Most likely wins this year

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I think that is a good point. Unexpected things can happen in football but with previous coaches there was always a point where you had a fair idea of where we stood in most matchups.

There has been no cohesive narrative with this team year in and year out except the nagging feeling that we could be worse than our on the field results coupled with the hope that we might be surprised by the team finally putting all the pieces together.
After two games we're still on the edge. Some bright spots have emerged to allow room for optimism, but not enough for any confidence. The Ole Miss game has the feel of put up or shut up time - time for our hopes to be validated...or dashed.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
After two games we're still on the edge. Some bright spots have emerged to allow room for optimism, but not enough for any confidence. The Ole Miss game has the feel of put up or shut up time - time for our hopes to be validated...or dashed.
Could not agree more. The Ole Miss game will be the “proof of concept” game one way or another.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Duke quietly 2-0 with wins over Temple and Northwestern. May not be the pushover game many expect. Then again, it might.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
How did they look against Clemson?
You jest, and obviously Duke’s schedule isn’t rough, but it looks a lot more respectable now. NW took down Nebraska, Temple got a win and speaking of teams quietly 2-0... what the heck happened to Kansas? They put up 55 points on the Mountaineers in Morgantown? Houston will probably bring them back to earth, but the Duke / Kansas game probably has a cumulative 5-1 record. Who’d a thunk?
At any rate, Duke is just winning games they’re supposed to but the Kansas game looks a lot tougher than anticipated. They get UVA in Durham next... this Duke team could be 5-0 with a couple of pretty decent wins under their belts by the time they roll in here. Hopefully we have a couple respectable wins of our own.
Regardless of what Duke is or is not, the most probable chance of getting the lack of back to back wins monkey off our backs is the consecutive home games with Duke and UVA. Next best chance is this weekend...
but needless to say, Duke is gonna be a big game for us. I think that’s the first game where there is zero doubt of what we are.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
IMO there are no "likely" wins left based on performance so far. We still don't know how good or average Clemson is. I would feel more confident if we had blown out WCU and kept them to no more than one score but we didn't. We have a reasonable 50/50 chance to win several remaining games but I don't see any that are likely wins.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
All I wrote was this:

Duke quietly 2-0 with wins over Temple and Northwestern. May not be the pushover game many expect. Then again, it might.

Note use of indefinite indicators "May" and "Then again it might" (refers to Duke game being a pushover).

The fact is none of us know, and I feel sure my post made this clear. Someone else brought up Nebraska. Whatever, am suspecting trolling and not worth any more response.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
All I wrote was this:

Note use of indefinite indicators "May" and "Then again it might" (refers to Duke game being a pushover).

The fact is none of us know, and I feel sure my post made this clear. Someone else brought up Nebraska. Whatever, am suspecting trolling and not worth any more response.

I had no issue with your take. My response was towards CEBs post and the issue with applying the transitive property to college football results.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I had no issue with your take. My response was towards CEBs post and the issue with applying the transitive property to college football results.
Understood on both counts. And to be clear, I wasn’t necessarily applying “transitive property,” although I didn’t word it very elegantly. Interesting that was all you took from that entire post!
What Northwestern or Nebraska is or is not at this point is pretty well unknown... it only relevant because Duke teams haven’t made a habit of winning very many P5 games recently, and the two teams they’ve beaten this year have also notched wins (the merits of those wins can be debated, but they’re W’s). The Kansas matchup could potentially tell us a lot... or maybe Kansas gets whacked by Houston (probably) and maybe it turns out they are the same old Kansas (possibly). At any rate, the game figures to be a decent looking matchup with Duke at 3-0 and Kansas 2-1.
None of this should be cause for worry to an improving GT, but this Duke team is trending in the right direction and may very well be undefeated when we meet.
Who would’ve thought that we could knock off an undefeated team in week 6? Anomaly? Maybe... but it could happen

CEB

Helluva Engineer
That's a projection on your part. It happened to be the only thing in your post I REPLIED to...
Thank you for that... here I thought you were just picking nits. I appreciate the careful consideration given to the rest of my thoughts (y)

...Or am I projecting again? :unsure: