Miami

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Had an opportunity but couldn't take advantage of it. Their guy made a really good pitch on Kel. That was the key AB in the ninth. They took advantage of their chance in the 8th. Hopefully better day tomorrow.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I expect us to be in a lot of shoot outs this year, but Miami was in an extreme batting slump coming into this game. The defense is really going to have to step up and protect us from our young arms. Tonight the defense was a liability.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Very very disappointing to give up 10 runs to a team that has barely scored that many all year. 7 walks and I don't know how many other poor plays.

I am disgusted already. Pitching is just incredibly poor and my patience had run out. Eventually you have to realize that it's not just a talent deficit!

Squints

Helluva Engineer
A kid who was playing in high school last year struggled in a start that was both his first career start on the road and his first career start against an ACC team? I'm shocked. Must be the coaches fault they didn't turn him into an ace in six months.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Curry was obviously a little rattled by the situation. The walks by this staff and the hit batter, mostly on 2 strike pitches really bothers me. If you had told me we score 8 runs, I say we win. The 8th inning pitcher doomed us. I felt we would be lucky to win a game and I'll stick to it. We are Miami's whipping boy. Losing English ruined our season, just like the loss of King and Hughes did last year.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Defensive problems last night? I didn't see the game; but both of our errors were charged to the pitcher. Were there other defensive issues? I realize the pitcher plays defense too... but that is a little different than if there we other poor defensive plays across the board.
The inability to consistently throw strikes is tough to take. Seems even our "outs" are deep counts too often.
That said, we can beat Miami... twice even.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
The two errors on the pitcher were very costly as they resulted in runs allowed in the first two innings when we got down 4-0. We had a passed ball (not a difficult play at all) that resulted in another run I think, allowed them to score on a squeez that if the catcher stays home we likely wouldn't have given up the run, and had an infield hit that is a play that our 2b usually makes. That's what I remember, there may have been more. They had 3 triples in the game, at least one of them chalked the right field line. All that, and we were still in position to win going into B8, at 7-8. Carpenter pitched a great 7rh, but couldn't get the big out in the 8th with two on & two out

65Jacket

GT Athlete
We had some misplays by our best fielders. Bailey let the ball play him, that started an inning with an infield hit. Bart had his first passed ball of the year. that allowed a run to score. Peurifoy had a chance to make a great play in CF on the first inning triple that scored. I think he probably thought he could have made the play, I would have thought so if I was the fielder. I'm also concerned about Peur's hitting, has dropped to the .230s like last year. Team just looked really shakey all game.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
We had some misplays by our best fielders. Bailey let the ball play him, that started an inning with an infield hit. Bart had his first passed ball of the year. that allowed a run to score. Peurifoy had a chance to make a great play in CF on the first inning triple that scored. I think he probably thought he could have made the play, I would have thought so if I was the fielder. I'm also concerned about Peur's hitting, has dropped to the .230s like last year. Team just looked really shakey all game.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Even though we didn't get the outcome that we wanted, I was impressed with the way the team didn't give up and kept battling back. I know that Curry didn't have a good start, but the one positive that I'm taking away from it is that he had 6 strikeouts in 4 innings which shows that he has ACC caliber stuff and will be an Ace down the line. We just need to win tonight and then anything can happen tomorrow.

I predict we get swept, upstate posts a rant where he refers to our coach as "dumb danny hall" at least once, and the doo
I predict we get swept, upstate posts a rant where he refers to our coach as "dumb danny hall" at least once, and the doom and gloom posts fly around commiserating how disappointing our baseball team's season was. But despite the eulogies they let us play Oklahoma the following Tuesday and then the following 39 games despite our season being over.

:)
So if we
A kid who was playing in high school last year struggled in a start that was both his first career start on the road and his first career start against an ACC team? I'm shocked. Must be the coaches fault they didn't turn him into an ace in six months.
Having to rely on a Fr pitcher to open the conf is the coaches fault. Good point you made.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
So if we

Having to rely on a Fr pitcher to open the conf is the coaches fault. Good point you made.

I didn't realize Danny Hall was breaking into our pitchers bedrooms at night tearing apart their elbow tendons and damaging with their shoulder @up state jacket. You've cracked the code man! Way to go! Better get in touch with Stansbury ASAP and let him know! I can't believe we have such a brilliant baseball mind on the board. You considering my point "good" is such an honor.

Great post formatting btw. Really well done. (y)(y)(y)

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Getting back to baseball, I admittedly didn't get a chance to watch the game but from reading the play-by-play it looks like the two errors committed by Curry were on bunt plays. Were they difficult plays? Where was the ball bunted and fielded?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Dude averages 40 wins a year over 23+ seasons at Tech. 3 CWS appearances. 20 trips to post-season. He's a great coach by any measure. I wish our pitching was better too. But the coach is good. Any argument otherwise... is cherry picking.

Age old fandom problem. Get rid of the coach... with no alternative offered. Or any evidence if an alternative would improve overall performance. It might... but CDH's records are a HIGH bar.