Most likely wins this year

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
And they announced that the Duke game is a sellout this weekend against NC A&T. They will bring a good number but when is the last time Duke had a sellout. Amazing what winning does and sparks fan interest.
Everyone loves a winner while a losing program is an orphan. IIWII with very few exceptions. South Carolina being one. Sandlappers go to see Carolina no matter what.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
If "likely" win means over 50% chance -we've had our ONE.The rest are up in air ---but NONE likely. The question I have is what happens after a 1-5 start?

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
If "likely" win means over 50% chance -we've had our ONE.The rest are up in air ---but NONE likely. The question I have is what happens after a 1-5 start?
How did you avoid an Inappropriate Conduct slap from the moderator for even positing such a poor first half?

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I mean, statistically speaking, we could have a 49% chance of winning every single game left on our schedule. And 1-11 would not be the most likely outcome.
You can make up any scenario with stats you want.The stat most concerning to me is we have NOT beaten the line in either game which means a lot of folks think we are under-achieving.That usually does not get you many wins.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
You can make up any scenario with stats you want.The stat most concerning to me is we have NOT beaten the line in either game which means a lot of folks think we are under-achieving.That usually does not get you many wins.
Obviously if that continues, we're doomed. Time's running out fast to turn it around. We need to get out there and send Mississippi back to Oxford on the L train.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Most likely wins:
VT, UCF, Duke.

I don’t see why UVA isn’t winnable, and we have them at home, but I don’t think they are same category at the other three.

Depending on the qb injury situation with Pitt, I see that as winnable.

Between Miami, fsu, and UNC I feel like we steal one.

Espn has us as 2.2% likely to win 5 more games, and I feel like that’s way off.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Most likely wins:
VT, UCF, Duke.

I don’t see why UVA isn’t winnable, and we have them at home, but I don’t think they are same category at the other three.

Depending on the qb injury situation with Pitt, I see that as winnable.

Between Miami, fsu, and UNC I feel like we steal one.

Espn has us as 2.2% likely to win 5 more games, and I feel like that’s way off.
Any of the teams left on our schedule is beatable on a given day until we get to game #12.
I agree - a 2.2% chance of getting to 6 wins is way too low. I'd say more like 25 to 33%. Win this Saturday and that percentage jumps to 50.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It is far more likely than 11-1.
In probability theory the only way it is equally likely is for each possible outcome to have the same probability. For example a six sided dice should have equal probability for each possible number. Thus each roll would have equal likelihood of 1 through 6. Our remaining games do not have equal probability of outcomes. The UGA game would have the same probability of outcome as the WCU game and it doesn't. Each game is a probability of outcome that is different.

BuzzDraft

Jolly Good Fellow
In probability theory the only way it is equally likely is for each possible outcome to have the same probability. For example a six sided dice should have equal probability for each possible number. Thus each roll would have equal likelihood of 1 through 6. Our remaining games do not have equal probability of outcomes. The UGA game would have the same probability of outcome as the WCU game and it doesn't. Each game is a probability of outcome that is different.
This is a pretty reasonable analysis of the probabilities of the remaining 10 games after the first two. Major injuries can of course change the outlook, and more results will change the model as more actual data comes in. I wrote before the season the most likely wins, in order, were WCU, Duke, UVa, and VaPoly. After the WCU win is in the books, the Binion Index holds the same view, except I think VaPoly will somehow end up as our annual lone road win and Tech finishes 4-8

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/-H8hjxMDSIarmhZIJ87qtJ9-auI=/0x0:3000x2100/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:3000x2100):format(webp):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/24016878/gt_win_prob_by_game_22.png

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
This is a pretty reasonable analysis of the probabilities of the remaining 10 games after the first two. Major injuries can of course change the outlook, and more results will change the model as more actual data comes in. I wrote before the season the most likely wins, in order, were WCU, Duke, UVa, and VaPoly. After the WCU win is in the books, the Binion Index holds the same view, except I think VaPoly will somehow end up as our annual lone road win and Tech finishes 4-8

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/-H8hjxMDSIarmhZIJ87qtJ9-auI=/0x0:3000x2100/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:3000x2100):format(webp):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/24016878/gt_win_prob_by_game_22.png
Results so far do not indicate to me that Duke is the most likely win on our remaining schedule. I would rank them as follows based on both outlook and results so far:

UVA - looked okay in opener against an FCS team, looked bad against Illinois
VT - lost to Old Dominion, bounced back against BC
UCF - couldn't get by Louisville
UNC - seems overrated to me - no defense whatsoever, squeakers over three FCS teams but one of them was Appalachian State
Duke - solid win over Temple, win @ Northwestern
Miami - outclassed an FCS team, beat Southern Miss handily
Pitt - beat WVU, lost in OT to Tennessee
Ole Miss - two easy tune-ups
FSU - beat LSU

Ugag - Ugh

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
UNC - seems overrated to me - no defense whatsoever, squeakers over three FCS teams but one of them was Appalachian State
Neither Georgia State or Appalachian St are FCS.

UNC squeaking a win over Appalachian is way more impressive than Duke beating a bad Temple team. It’s still so early in the year that more games will highlight what teams we should be circling on the calendar.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Neither Georgia State or Appalachian St are FCS.

UNC squeaking a win over Appalachian is way more impressive than Duke beating a bad Temple team. It’s still so early in the year that more games will highlight what teams we should be circling on the calendar.
I agree about UNC's win over Appy State. But giving up 60+ points? And the other two were unimpressive to me.
Duke beat Temple 30-0 and won on the road at Northwestern. I'm impressed by that enough to move them well off the bottom of the pile. I do agree it's early...