Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It’s easy to be cynical. Hell, it’s fashionable. It’s also safe. You can be ridiculed for believing too much in someone or something, but believing too little? That’s a measure of mental toughness.
Agree 100%. Our culture feels like it’s in a death spiral of cynicism. It makes it extremely hard to solve any problem that requires committee work, collaboration or popular support. Standing on the sideline taking pot shots at those struggling to get something done, undercutting and then later saying “I told you so,” is the American default position now. Accomplishing nothing while being smug about other people’s public failures is our safe harbor.

Thanks for letting me rant. I know you’re there for me. 😊

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Meyer is a guy I hope TStan has on his "I may need to call this guy" list. Meyer's daughter & son-in-law are Tech grads and former lettermen.
Meyer will not be taking the GT job and giving us a tremendous hometown discount - he is a 6 million and up guy. He is a good coach and recruiter, but it ain't happening, even with the connections. Even if we could afford him, there would be zero money for assistants.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It’s easy to be cynical. Hell, it’s fashionable. It’s also safe. You can be ridiculed for believing too much in someone or something, but believing too little? That’s a measure of mental toughness.
Speaking for myself, I'm not cynical to be fashionable. I'm cynical because of the way I perceive things to be. I'm not cynical because I want to be. I may be wrong, but it's an honest cynicism. I don't get this idea that one can turn his beliefs off and on, like a water spigot. If I see something that I think is real and it inspires my faith, I believe. If I see a cheap imitation sprinkled with stale, phony delusions of unreality, I don't. It is what it is.

In our present situation I don't have faith, but I do have hope that if GC can get himself some good underlings things could improve, even if he himself seems out to lunch. IIWII.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Speaking for myself, I'm not cynical to be fashionable. I'm cynical because of the way I perceive things to be. I'm not cynical because I want to be. I may be wrong, but it's an honest cynicism. I don't get this idea that one can turn his beliefs off and on, like a water spigot. If I see something that I think is real and it inspires my faith, I believe. If I see a cheap imitation sprinkled with stale, phony delusions of unreality, I don't. It is what it is.

In our present situation I don't have faith, but I do have hope that if GC can get himself some good underlings things could improve, even if he himself seems out to lunch. IIWII.
Mental toughness!

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Collins IMO is a mixed bag. He recruits well, looks after the total person, and has built a culture where the kids play hard. On the other hand—and as opposed to Bobby Ross, whose teams even in his losing years just seemed to always hang around and be in the game—Collins' teams seem to find a way to lose the game. When the team does lose the game he is terrible addressing fans and the media.

Assuming recruiting continues to be improved, we will get better and we will win more. However, I think unless the coaching flaws are fixed—and IMO they are quite fixable—then Collins' ceiling will be 8 wins. The kids work hard and play hard for Collins. Infuse talent into that and we will win despite ourselves. Better players make coaches look smarter. But we will be limited on the upside if Collins can't improve game day coaching and quit making the same mistakes over and over.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Collins IMO is a mixed bag. He recruits well, looks after the total person, and has built a culture where the kids play hard. On the other hand—and as opposed to Bobby Ross, whose teams even in his losing years just seemed to always hang around and be in the game—Collins' teams seem to find a way to lose the game. When the team does lose the game he is terrible addressing fans and the media.

Assuming recruiting continues to be improved, we will get better and we will win more. However, I think unless the coaching flaws are fixed—and IMO they are quite fixable—then Collins' ceiling will be 8 wins. The kids work hard and play hard for Collins. Infuse talent into that and we will win despite ourselves. Better players make coaches look smarter. But we will be limited on the upside if Collins can't improve game day coaching and quit making the same mistakes over and over.
I think the recruiting will continue to be improved only if we start winning. Blind faith only lasts so long. I think we're at the crossroads now. A really big upset in South Bend would be just what the doctor ordered.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

My most frustrated years of being a Tech fan were under Gailey. He had the talent to beat Georgia but never did. He had the talent to rule the ACC but never did. He had the talent to pull off monumental upsets but never did. His talent pool got better and better but he stayed stuck at 7-8 wins a season.

I do not want that for Collins. I want him to coach this team up to and above its talent level. The Tech greats in our coaching heritage always did that.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think the recruiting will continue to be improved only if we start winning. Blind faith only lasts so long. I think we're at the crossroads now. A really big upset in South Bend would be just what the doctor ordered.
I agree with you because you are correct 😊

Had Collins even gotten to 6-6 this year, and not even gone to or won a bowl, recruiting would have hit the next level. He has the salesmanship down pat. But selling a product that actually works is kind of important.

Maybe next year? 😐

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you because you are correct 😊

Had Collins even gotten to 6-6 this year, and not even gone to or won a bowl, recruiting would have hit the next level. He has the salesmanship down pat. But selling a product that actually works is kind of important.

Maybe next year? 😐
I think recruiting has already fallen off, but a win in South Bend would reinvigorate. This is a big game if the Jackets can pull it off. Faith is fleeting, but hope springs eternal.

flygtfly

Georgia Tech Fan
Remember the good ole’ days when we used to complain about going to bowl games but not winning them. I sure do miss the good ole’ days.

Dress2Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
My most frustrated years of being a Tech fan were under Gailey. He had the talent to beat Georgia but never did. He had the talent to rule the ACC but never did. He had the talent to pull off monumental upsets but never did. His talent pool got better and better but he stayed stuck at 7-8 wins a season.

I do not want that for Collins. I want him to coach this team up to and above its talent level. The Tech greats in our coaching heritage always did that.
He never had a good QB or OC. That was on him, but those were the two constraints on his reign.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I think recruiting has already fallen off, but a win in South Bend would reinvigorate. This is a big game if the Jackets can pull it off. Faith is fleeting, but hope springs eternal.
Right as we are about to flip a highly rated corner from Mississippi State. There's lot to ***** about this season but recruiting certainly isn't one of them.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Bagger: And that’s just about the dumbest thing I heard any fool say. Ever. You got yourself a hard eye, there, Mr. Junuh. Soul is born with everything, then dies…. You a funny man, Mr. Junuh.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck

8 ???? Man I do admire the optimism and faith, but he did it once at Temple....