Mills

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
With Mills starting, it strengthens my belief that CPJ want to impose his will on Saturday smashmouth style. Not having a reliable dive last year really stuck in his craw and I believe getting it back is priority #1 for coach. It literally sets up everything else in the arsenal. That said, it sure sets up a wacky trick play on the first snap, who knows. I'm still calling inside veer on play 1, who's with me?

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
CPJ mentioned we have more skill players "capable of making house calls" this year than last. When asked what Mills brought to the table earlier in camp, I believe he said all of the above, meaning tough yards, blocking, breaking tackles, AND big plays. Pass the kool aid please.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I think it will be just what we saw in the spring.....a very smooth, fluid, consistent kid who doesnt fumble much, can block for you, can catch a pass, will get some tough yards, and when in the open will run smoothly with vision and some power like a legit P5 RB. Like Shaq a quick learner.

MM is a fine back too and IMO more of a housecall threat along with Kirvonte. Mills, Allen, and 'skirch are more the power guys. Wanna see Quaide's blocking.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
With Mills starting, it strengthens my belief that CPJ want to impose his will on Saturday smashmouth style. Not having a reliable dive last year really stuck in his craw and I believe getting it back is priority #1 for coach. It literally sets up everything else in the arsenal. That said, it sure sets up a wacky trick play on the first snap, who knows. I'm still calling inside veer on play 1, who's with me?
I'm going with the load option to the BB, the first play from scrimmage in the spring game.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Ironically, we really didn't get going in '14 until Laskey got banged up. He didn't play at Pitt IIRC. Days came in and played very well. Then when Laskey came back a week or two later, we became a submarine: Dive Dive Dive Dive Because with two fresh players and two different styles, it threw one too many wrinkles at a defense. A fresh quick hitting Laskey in the 4th in athens was too much for uga. Didn't he score 3 TD's in the second half? Maybe CPJ has changed his B Back philosophy and says a two headed monster is scarier than a really big one headed monster. Here's the real question. Who hits a thousand yards first; Mills or Marshall?

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Ironically, we really didn't get going in '14 until Laskey got banged up. He didn't play at Pitt IIRC. Days came in and played very well. Then when Laskey came back a week or two later, we became a submarine: Dive Dive Dive Dive Because with two fresh players and two different styles, it threw one too many wrinkles at a defense. A fresh quick hitting Laskey in the 4th in athens was too much for uga. Didn't he score 3 TD's in the second half? Maybe CPJ has changed his B Back philosophy and says a two headed monster is scarier than a really big one headed monster. Here's the real question. Who hits a thousand yards first; Mills or Marshall?
I agree, we change out ABs almost every play, so I don't see why we couldn't get both guys 15 or so carries a game and keep them both fresh. Get Devine and Freddie rolling with two good BBs that are hitting the hole fast and it will be a really long for any defense that we play. The Pitt, NC state, UGA, and Orange bowl games were great. We absolutely rolled because we got at least 4-5 yards it seemed on every single dive called.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree, we change out ABs almost every play, so I don't see why we couldn't get both guys 15 or so carries a game and keep them both fresh. Get Devine and Freddie rolling with two good BBs that are hitting the hole fast and it will be a really long for any defense that we play. The Pitt, NC state, UGA, and Orange bowl games were great. We absolutely rolled because we got at least 4-5 yards it seemed on every single dive called.
I agree, but if somebody is running well and not gassed, he's not coming out just to give the other guy some time.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Agree.
If coach sees defense adjusting, he could send in a sub that is skilled to-exploit that adjustment (speed verses power).
To me laskey and days were classic utm guys that got the extra yard.
Another reason, which I remember from my youth, is that a coach will take a player out so that he can better see what is happening by watching the substitute.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I always said my grandfather was a (hard working ) man as in reality he was what with seven children. My youngest Aunt and David are both four years younger than I am. My late father ( deceased 15 years now) was one of the biggest Tech fans around . He always predicted we would go undefeated etc. every year. I wish he had been around to see the 2014 team especially. My son and I have taken over his spot in going to games . Many found memories of Tech games and taking kids to freshman Ga and Ga Tech games. The away games of the SEC days were always great times. I am one of Coach Johnsons biggest fans and I hope we put it back together this year.
I believe we are starting to build some depth and can become a more consistent winner.
I hope you are right, though after 2015 I am a bit more sober than after '14. And from the activity on the board I am not alone. It's too bad but an enormous amount of impetus was lost at 3-9, and GT and Johnson are in effect starting over. I am just a one game guy any more, and Saturday and BC is that one game.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I hope you are right, though after 2015 I am a bit more sober than after '14. And from the activity on the board I am not alone. It's too bad but an enormous amount of impetus was lost at 3-9, and GT and Johnson are in effect starting over. I am just a one game guy any more, and Saturday and BC is that one game.
To be fair, you are generally a pretty skeptical guy. I still have us going 12-0 at the start of every season, so it's a slow burn of my dreams being crushed every year.

Deleted member 2897

In 2014, Laskey and Days had 851 and 924 yards respectively. And thats even with Laskey being hurt part of the time. While we might not see 2 BBs with 1,000 yards each, stranger things have happened. It certainly would not be a shock or even unusual to see both with > 800 yards each.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If I had to guess - and that's all it would be - I would say that what Coach said a few days ago about ball security and blocking being the things MM needed to improve are the reasons Mills got the start. After last year, I think Coach will have little patience with those who drop the ball.

I doubt if this means more then the usual two headed monster, however. MM will play a lot. It'll be up to him (and Mills) how much that'll be. We will start to find out early (Lord God, how early) on Saturday.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Mills sounds like the feature back we've been waiting for since Dwyer left

If he can be like Laskey and Days in 2014 that's enough for me. I see Mills less as a feature back and more as just a guy who will do a lot of different things to help win a game--and very few things to help lose one.

IMO he is starting more for what he does when the ball isnt in his hands....means a lot to the success of our particular scheme. For example if you give JT time through the air he will hurt you. So BB pass pro is key. And keeping the D loose with the pass helps the run game. Another example is not fumbling in a limited posession game (which ours typically are)

All this said I think he'll run it just fine. If he starts doing Dwyer-like stuff you wont see me complain though!