Miami

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..,
U.G.L.Y WIN!! Nice road win for us.

... I'll take it. Ryan showed some stones. Bailed out the D in one inning & worked himself out of his own hole in another. Nice job by Delaney getting the save to close it out.

Let's fool around & take the series tomorrow.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
7-5 good guys. I have to say after watching dulaney pitch. I'm still not sure why he isn't one of our weekend starters. He's got good stuff and pitched pretty well in a lot of innings last year
Dulaney started a few games last year and struggled mightily in that role. His ball has a ton of sink---he may be one of those guys that hitters figure out the 2nd time through. All that said, I'm not opposed to giving him a chance to crack the starting rotation. I hope Lee does well tomorrow!

The Doddfather

Jolly Good Fellow
Big win. Great job by Zac and a nice uneventful 11th by Delaney. I does anyone know what happened with the Miami first baseman that got him pulled out of the lineup around the 7th? I feel like he probably would've made that play in the 11th that ended up plating the winning runs. No complaints, but the Miami announcers made it sound like him and Jim got into it in the dugout and that's why he got yanked.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
We are playing very sloppy. It is very discouraging year after year seeing our pitchers have so much control issues as well as it seems their velocity never really rises during their years here...in fact their velo seems to drop more often than not.
Our opponants probably use that to keep some pitchers from coming here. I think Danny really needs to fix this.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Like yesterday, I'll only try to say the positive side of things.....

This is a young team in many ways and they needed to demonstrate they could win in a pressure situation. This is the biggest series by far of the year. Opening ACC and away in a traditionally 7th ring of Hades location for us. We had made three errors after two the night before along wit not making typically stellar plays which is the sign of the jitters ........ I was watching the score and had fully prepared myself for the loss and sweep.

But the bats kept coming through. Sure we had 12 hits like Miami and left 13 on base.

But Miami left 17 on base. For some reason, Miami hasn't won much this year in tight games.

I'm somewhat optimistic that we can win today given Miami's past performance on Sundays:
Loss to Rutgers 6-17
Loss to Florida 2-6
Loss to Dartmouth 0-5

Yeah we have our pitching problems, but Miami has more. Just need to keep the bats hot and continue to maul the opponents.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
And what do suggest CDH do?
I'll leave that up to Danny, he knows far more about it than I do.
I might add an interesting find from the telecast last night. Miami has 12 junior college players on their roster, including last night's starting pitcher. He went 9-1 for a team that went to the JC NC game last year. Ole Morris never had it so easy at GT.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Had not seen that much clutch hitting in an eternity. Go Jackets!

We were 6 for 19 (.316) last night with two outs. And 4 for 17 (.235) with runners in scoring position. Overall we hit .267 which is low for the year. So while I agree that we had a lot of clutch hitting it is as much a case of continual pressure and mauling with the bats.

Miami was 1-17 with runners in scoring position. Oh yeah ..... 0-5 with the bases loaded. How would people on this board feel if GT had performed as Miami did?

Maybe our pitching is starting to develop. Only time will tell if we become consistent. We only threw 56% strikes (122 of 219 pitches). So it was also a case of clutch pitching.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So who'se available in the bullpen today?

Pitchers used Friday & Saturday:
Curry 89 pitches (52 strikes)
Datoc 37 pitches (23 strikes)
Carpenter 48 pitches (28 strikes)
Hughes 79 pitches (41 strikes)
Ben S 28 pitches (18 strikes)
Winborne 11 pitches (8 strikes) Maybe go again but doubt it
Ryan the Stud 84 pitches (44 strikes) (I've gotta mention that the Zac Attack likes to make things interesting)
Dulaney 17 pitches (11 strikes)

That leaves in my unqualified order of desirability:
Lee starting
Parr
Shadday
Archer
Winborne
Gibson
Gooden
King
Combs

65Jacket

GT Athlete
So who'se available in the bullpen today?

Pitchers used Friday & Saturday:
Curry 89 pitches (52 strikes)
Datoc 37 pitches (23 strikes)
Carpenter 48 pitches (28 strikes)
Hughes 79 pitches (41 strikes)
Ben S 28 pitches (18 strikes)
Winborne 11 pitches (8 strikes) Maybe go again but doubt it
Ryan the Stud 84 pitches (44 strikes) (I've gotta mention that the Zac Attack likes to make things interesting)
Dulaney 17 pitches (11 strikes)

That leaves in my unqualified order of desirability:
Lee starting
Parr
Shadday
Archer
Winborne
Gibson
Gooden
King
Combs
I like your order of desirability. I do have some concerns about the status of Parr, is he hurt or are they saving him for Oklahoma.We need to beat Miami more than Oklahoma. I don't have a feel for Combs, but I doubt Kings physical status.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I like your order of desirability. I do have some concerns about the status of Parr, is he hurt or are they saving him for Oklahoma.We need to beat Miami more than Oklahoma. I don't have a feel for Combs, but I doubt Kings physical status.

We just need to find a third baseman who can pitch ..... :cautious:

Agree entirely that Miami is far more important than Oklahoma. We've thrown a lot of pitches in the first two games. More than most three game series I'd bet.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We were 6 for 19 (.316) last night with two outs. And 4 for 17 (.235) with runners in scoring position. Overall we hit .267 which is low for the year. So while I agree that we had a lot of clutch hitting it is as much a case of continual pressure and mauling with the bats.

Miami was 1-17 with runners in scoring position. Oh yeah ..... 0-5 with the bases loaded. How would people on this board feel if GT had performed as Miami did?

Maybe our pitching is starting to develop. Only time will tell if we become consistent. We only threw 56% strikes (122 of 219 pitches). So it was also a case of clutch pitching.
I turned the game on in the top of the 7th and then had to step out again until the bottom of the 9th. Guess we were flailing up to that point. Agree on the pitching. Some clutch strikes.

Newnan Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
It is amazing how all of our pitchers lack command. We have hit 7 batters, walked about 17. It makes me wonder what the heck our pitching coach is doing. We have not had a winning ACC record since Howell has been our pitching coach. If our pitching doesn't drastically change, then I will be shocked if we even go .500 in the ACC.

MountPGT1990

Banned
If we don't walk them we hit 'em. Lee awful today. Gives up HR to one of coldest hitter on Miami roster.
This might be the worst starting pitching rotation I've seen since Danny Hall has been coach. We will be lucky to just make it to a regional this year.

Just horrendous outings by all three starting pitchers, they gave up like 14-15 runs in like 7 innings

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
And what do suggest CDH do?
Quit recruiting throwers and recruit pitchers. He has a set height and speed. Greg Maddox would never have been recruited. There have been pitchers that wanted to come here that wound up somewhere else and in the minors. They couldn't top 90, so they didn't make it. One held the state HS win record.