Miami

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Quit recruiting throwers and recruit pitchers. He has a set height and speed. Greg Maddox would never have been recruited. There have been pitchers that wanted to come here that wound up somewhere else and in the minors. They couldn't top 90, so they didn't make it. One held the state HS win record.

If true, that's ridiculous.

I intend to compile stats when I return next week on walks and hit batsmen and the like, but here is something simple for us all to chew on:
RUNS SCORED BY MIAMI IN WEEKEND SERIES IN 2017
Rutgers. 17 runs
Florida. 2 runs
Dartmouth. 3 runs
GT. 24 runs

So, one can either conclude that those other programs have MUCH betters physical talent than we do, OR the wind is really blowing out this weekend compared to other weekends, OR our coaching is the problem. I can't think of any other explanations, can anyone else? Just think, with half the game yet to play, we have already given up more runs to Miami than they had scored in all three prior weekend series COMBINED.

Will be curious to hear other's explanations for such a poor pitching performance by virtually the entire staff.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Just checked into this one. I've noticed a lot of strikeouts from our batters. Are we just having an off day or has Miami pitching been on fire?

Hopefully we can make something happen with our final at bats and make it interesting.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
If true, that's ridiculous.

I intend to compile stats when I return next week on walks and hit batsmen and the like, but here is something simple for us all to chew on:
RUNS SCORED BY MIAMI IN WEEKEND SERIES IN 2017
Rutgers. 17 runs
Florida. 2 runs
Dartmouth. 3 runs
GT. 24 runs

So, one can either conclude that those other programs have MUCH betters physical talent than we do, OR the wind is really blowing out this weekend compared to other weekends, OR our coaching is the problem. I can't think of any other explanations, can anyone else? Just think, with half the game yet to play, we have already given up more runs to Miami than they had scored in all three prior weekend series COMBINED.

Will be curious to hear other's explanations for such a poor pitching performance by virtually the entire staff.

I can think of one! They're better than they showed across the first weekends? Assuming true talent level from 9 games in baseball, let alone 3, isn't wise. Miami is very good. A slow start in a dozen or so games didn't change that.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I can think of one! They're better than they showed across the first weekends? Assuming true talent level from 9 games in baseball, let alone 3, isn't wise. Miami is very good. A slow start in a dozen or so games didn't change that.

What in the world does Miami's talent have to do with the 25 walks and 10 HBPs we've issued this weekend?

Newnan Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
What in the world does Miami's talent have to do with the 25 walks and 10 HBPs we've issued this weekend?
Exactly. We have given them the games along with 8 errors. We have also had several mental errors too. Team looks poorly coached plain and simple. The pitching coach is in over his head. You can't tell me we don't have any pitching talent where some of these kids were ranked highly. Howell can't develop anything outside of Gold and Gorst.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Glad Gooden got some game reps so I could finally get to see Gooden finally pitch. You can see why he hasn't thrown more. Looks like his left shoulder keeps flying open. He really struggles to repeat his mechanics which isn't too surprising. It typically takes longer for guys with that size and build to click on that front. Fastball looks solid to the naked eye and the curve looked pretty good for a freshman.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We lose the rubber match, 17-7 final.

Miami scores 32 runs against us, more than they had scored for the entire season. We manage to throw 5 wild pitches, walk 26 batters, and plunk another 10 on the series.

Squints

Helluva Engineer

Well yea that certainly doesn't help the situation. Though the two aren't completely unrelated. But they still have to knock those guys in which they've been able to do. I'm referring to that. I'm not excusing the walks and HBPs.

Exactly. We have given them the games along with 8 errors. We have also had several mental errors too. Team looks poorly coached plain and simple. The pitching coach is in over his head. You can't tell me we don't have any pitching talent where some of these kids were ranked highly. Howell can't develop anything outside of Gold and Gorst.

And Gold and Gorst are two of the very few guys who have haven't hurt through their time here while he's been here. That may not be a coincidence. Just saying. Dusty Isaacs and Josh Heddinger are another two guys who didn't get hurt, improved while he was here, and were MLB draft picks.

Last edited:

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Absolute embarrassment! We are the only team in Miami history to use 10 pitchers in a 9 inning game. Shadday was the only one who was effective, 3 up and 3 down. Gooden was the worst, hit the first batter, a lefty, with a pitch behind him and bouncing, and then walked the next 4, before being removed. The 3,4,5 batters in our lineup struck out 11 times. Parr was never seen, he must be hurt. Bailey, Peurifoy , and Poje homered.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
It is amazing how all of our pitchers lack command. We have hit 7 batters, walked about 17. It makes me wonder what the heck our pitching coach is doing. We have not had a winning ACC record since Howell has been our pitching coach. If our pitching doesn't drastically change, then I will be shocked if we even go .500 in the ACC.
today alone 9 BB, 4 HBP in 8 innings

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Looks like another year of clawing to get into NCAAs. And then be at Omaha bound team's home for regionals.

I'll be out of town (like Peru out of town) for the next three weekends. After that we should be firmly middle of the pack.

It is as it is. My frustration won't fix the inconsistent (e.g. sh1tty) pitching. Maybe it will get better. We saw a lot of pitchers this weekend. The fact that we didn't see Parr hopefully means he is being saved for Oklahoma. Not seeing King may mean the same thing or he is worse than Gooden. Every one else was out there showing what they have or don't have. Our team ERA should be over 5 after today's debacle; worse than last year with the quality teams yet to come.

Jake Lee threw strikes today 30 for 44 (68%). Problem is that Miami hit them. In high school you can throw strikes and they don't get hit. Against good teams you not only have to throw strikes, but they can't be easy to hit. I'd rather have what Jake did than someone who doesn't throw strikes. So I think he can come along this year.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Absolute embarrassment! We are the only team in Miami history to use 10 pitchers in a 9 inning game. Shadday was the only one who was effective, 3 up and 3 down. Gooden was the worst, hit the first batter, a lefty, with a pitch behind him and bouncing, and then walked the next 4, before being removed. The 3,4,5 batters in our lineup struck out 11 times. Parr was never seen, he must be hurt. Bailey, Peurifoy , and Poje homered.
Only Datoc (2.2 ip), Shadday (1 ip), Winborne (1.2 ip), Archer (1 ip) and Gibson (0.2 ip) did not give up any earned runs this weekend. We pitched 14 guys. 9 out of 14 pitchers gave up at least 1 run. Miami scored at least 1 run in 15 of the 27 innings they came up to bat (8 inn Fri, 11 inn Sat, 8 inn Sun).