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I know Collins will probably not get fired after this year, but I'm ready to move on which leads to the question.

Who do y'all think we should go after that we would have a legitimate shot at?

My first choice would be Bill O'Brien. He's a coach that's proven that he can win, has ties to the school, and is more than likely looking for another chance to prove himself.

Second choice would be Jamie Chadwell from Coastal Carolina.

Third Choice is Billy Napier from Louisiana.

SwarmingRound

Georgia Tech Fan
I shutter to think about what it will look like next week. uGaG will beat the the brakes off of us and this train wreck will finally be over.

let's role play: if you were TStan: Are there any excuses left that you would accept for this?
Ego, and money, will ensure that Geoff coaches another two years. Gotta give him 5 years. When they turn on someone quickly (though 3 years is not a short amount of time really), it makes your decision to hire look even more foolish, and it makes potential futures coaches think twice about joining, because they know that the AD will turn on them just as quickly. It stinks, but it's how it is, IMO. Also, I'm sure someone will throw in the "Covid" excuse, though somehow Covid didn't hurt good football teams quite so much.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
You can tell the media has turned on Collins as well. I bet that we will see some sort of statement from Tstan after UGA
Two things happened today on National TV that made me chuckle. First was the Aflac trivia question on the Clemson Wake game was asking the last team to win the ACC not named Clemson or FSU. Both commentators said Georgia Tech(which was incorrect), but Greg MaCalroy openly said “they had some really good years under Coach Johnson. They were sneaky good for awhile”. Then Mike Terico reads that graphic on our game about how we went to 21 bowls in 23 years or whatever and the compared that to our current situation.

I’m not necessarily saying we should have doubled down on the option, but we definitely didn’t realize how good we had it the last few decades. We were a respectable program and bringing in a coach with no experience who’s whole thing was “bringing us back to respectability” in hindsight is rather obtuse.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I agree that there is no substitute for raw talent. But let's think of it this way.

Let Geoff Collins and his staff coach UGA, or Alabama, for a season. Are they still dominating teams the way they are now? If you honestly answer yes, then I'd love to hear more.
We agree some coaches can’t coach, no matter the talent. What I am saying is no matter how good the coach, if running basic stuff, recruiting in top 30 won’t get us to where I want to be in some special seasons. If fortunate, we might win 8-9 every few years. I want the opportunity for even more in special seasons.

We will agree to disagree.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Bill Clark from UAB. Defensive guy, wouldn't break the bank, literally brought a program back from the dead to win the conference a couple times so I don't think he would give us the "biggest transition in the history of college football" bull****.
This program is almost dead, and the eulogy could come next week. So he would be fully qualified for a moribund team. This reminds me of the last two games of Chan‘s tenure. It potentially builds into the off-season. The A.D. felt that pressure.

SwarmingRound

Georgia Tech Fan
We agree some coaches can’t coach, no matter the talent. What I am saying is no matter how good the coach, if running basic stuff, recruiting in top 30 won’t get us to where I want to be in some special seasons. If fortunate, we might win 8-9 every few years. I want the opportunity for even more in special seasons.

We will agree to disagree.
I don't think we're disagreeing that much. We both think that we need (1) a good coach, and (2) a good recruiter (to bring in good players). I think we may also agree that Geoff is neither of those, though he's clearly got the energy and ability to recruit better than CPJ. Either way, I don't think he's our guy. Case closed?