Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
TBH the more I think about it, the more I believe next year hopefully will be better. I still fully believe that changes with Collins approach and staff need to be made. But what is our real metric on how long Collins transition should take to get us back to winning seasons and bowl visits

We got lucky with CPJ his first years due to having good recruits from the Gaily years and an offense that gave us an advantage.

Now look back at let's say Clemson. I remember when Dabo first started, they were not great. It took a minute for them to get where they were up until this season AND support grew with their fan base and money coming in

I'm not saying we get to Clemson status and not discounting Collins issues so far, but what I am seeing is that our offense is improving

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I understand that is what will happen. But the thought of Collins picking his next batch scares me. If the best he could find in his Rolodex for his “dream” job was Thacker and Patenaude then I’m scared to death what his plan “B” will be. The only upside is whoever his next set is can’t be worse so I guess that’s a plus. My belief is that this is going to be a lost decade for GT football. I only hope we are still viable when the big reshuffling happens.
I'm not convinced Patenaude is a problem at the moment. We still have yet to see an OL full of players this staff has recruited, and what we have are really not playing well. We basically have no short yardage run plays for example, and that limits what the OC can call throughout the game. I'm also not sure what a new OC installing his offense would look like especially with the limitations of the OL.

On defense, I think a lot of CGC's identity is in being an "elite" defensive coach. By that I mean, he wants to have the room to take over the defense or make changes however he wants to. I really doubt he would hire anyone that's not an up-and-comer as a DC. Our best bet (not sure how it would turn out), would be for him to take over as DC and HC (like CPJ did for offense) and move Thacker to LB coach.

So my guess is we will see the safetys and/or corners coaches replaced at most. Maybe the TE coach too. I really am not expecting any big changes after this year.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We have lowered our standards, 3 win is the floor? I remember everyone getting upset when an AD said seven Wins is our ceiling and maybe sometimes 9 wins every few years.
And here we are with CGC and people still defending him in hopes that in a few more years we can get 6 wins. When he learns to quit blowing his horn about how good he thinks he is and stops trying to be friends with the players 30 years younger than him and starts coaching it ain't going to happen.
Yes, this is very frustrating to me. We had many fonts here complaining about mediocre results. Many of them are now hoping for 6 wins next year after three seasons of failure. Let me repeat that: FAILURE. I was willing to wait for a couple of years and I expected that we wouldn't be all that good our first year. By now I expected we would be back to the normal Tech standard of 7 wins a year. Instead, we get excuses for FAILURE. Again and again.

It's like Master Yoda said: "Do or do not. There is no try."

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Bill Lewis, the guy whose name people won't even type out on message boards, had 11 wins in 3 seasons.
Just throwin' that out there.
Wasn’t he a pretty good recruiter? Didn’t we sign the number one player in the country at his position? Seems like it was Derrick Stegall or something like that. I tried to forget those years.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We got lucky with CPJ his first years due to having good recruits from the Gaily years and an offense that gave us an advantage.
2014 was Paul's 7th year. 2016 was his 9th. To recall, we were 11 - 3 in 2014 and ended up ranked 7; in 2016 we were 9 - 4 and curbed stomped a favored SEC team in our bowl game. Oh, and we beat Georgia both years.

So much for early success with Gailey recruits.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Another option.

Give O'Leary and Frigden $100k each to come in and teach the coordinators how to coach over the next year. You don't have to make it public. Just have them coach the coaches up. Not that expensive.

Or, let the Fridge coach Sims in spring and fall of next year.

This does not have to be difficult.
Good idea. What I suggested several months ago.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I was thinking about this more this morning.

Every team has a range of outcomes for any give season with a floor and a ceiling. What frustrates me most about our program right now when I get past the emotion is that for three straight years it feels like we are hitting the floor. Many have pointed out that we are “close” and “improving,” but it’s not materializing into what actually matters - WINS. At our very worst our floor should be three wins in a season. And we are about to do that for the third straight year. That’s very frustrating and evidence of a fundamental problem with what our staff is doing.
In the ACC and 2 cupcakes, the floor should be 7-5. Occasionally winning 8,9, or 10. Throw in a really great year every 5-10 years. We fired Gailey because he couldn’t get over the floor.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Another option.

Give O'Leary and Frigden $100k each to come in and teach the coordinators how to coach over the next year. You don't have to make it public. Just have them coach the coaches up. Not that expensive.

Or, let the Fridge coach Sims in spring and fall of next year.

This does not have to be difficult.
I'm not sure bringing in 2 74+ year olds that haven't coached in 6 years is going to yield any useful results.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yes, this is very frustrating to me. We had many fonts here complaining about mediocre results. Many of them are now hoping for 6 wins next year after three seasons of failure.
Do you feel it's more rational to hope for an undefeated season for 2022?
I was willing to wait for a couple of years and I expected that we wouldn't be all that good our first year.
Other than your willingness to wait, do you actually have any alternatives? I guess you could simply no longer care. Personally, after all these years of caring, that's not an option for me. I will say this, however. All of us have our own tolerance threshold for poor play and losing seasons. So, I am not going to criticize you for wanting more than six wins next year.
By now I expected we would be back to the normal Tech standard of 7 wins a year. Instead, we get excuses for FAILURE. Again and again.
Other than GTSwarm posters, who is giving you excuses for failure? I think our coaches are definitely feeling the pain of these losses. Probably much more that you or I. What I have heard them say is that there are issues and they are making changes and coaching up players in an attempt to improve their play. It is not an "excuse" to say we had a number of big plays called back that could have changed the game. If that is not true, call out the untruthfulness.

We are all frustrated that the record is 3-6 instead of 6-3. The players and coaches are feeling it much more than Swarm posters. And we are not feeling heat from the AD or AA to explain why things are not going as well as hoped. I am frustrated that posters feel it's necessary, on page 122 of this thread, to repeatedly post the same message. But, as a mod, I will continue doing exactly what I am doing =>making sure we treat each other with respect.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
I just want a consistent winning team!!!! I could care less who the freaking coach is. I just want to win!!! I’m sick and tired of ****ing losing. No more ****ing excuses. Just win and win the right way.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I just want a consistent winning team!!!!
Be careful what you wish for my friend! Not sure how long you have been a fan but CCG was the absolute master at this over the last 3 or 4 decades and guess what....the majority of the fans hated him too iirc.

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you feel it's more rational to hope for an undefeated season for 2022?

Other than your willingness to wait, do you actually have any alternatives? I guess you could simply no longer care. Personally, after all these years of caring, that's not an option for me. I will say this, however. All of us have our own tolerance threshold for poor play and losing seasons. So, I am not going to criticize you for wanting more than six wins next year.

Other than GTSwarm posters, who is giving you excuses for failure? I think our coaches are definitely feeling the pain of these losses. Probably much more that you or I. What I have heard them say is that there are issues and they are making changes and coaching up players in an attempt to improve their play. It is not an "excuse" to say we had a number of big plays called back that could have changed the game. If that is not true, call out the untruthfulness.

We are all frustrated that the record is 3-6 instead of 6-3. The players and coaches are feeling it much more than Swarm posters. And we are not feeling heat from the AD or AA to explain why things are not going as well as hoped. I am frustrated that posters feel it's necessary, on page 122 of this thread, to repeatedly post the same message. But, as a mod, I will continue doing exactly what I am doing =>making sure we treat each other with respect.
The excuses have to stop. In year 4 the vast majority of the recruits are Collins. I am sure he will still try to hang onto the thread of dramatic changes in offense but in year 4 that just doesn't play. His other excuse is the schedule. Our out of conference next year includes Ga, Ole Miss and UCF. Our other cross division opponent is FSU in 2022. GA obviously is a major challenge. Ole Miss is inconsistent and UCF has had a very mediocre year so both are certainly games we can win. FSU remains mediocre. Our division has every team at no more talent than we have with the possible exception of UNC. So basically Clemson, GA and maybe UNC have more talent. The rest don't. If Collins uses the transition from 3O or the schedule as an excuse for 2022 performance, he will have zero credibility.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The excuses have to stop.
OrientalNC asked another poster above and did not get a reply. What is CGC or TStan actually saying in their recent pressers that give you and others the impression that they are making excuses? I ask this in all sincerity as I rarely watch AD or coach press conferences anymore and haven't for a number of years. To be frank, I find them a bit repetitive and not worthy of the time invested in them. I will sometimes listen to the players' pressers IF I can hear the questions.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Be careful what you wish for my friend! Not sure how long you have been a fan but CCG was the absolute master at this over the last 3 or 4 decades and guess what....the majority of the fans hated him too iirc.
I always like Chan his only problem was he couldn’t every find a great quarterback. Reggie Ball was good but not great. Really that’s been our main problem since Godsey.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
OrientalNC asked another poster above and did not get a reply. What is CGC or TStan actually saying in their recent pressers that give you and others the impression that they are making excuses? I ask this in all sincerity as I rarely watch AD or coach press conferences anymore and haven't for a number of years. To be frank, I find them a bit repetitive and not worthy of the time invested in them. I will sometimes listen to the players' pressers IF I can hear the questions.
You know the funny thing I just get my Alexander-Tharpe fund in the mail today wanting more money. The real funny part is what they say under the Athletic Directors initiative ( as the 2021 -22 year takes shape, it remains important that Georgia Tech Athletics has the ability to be nimble and react quickly to an ever changing landscape . this can be used at the discretion of the Director of Athletics to address unexpected critical needs as they arise.
makes you think.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
You know the funny thing I just get my Alexander-Tharpe fund in the mail today wanting more money. The real funny part is what they say under the Athletic Directors initiative ( as the 2021 -22 year takes shape, it remains important that Georgia Tech Athletics has the ability to be nimble and react quickly to an ever changing landscape . this can be used at the discretion of the Director of Athletics to address unexpected critical needs as they arise.
makes you think.
The AA keeps sending these out, along with more emails than ever. I guess when you give less, the phone calls come as a bonus. When I mention fixed income, there is only so much a person can afford and that the B.O.R. allows bonds for debt, they give me the budget for next year excuse. I said isn’t that a July 1 need that should give me until the end of next May? It’s like a monthly collection call. Must be looking at AT points/previous donations. If my Alma Mater or yours called us up like GT does, we would be broke.

I think I get your overlying point, that TStan can do whatever he pleases with the supposed discretionary funds and how we are not getting a top shelf product for our money. Mostly, football stays on the bottom rack in a pile of dust turned into dirt.

Pardon me for putting this here, but most of the fonts are perusing the football threads. I appreciate this site for allowing a topic like this one, to be present. The Hive has never allowed it, nor too many controversial topics. Also, my ad blocker plus is not a problem here. And may God bless this staff for what abuse they take from us. I never hear them complain, with tolerance and patience for how far the nonsense can get. So much more peaceful since that click left. Thank you!

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure bringing in 2 74+ year olds that haven't coached in 6 years is going to yield any useful
makes you think.
Hmmmmmmm!