Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
He never had a good QB or OC. That was on him, but those were the two constraints on his reign.
QB talent instate is light years ahead of when Chan was here. GA always produced talented hs players but not qbs. That's really changed in the past decade. He'd have a much better shot at getting a top QB now than back then. Still, there's only ~60ish P5 starting qb jobs out there now, same as back then. Not being able to get one that performed in the top ~25% during his entire tenure was pretty pathetic for an offensive guru.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope we do. I'm not talking about the whole season, just of late. Hope I'm wrong.
Well it’s to be expected that things would slow down when you’re adding the final pieces to the class.

We have 5 composite 4 stars and at least 8 guys who are 4 stars by either rivals or 247.

2 of those are DTs which I can’t ever remember happening. I know we got D Morgan but he was an edge guy.

We also have a 4 star OL and QB who was ranked 9th in the elite 11.

Recruiting is just fine. No need to look for things that are true to critique Collins and Co.

If you want to bash the defense I don’t know if you could find a person to stop you though. It feels like the worst I’ve ever seen and we had some bad defenses with CPJ.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Well it’s to be expected that things would slow down when you’re adding the final pieces to the class.

We have 5 composite 4 stars and at least 8 guys who are 4 stars by either rivals or 247.

2 of those are DTs which I can’t ever remember happening. I know we got D Morgan but he was an edge guy.

We also have a 4 star OL and QB who was ranked 9th in the elite 11.

Recruiting is just fine. No need to look for things that are true to critique Collins and Co.

If you want to bash the defense I don’t know if you could find a person to stop you though. It feels like the worst I’ve ever seen and we had some bad defenses with CPJ.
This season's recruiting, if we can hang on to what we have, is excellent. I just hope it can continue after three 3-win seasons. Hope you're right about the slowdown. I think a win against Notre Dame could really help us a lot.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
This season's recruiting, if we can hang on to what we have, is excellent. I just hope it can continue after three 3-win seasons. Hope you're right about the slowdown. I think a win against Notre Dame could really help us a lot.
I agree we can’t continue to only win 3 games. I think the fact that we’re young and playing closer games allows the staff to say things like “you’re the missing piece” to some top end guys. That can’t continue forever though.

I also hope we hang onto the guys we want.

If we can somehow beat ND I do think it would help. Maybe enough to get Thomas to pull the trigger which would be amazing!

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It is more about recent trends than overall record. They have been around .500 the last 3 years and that is with probably 2 more cupcake games than we get. He also ran their recruiting into the ground. Firing him was the right call, but they are not that attractive a job right now, IMO.
It may have been the "right call" but the competition is about to get really stiff, IF (and that is yet to be seen) Florida and Miami get involved in the new coach sweepstakes. Virginia Tech may come to rue their decision but we will see.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Speaking for myself, I'm not cynical to be fashionable. I'm cynical because of the way I perceive things to be. I'm not cynical because I want to be. I may be wrong, but it's an honest cynicism. I don't get this idea that one can turn his beliefs off and on, like a water spigot. If I see something that I think is real and it inspires my faith, I believe. If I see a cheap imitation sprinkled with stale, phony delusions of unreality, I don't. It is what it is.

In our present situation I don't have faith, but I do have hope that if GC can get himself some good underlings things could improve, even if he himself seems out to lunch. IIWII.

"A cynic is someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." So said Oscar Wilde back in the day.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
It may have been the "right call" but the competition is about to get really stiff, IF (and that is yet to be seen) Florida and Miami get involved in the new coach sweepstakes. Virginia Tech may come to rue their decision but we will see.

Agree they might regret the timing. If better jobs are open, they might be way down the list.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I'm not a cynic about things in general, but I am dubious as to this coach and his overall abilities.
I don’t think you are a cynic at all. My biggest fear is that we get stocked with talent but still win 6-8 every year. It takes a good staff to take it to the next level. I want us to get where anything less than 9 wins is a bad year. I know some are satisfied with 5 or 6 wins but not I.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think you are a cynic at all. My biggest fear is that we get stocked with talent but still win 6-8 every year. It takes a good staff to take it to the next level. I want us to get where anything less than 9 wins is a bad year. I know some are satisfied with 5 or 6 wins but not I.
Absolutely you have to have both good coaching and terrific athletes. So far I think we're improving on the recruiting side of the house. And I think some of our coaches are doing a pretty good job; Choice, Dixon, Knight, Coleman in my mind are the position coaches who've been doing a solid job. And in Choice's case a great job (I think he had some pretty good players coming in, has also recruited some great players, but if you look at what he did at North Texas it's not a surprise he'd have success on both of those fronts). I think Dixon has done a pretty good job with the receivers we had on the roster and I think we've got some good, younger ones that are going to be terrific. Knight and Coleman had very little to work with, IMHO. A few good athletes but nowhere near enough of them and one or two have been injured a lot so haven't been able to contribute as much. And while we aren't getting a ton of pressure on the QB I think the DL is improving and playing a lot of younger guys. I mentioned this in another post that Wiesehan and Key get an incomplete from me. I need to see a bit more. The rest of the assistants and both coordinators haven't been good enough. I almost feel like I dislike Patenaude more as a QB coach than an OC, though I don't really like him in that role, either.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
This program needs a big win BADLY. (really any win at this point) vt fires Fuente? after winning like 36? games in 6 yrs or so.GC would need to win almost 9 a yr for next 3 yrs .Think that is AT ALL possible.? We gave this guy to much rope in contract--7 yrs.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I'm not a cynic about things in general, but I am dubious as to this coach and his overall abilities. It would help my cynicism if he could at least just learn when to call time out.
I don't know about all that...I was just trying to show off my knowledge of stuff that does not matter which is befitting my liberal arts degree.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I hope you are young, in great health, very patient and are an eternal optimist. You are likely to be waiting a long…long time for that paradigm. Almost anyone here would seriously consider selling his or her soul if 9 wins each year was the norm.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
QB talent instate is light years ahead of when Chan was here. GA always produced talented hs players but not qbs. That's really changed in the past decade. He'd have a much better shot at getting a top QB now than back then. Still, there's only ~60ish P5 starting qb jobs out there now, same as back then. Not being able to get one that performed in the top ~25% during his entire tenure was pretty pathetic for an offensive guru.
He had one on the way, but the idiots ran him off and the QB went to Cutcliff instead.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I had a college English professor who had us memorize soliloquies from Shakespeare. He said it would be great to use at parties if things got dull. 😊
When I used to play cards with my father and took too long on a move...he would say "Lay on MacDuff". Until I got to college I did not realize it was from Macbeth.

Jolly Good Fellow
Cutcliffe should be on that list. He’s not getting fired, but he’s at the end of the line.

The bookies messed up. People would have taken that bet.

I’d like Goff back at UGA. They owe him another shot.

I know Meyer retired for a year, but he found Ohio State to be less of a pressure cooker than FL

Google "SEC Player of the Year 1976"
As Thomas Wolfe wrote, "You Can Never Go Home Again"................

slugboy

Staff member
846915E9-4430-4A9C-9E3B-C908651BA9CA.jpeg
We have over FOUR THOUSAND replies to this thread.
Willy Wonka Suspense GIF

Jolly Good Fellow
Google "SEC Player of the Year 1976"
As Thomas Wolfe wrote, "You Can Never Go Home Again"................
And, thinking of Zaxby's, we have our own very similar example....
No one mentions Bill Curry when Tech fans name our all-time team...even though Bill, while maybe not #1 GOAT Tech centers, is certainly 1A.....
Reminding me of when Bill came to Tech in 1976 to coach OL...his first coaching gig.... during a position player meeting during two-a-days that summer, he quoted Nietzsche, on good vs evil.... we all thought he was talking about Green Bay Packers middle LB Ray Nitschke.....

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow

The challenge was Reggie. He quelled recruiting for years. Who wants to be the multi-year backup to the ACCROTY and entrenched starter?

Your basic catch-22. Reggie was good enough (or had a pedigree that was good enough) to scare off competition, but wasn't really particularly good... AARGH.