Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I would imagine TStan and Collins will work together on this. TStan needs to take him under his wing and help guide his choice.

I think TStan is letting CGC run his program the way he sees fit...for now. You don't want to take over and make decisions for a new coach...otherwise word gets out and coaches won't want to work for you in the future.

I also believe that TStan isn't dumb, and will probably talk to CGC about improvements he can make to the football program. After 3 years of doing things the way you've been doing it with the people you came in with, the same results should be impetus for change. What those changes are TBD. CGC came from the SEC...he's familiar with what happens to coaches who don't perform. That HCs and assistants.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
No one is doing that. Quit making up arguments that don't exist
Look around this is the worse the ACC has been in years, and some are ok with 3 wins and think we are improving because we have some close losses so settling for moral victories , The players are better but without good coaching 6 or 7 wins ain't going to happen. Just look at last week 3 minutes and we have to punt and we run a minute off the clock before we get the punt off, and this is a coaching problem.

Richard7125

Jolly Good Fellow
Look around this is the worse the ACC has been in years, and some are ok with 3 wins and think we are improving because we have some close losses so settling for moral victories , The players are better but without good coaching 6 or 7 wins ain't going to happen. Just look at last week 3 minutes and we have to punt and we run a minute off the clock before we get the punt off, and this is a coaching problem.
I actually think the ACC is slightly better this year than in many previous years. Clemson is down in a big way, but we are not in their class so that doesn't really matter.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Change is coming, do doubt. The main concern isn't this board exploding, but ticket sales imploding.
A change is needed to give the fans a glimmer of hope next year. We can afford to bump up assistant salaries easier than buying out a HC contract. I would like to see a former QB hired to tutor Sims. Obviously need to change the DC. The numbers speak for themselves and still haven't played the best two teams on the schedule.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Any coordinator we hire will get 2 years to install his system. Realistically, Collins will get to hire 1 more set of coordinators and if they don't work out, he is done. At a minimum, he will want someone with a track record at the FBS level if he is going to wager the rest of his tenure and future as a head coach
If he is smart he will realize that gets him to his fifth year of his contract.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
The numbers speak for themselves and still haven't played the best two teams on the schedule.

To be honest we have not faced a good team all year. Maybe you say Pitt is good but honestly any other year and they are middle of the pack ACC team.

We have 1 maybe 2 good teams on our schedule and we haven't played them yet. Our rankings/numbers will get ugly after them.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
We have lowered our standards, 3 win is the floor? I remember everyone getting upset when an AD said seven Wins is our ceiling and maybe sometimes 9 wins every few years.
And here we are with CGC and people still defending him in hopes that in a few more years we can get 6 wins. When he learns to quit blowing his horn about how good he thinks he is and stops trying to be friends with the players 30 years younger than him and starts coaching it ain't going to happen.
I don't mean floor in terms of what is acceptable. I mean floor meaning if everything goes wrong this is where we end up. ...and we've done that twice in a row looking like we're headed for a third.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Any coordinator we hire will get 2 years to install his system. Realistically, Collins will get to hire 1 more set of coordinators and if they don't work out, he is done. At a minimum, he will want someone with a track record at the FBS level if he is going to wager the rest of his tenure and future as a head coach
I understand that is what will happen. But the thought of Collins picking his next batch scares me. If the best he could find in his Rolodex for his “dream” job was Thacker and Patenaude then I’m scared to death what his plan “B” will be. The only upside is whoever his next set is can’t be worse so I guess that’s a plus. My belief is that this is going to be a lost decade for GT football. I only hope we are still viable when the big reshuffling happens.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Moral victories are fine once in a while, but week after week they get old.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I understand that is what will happen. But the thought of Collins picking his next batch scares me. If the best he could find in his Rolodex for his “dream” job was Thacker and Patenaude then I’m scared to death what his plan “B” will be. The only upside is whoever his next set is can’t be worse so I guess that’s a plus. My belief is that this is going to be a lost decade for GT football. I only hope we are still viable when the big reshuffling happens.

See, the next ones absolutely could be worse.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
TStan needs to lean on him. I hope he doesn't get free reign.

Sort of like God saying to Moses, "Come, let us reason together" - hardly an equal partnership in decision-making.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
He's never going to say exactly what you guys want. Do you let others tell you how to speak? He is who he is but most of us here are educated enough to read between the lines.
Yes, but ... as Bobby Dodd said, "It's up to the head coach to put butts in the seats." Recruits are not his only audience. He's losing the season ticket holders. THAT should be a concern.