Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

Animal02

Banned
@bke1984 If we’re considering switching coaches this year which I think is unlikely, we’re going to need to “Hewitt” the contract. We’re going to need to take the $14M and spread it out over 8 or 10 years. 3K GT supporters gave $2.9M this past year specifically to keep us from defaulting on our bills or drawing on a line of credit. I think between renewed interest in the program & folks willing to fork over more, it could be possible. That being said, if we eat 1 more year of this we end up only needing to pay off $7M. You could pay that off fairly quickly, maybe 4 years or less.

This brings up the #2 conundrum. I know assistants generally are not promised anything & usually are on 1 year deals, but we already ran Woody out of town after 1 year. If we can coordinators, then a year later cashier our coach & he gets rid of all of them, well maybe he finds a difficult time because outside of all the other challenges GT presents, job instability is not there either.

The budget is a definite issue. We lost almost $3M last fiscal year despite severely reduced operations and I believe salary cuts. We needed emergency fundraising to make it up. I’m guessing we’ll be $1M or more in the hole this year (hoping the Benz deal is worth $1M/yr), probably worst case $3M in the red. Can’t find a recent financial report & am guessing based on past history, projecting football revenue losses due to poor gate/season ticket sales. I’m also thinking more people are going to be sitting on their wallets Given our troubles and no plan.

My bet: the entire staff is here next year. They’ll have 1 more year to turn it around & Tstan is going to have a very hard year if things go poorly. He’d better hope for a miracle 6-6 record.
If we only get a million a year from the Benz deal. TStan should get fired immediately.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
We all want to see Collins succeed. Problem is he never has seemed like he is head coach material. Even if we start changing coordinators, I don’t think that will change much since he will still be head coach. Furthermore, not many good coordinators will take their chance knowing if Collins does not have a good year, he will probably be gone next year and them also. So bottom line, we are stuck for another year.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Financially, we REALLY need for Collins to succeed.

I just am not seeing the progression OR the attitude that I think is necessary to make it.

Hope I'm wrong.
Money makes the program run. We really can’t afford to keep him or get rid of him unfortunately. Who the hell keeps putting Engineers in charge of running this business?

LibertyTurns

Banned
If we only get a million a year from the Benz deal. TStan should get fired immediately.
We were already going to make the same amount in ticket sales whether the game is at Bobby Dodd or the Benz. The deal was that the Benz would draw more fans. Tennessee game we drew 75k & GT received $2.5M from Chik Fil-A. We had 5 games scheduled, the Notre Dame game got the axe. No $$ from that. This year I didn’t see any uplift from being at the Benz except for maybe 1-2k more UNC fans. Next year is Clemp on Labor Day weekend, I’m assuming Chik Fil-A. Probably have 60k fans and we should get $2.5M, maybe $3M. Year after that is TBD and I’m expecting the obligatory ACC suck *** team with no extra gate, year 5 is the Domers again. Assuming they flock down here and we have 60k at the game that will be worth $1.5M in extra gate. By my math that’s $4M for 4 games, $1M per game. I was being charitable adding $1M to this year because I don’t think we’ll see any $$ until next year.

This Benz deal only works if we have more people at the game. It’s not like they’re paying us to play there.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That's a great way to ensure we never have a quality coach interested in Georgia Tech as a career move...
Not if he gets some good assistants and thrives. Collins had his people in here, the ones he brought with him from Temple, They didn't work out.

It's not that unheard of for an AD to take some of the reins away from the HC. It's been done before.

Last edited:

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Another option.

Give O'Leary and Frigden $100k each to come in and teach the coordinators how to coach over the next year. You don't have to make it public. Just have them coach the coaches up. Not that expensive.

Or, let the Fridge coach Sims in spring and fall of next year.

This does not have to be difficult.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I’m absolutely saying we should continue to find cheap young coaches until we find one that is legit. We can go thru many of these for a lesser price tag than getting a loser retread (like we did under CPJ). We took a shot with Patenaude and he stinks. Cut bait and go to the next one. There is no real alternative because we can’t afford a proven guy.

Our choices are 1) ride it out another 4 year with these guys, 2) fire the OC and DC and hire proven D1 guys (not gonna happen), 3) hire mediocre D1 coordinators at a big price tag, 4) try a young cheap guy and if he sucks hire the next cheap young guy.

Does anyone remember we had Spurrier on staff and let him go to Duke and the rest is history. But I’m sure we’ll hire a retread OC and DC and dig ourselves deeper into the financial hole.
Yeah, I mean, if it's a crap shoot anyway, why not? These guys might get paid millions, but it isn't rocket science. Football is football whether it's played at the DII level or P-5. Time to start thinking outside the box. Just find a young guy who knows what he's doing and get him in here.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We all want to see Collins succeed. Problem is he never has seemed like he is head coach material. Even if we start changing coordinators, I don’t think that will change much since he will still be head coach. Furthermore, not many good coordinators will take their chance knowing if Collins does not have a good year, he will probably be gone next year and them also. So bottom line, we are stuck for another year.
We can't be stuck another year with Thacker. No way.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
We can't be stuck another year with Thacker. No way.
Another possibility is letting Collins take over the defense. He actually has a good record as a DC.
I know there are drawbacks to that, but all things considered it might be worth a try.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not if he gets some good assistants and thrives. Collins had his people in here, the ones he brought with him from Temple, They didn't work out.

It's not that unheard of for an AD to take some of the reins away from the HC. It's been done before.

When an AD takes that much control of the team, then the coach isn't in charge. Name a single successful program where the AD is calling the shots on hiring decisions for assistants.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Maybe Thacker makes it easy for Collins and tells him it may be best interest for both parties to park ways and get a fresh start. If I’m not mistaken I think he and p nut are one 1 year contracts on a year by year basis.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Florida just fired the defense and offensive line coach. If Collins don’t fire Thacker and p nut then stansbury better do it him self.
Look I think we need to do a change but don't see it. And if they did I can't see it till after the early signing day. But again I don't see it right now the only thing CGC has going for him is recuirting he would use that reason not to do it.

Animal02

Banned
We were already going to make the same amount in ticket sales whether the game is at Bobby Dodd or the Benz. The deal was that the Benz would draw more fans. Tennessee game we drew 75k & GT received $2.5M from Chik Fil-A. We had 5 games scheduled, the Notre Dame game got the axe. No $$ from that. This year I didn’t see any uplift from being at the Benz except for maybe 1-2k more UNC fans. Next year is Clemp on Labor Day weekend, I’m assuming Chik Fil-A. Probably have 60k fans and we should get $2.5M, maybe $3M. Year after that is TBD and I’m expecting the obligatory ACC suck *** team with no extra gate, year 5 is the Domers again. Assuming they flock down here and we have 60k at the game that will be worth $1.5M in extra gate. By my math that’s $4M for 4 games, $1M per game. I was being charitable adding $1M to this year because I don’t think we’ll see any $$ until next year.

This Benz deal only works if we have more people at the game. It’s not like they’re paying us to play there
Chick Fil A? With Tech coming off a third 3 (4) win season, and Clemson with as many losses as they have. What a dud of a game. Suppose a game or two draws 60k. That is only 5k over capacity at home, plus lost parking and other revenue. Plus loss of home field advantage, plus loss of great college atmosphere. It was a stupid deal to begin with. It was another dumb idea of screwing the fans to appease a few players supposedly.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
@bke1984 If we’re considering switching coaches this year which I think is unlikely, we’re going to need to “Hewitt” the contract. We’re going to need to take the $14M and spread it out over 8 or 10 years. 3K GT supporters gave $2.9M this past year specifically to keep us from defaulting on our bills or drawing on a line of credit. I think between renewed interest in the program & folks willing to fork over more, it could be possible. That being said, if we eat 1 more year of this we end up only needing to pay off $7M. You could pay that off fairly quickly, maybe 4 years or less.

This brings up the #2 conundrum. I know assistants generally are not promised anything & usually are on 1 year deals, but we already ran Woody out of town after 1 year. If we can coordinators, then a year later cashier our coach & he gets rid of all of them, well maybe he finds a difficult time because outside of all the other challenges GT presents, job instability is not there either.

The budget is a definite issue. We lost almost $3M last fiscal year despite severely reduced operations and I believe salary cuts. We needed emergency fundraising to make it up. I’m guessing we’ll be $1M or more in the hole this year (hoping the Benz deal is worth $1M/yr), probably worst case $3M in the red. Can’t find a recent financial report & am guessing based on past history, projecting football revenue losses due to poor gate/season ticket sales. I’m also thinking more people are going to be sitting on their wallets Given our troubles and no plan.

My bet: the entire staff is here next year. They’ll have 1 more year to turn it around & Tstan is going to have a very hard year if things go poorly. He’d better hope for a miracle 6-6 record.
We are paying the 3.3M next year no matter what, so it’s not worth even considering. My point would be that if the AD thinks things are bad enough then go the interim route and ditch him. It’s 3M extra at that point and if the attendance projectors continues it will be more costly.