Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It seems like I have been reading for three years now from posters that the problem is our offensive line and that is why we have struggled. Can we move on from that argument? It is tedious.

The problem is deeper. Losing several minutes off the clock every game because of poor clock management is not the fault of the OL. Missing open receivers is not the fault of the OL. Most of the penalties and fumbles had nothing to do with the OL. Giving up over 500 yards in offense to the other team is not the OL. Players out of position or poor effort is not the OL. Head scratching play calling is not the fault of the OL. Most of the missed field goals the last 3 years, and especially this year, were not because of the OL.

There are plenty of teams with poor OL that win more than 3 games.

I am seriously not trying to dump on CGC. I STILL want him to stick around and pull this program out of the fire. But if people need the catharsis of analyzing why things are so dreadful let’s at least not come up with simplistic answers like “it’s because of the guys we have on the OL.” Remember it was last year that CGC was bragging about how much taller, heavier and better our OL was than what he inherited.

Let’s just win another couple of games this year and maybe the pitchfork mob will settle back down for a while.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Let’s just win another couple of games this year and maybe the pitchfork mob will settle back down for a while.
You start off great with asking to not put it all on the OLine. I agree. Then you do exactly what you are asking others not do in referencing the pitchfork crowd. It’s not a mob. Most on here all want Collins to succeed and supported him. However, as the ineptitude piles up everyone chooses for themselves when they jump off. For some it was after the Citadel. Others it was after that record setting loss to Clemson. For most, it’s been this season of continued problems week after week. It’s not a pitch fork mob, it’s a want to see any improvement mob. It’s not there. I’ve posted before how my son (current GT student who was born a Yellow Jacket) and I now bet on which quarter we will waste a timeout due to either not getting defensive subs off or not getting plays in. Sure, enough we had one in the 2nd quarter. And then got a penalty for it in the 3rd. It’s every freaking week.

And you will get your wish. The “mob” will calm down. It‘s called apathy. We’ve noticed it on this board. There is no where near the number of folks posting now as in September. The stands are becoming more and more empty. We all hope we beat BC. I’ll be watching from the couch because I’m not spending another 12 hour travel day for this current product. The Pitt and VT games did me in from an attendance standpoint. But I have seen nothing that indicates we won’t allow Jurkovec to set a season high against us. And with an OC who doesn’t allow our QB to throw over the middle we won’t move the ball enough to out score them. Gibbs will make some highlight reel runs, Sims will have some nice runs, Carter will catch a deep ball but that’s all we are right now.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
All over the country that last few day schools have been letting assistant coaches go. We we better be letting some ours go or I’m going to blow a gasket. We know ours not working out so what to lose to try something different!!!!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
There is no where near the number of folks posting now as in September.
I would push back somewhat on the apathy. There is some element (the majority imo who post here) that realizes that they have already said everything they can say about where we are and are content with their contributions and let them rest on their own merits. Unfortunately, we have a small minority (and I am guessing that you could name them as well as the rest of us) that confuses typing more or less the same talking points over multiple threads as contributing to the discourse here. Really, when is the last time you read anything that gave you pause and caused you to say, "Wow, I hadn't thought of that before?".

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I always like Chan his only problem was he couldn’t every find a great quarterback. Reggie Ball was good but not great. Really that’s been our main problem since Godsey.

Nesbitt was pretty darn good (Led us to the ACC Championship, 1st team All ACC, and almost single handidly kept us in games the early part of 2008). Justin Thomas was pretty darn good (OB win and top 10 ranking). Tevin Washington would have been thought of more highly if our defense wasn't atrocious during his time as our starter.

The irony of Gailey is that when he was fired, he had three 4 star QBs he either signed (Nesbitt, Threet) or had committed to us (Renfree).

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Nesbitt was pretty darn good (Led us to the ACC Championship, 1st team All ACC, and almost single handidly kept us in games the early part of 2008). Justin Thomas was pretty darn good (OB win and top 10 ranking). Tevin Washington would have been thought of more highly if our defense wasn't atrocious during his time as our starter.

The irony of Gailey is that when he was fired, he had three 4 star QBs he either signed (Nesbitt, Threet) or had committed to us (Renfree).
Great not good. We had good quarterbacks over the years but not great ones. As bad is our defense has been this year and they have been bad if we had a great quarterback we be 8 and 1 right now. That’s how much the perception can change.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You start off great with asking to not put it all on the OLine. I agree. Then you do exactly what you are asking others not do in referencing the pitchfork crowd. It’s not a mob. Most on here all want Collins to succeed and supported him. However, as the ineptitude piles up everyone chooses for themselves when they jump off. For some it was after the Citadel. Others it was after that record setting loss to Clemson. For most, it’s been this season of continued problems week after week. It’s not a pitch fork mob, it’s a want to see any improvement mob. It’s not there. I’ve posted before how my son (current GT student who was born a Yellow Jacket) and I now bet on which quarter we will waste a timeout due to either not getting defensive subs off or not getting plays in. Sure, enough we had one in the 2nd quarter. And then got a penalty for it in the 3rd. It’s every freaking week.

And you will get your wish. The “mob” will calm down. It‘s called apathy. We’ve noticed it on this board. There is no where near the number of folks posting now as in September. The stands are becoming more and more empty. We all hope we beat BC. I’ll be watching from the couch because I’m not spending another 12 hour travel day for this current product. The Pitt and VT games did me in from an attendance standpoint. But I have seen nothing that indicates we won’t allow Jurkovec to set a season high against us. And with an OC who doesn’t allow our QB to throw over the middle we won’t move the ball enough to out score them. Gibbs will make some highlight reel runs, Sims will have some nice runs, Carter will catch a deep ball but that’s all we are right now.
That’s fair. Pitchfork mob was a metaphor. I was not trying to denigrate the dissatisfaction of others.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I'm not convinced Patenaude is a problem at the moment. We still have yet to see an OL full of players this staff has recruited, and what we have are really not playing well. We basically have no short yardage run plays for example, and that limits what the OC can call throughout the game. I'm also not sure what a new OC installing his offense would look like especially with the limitations of the OL.

On defense, I think a lot of CGC's identity is in being an "elite" defensive coach. By that I mean, he wants to have the room to take over the defense or make changes however he wants to. I really doubt he would hire anyone that's not an up-and-comer as a DC. Our best bet (not sure how it would turn out), would be for him to take over as DC and HC (like CPJ did for offense) and move Thacker to LB coach.

So my guess is we will see the safetys and/or corners coaches replaced at most. Maybe the TE coach too. I really am not expecting any big changes after this year.
DC is way too much of a fulltime job for Collins to handle that, he doesn’t need more added to his plate imo

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually don’t think anyone (coordinators) gets fired at the end of this year. If someone does, it’s a concession that the coaching is not up to par, and that major improvement better happen in next year or so. And I don’t think that is the message we are going to send CGC. Once we send that message, if the product doesn’t improve we have to fire CGC. Given our financial condition, that is just not realistic.

TruckStick

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually don’t think anyone (coordinators) gets fired at the end of this year. If someone does, it’s a concession that the coaching is not up to par, and that major improvement better happen in next year or so. And I don’t think that is the message we are going to send CGC. Once we send that message, if the product doesn’t improve we have to fire CGC. Given our financial condition, that is just not realistic.
Not so fast my friend.. how much pressure will be there when the thugs pounce us 61-3. Everybody will be feeling it. It just comes down to who gets to make the decision to deflect.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I think it is very important to change out assistants after this year if not sooner. But the new set of assistants gets 2 years to make a difference. Then we can fire CGC without causing as much financial hit if he can't make significant improvements.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Not so fast my friend.. how much pressure will be there when the thugs pounce us 61-3. Everybody will be feeling it. It just comes down to who gets to make the decision to deflect.
Perhaps. I’d be more embarrassed about losing to NIU or having an empty stadium on national TV for the UGA game then getting crushed by UGA as they are rolling everyone. So would be silly for that to tip the cap. But you are probably right.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps. I’d be more embarrassed about losing to NIU or having an empty stadium on national TV for the UGA game then getting crushed by UGA as they are rolling everyone. So would be silly for that to tip the cap. But you are probably right.
Well I can assure you that the stadium will be far from empty against UGA…

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
The coaching on offense is actually pretty good, and I'll support a stat-- and not and just opinion--to support that view.

This offense is No.44 in yards per play. By comparison, in Johnson's last year, we were No. 41. When you consider that we don't have the players we need on the O-line or at tight end, the staff has done a pretty good job with what they have to work with. I have to say that I am surprised by the No. 44 ranking.

The problem is clearly on defense. We are No. 106 in yards per play. Our talent is better than 106. Staff changes have to be made on that side of the ball. And before people start, Collins is the head coach, not the DC. It's Thacker et al who need to be leading the improvement on D. That's what they are paid for.

Stansbury needs to come up with $$$ to hire some new coaching talent on D.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Be careful what you wish for my friend! Not sure how long you have been a fan but CCG was the absolute master at this over the last 3 or 4 decades and guess what....the majority of the fans hated him too iirc.
I’d love to have CCG right about now (never thought I’d say that)

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
NIU is bowl quaified with 3 games to go. VT is probably a worse loss.