Mills Suspended

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
So you're saying marijuana is an addictive drug physically and chemically? I do not believe it is, if that's what you are saying. Can you have withdraws to some extent? Sure but that can be a mindset, it's kinda like an addiction to gambling imo.

marijuana can be addictive, medically, yes there are people who are addicted to it and need treatment.

medically, the controversy is whether this is a psychological dependence, or physical plus psychological....

up to today they estimate around 10% gain addiction, although this is a tough number to pinpoint...as its not legal so if it was more widespread used like cigarettes...would the number go up or would it be different with better data?

but yes...it can be addictive
yes it does alter you enough to have DUI's etc (so how you control this and driving becomes a new challenge)
can't comment on long term affects...some say it hurts the brain some don't....I don't know

ibleedgoldnwhite

Georgia Tech Fan
Its only human to be curious, well human and feline I guess, but that clip of CPJ at the presser is about all we need to know about this situation.

Apparently the violation of team rules was not something that readily becomes public knowledge, like an illegal activity one reads about in the Athens paper all the time. Nor was it anything that looks likely to bring them to an academic or student disciplinary committee. It was enough of an issue that CPJ thought it warranted a one game suspension but also something he thought they, being young, would hopefully learn from and never have it happen again. Bigger than a breadbox but smaller than a . . .

CPJ clearly was going to respect the student-athletes privacy and the program's privacy as regards team rules. Since I know any more curiosity I have is likely to stay idle, I am moving on to excitement for the backups we get to see perform on Saturday in their stead.

Don't know if this situation applies but in some cases, coaches and the schools are legally bound not to say what exactly happened.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
That's so GT. We can't have nice things.

Ah well, CPJ did it right. Suspended them for a cupcake at least.
For some reason, and I don't know why, I really like this more than a like because it seems to fit in with my initial reaction, which was "That didn't last long, did it?" (I do have to snarkily observe though that if this had been Nick Saban and Alabama vs. Mercer the board would have gone off on suspending him for a cupcake but playing him against a tough team. It is what message boards do.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
For some reason, and I don't know why, I really like this more than a like because it seems to fit in with my initial reaction, which was "That didn't last long, did it?" (I do have to snarkily observe though that if this had been Nick Saban and Alabama vs. Mercer the board would have gone off on suspending him for a cupcake but playing him against a tough team. It is what message boards do.

I would've been like, 'welp, that's bama being bama'. CPJ did say it was something that happened Monday. Do I believe it? Kinda. If it (the incident) predated the BC game, the cynic in me says Benson would've been suspended for that trip then Mills would've been suspended for Mercer. Based on that, I tend to believe him that it was something that happened recently.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
He's probably talking about Nick Marshall. Keith was a good kid who should have come to Tech. I guarantee he would have had a better career playing for the good guys...at least would have won an Orange Bowl. Marcus rectified his mistake though.

Gawd, he would have been a stud B-back

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
marijuana can be addictive, medically, yes there are people who are addicted to it and need treatment.

medically, the controversy is whether this is a psychological dependence, or physical plus psychological....

up to today they estimate around 10% gain addiction, although this is a tough number to pinpoint...as its not legal so if it was more widespread used like cigarettes...would the number go up or would it be different with better data?

but yes...it can be addictive
yes it does alter you enough to have DUI's etc (so how you control this and driving becomes a new challenge)
can't comment on long term affects...some say it hurts the brain some don't....I don't know
Their suspension had nothing with drugs and you're really doing them a disservice by continually bringing it up in this thread. Why not make another thread in the lounge if you want to continue discussing the benefits and pitfalls of drug use?

Enough with the useless speculation, for all we CPJ is big on tradition and these guys wore white after labor day.

bmeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
This may be a silly question, but what ARE the team rules? Have they ever been made public?

ibleedgoldnwhite

Georgia Tech Fan
This may be a silly question, but what ARE the team rules? Have they ever been made public?

I think when you hear"violation of team rules" it usually falls in with my other post, that sometimes they are legally bound not to release what the specific infraction was. Also might just be something PJ doesn't think needs to be released.

Either way, it isn't a specific rule, it just means he broke a team rule in general.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Don't know if this situation applies but in some cases, coaches and the schools are legally bound not to say what exactly happened.
Oh, yes. We live in the helicopter parent age, when even your Little Darlin's grades that cost you $30,000 a year are none of your business. That in turn makes it difficult to call the offending prof who actually graded the papers and demand an A, just kind of for showing up.

Animal02

Banned
All about maximizing the GPA. My son did that too for some reason. :cautious: But Architorture was different, you had to show dedication in making models which were black holes for time. Studio was the raison d'etre for you?
Yep,. with a studio required every quarter, and a C minimum.....you don't get that, you add another quarter. One reason you rarely see Arch majors playing any sport.

Animal02

Banned
Oh, yes. We live in the helicopter parent age, when even your Little Darlin's grades that cost you $30,000 a year are none of your business. That in turn makes it difficult to call the offending prof who actually graded the papers and demand an A, just kind of for showing up.
Big change from when I was at Tech....parents got mailed grades at the end of the quarter,. IIRC.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
"Johnson said that the offense had 46 missed assignments in 54 plays."

I am not very good with numbers but this does not pass the smell test.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
"Johnson said that the offense had 46 missed assignments in 54 plays."

I am not very good with numbers but this does not pass the smell test.
Sounds like last year. It will be interesting to see how many missed assignments happen against Mercer. It is one thing to be over matched or out played against dude you are up against but to do your assignment to best of your ability is something every player should be able to handle.