Miami

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Miami is currently 4-7 (they play FIU tonight) with three close losses to Florida. Their offense has been awful. This will be a good measuring stick to see where we really are right now. Curry will be pitching on the road for the first time in his GT career and Hughes hasn't pitched away from the Rusty C since early last season at FSU. Then I predict we will see Lee start on Sunday. We need to get some runs on the board early and often!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
When I saw the schedule way back when... this series was concerning because: 1) it looked to be our toughest road series (by far); and 2) it would be the 1st ACC/road series after a 'soft' schedule (mostly at home) up to this point.

As the early season as played out... Miami on paper is terrible. Statistically, they may be the worst team in the conference. The sample size is small and included a 3 game series against Florida... a top 3 team nationally. I looked up some statistics....

Through last night's games, here is how the two teams compare in some key statistical categories with ACC rank in parenthesis ...there are 14 ACC baseball teams.

MIAMI
BA - .178 (14th);
Runs/Gm - 2.5 (14th)
Hits - 60 (14th)
SLG% - .246 (14th)
Fldg% - .962 (11th)
WHIP - 1.41 (11th)
ERA - 4.03 (10th)
Miami has be shut out 4 times and scraped a run across in the 9th last night to avoid a 5th shutout.

GA Tech
BA - .339 (3rd);
Runs/Gm - 9.5 (4th)
Hits - 137 (5th)
SLG% - .584 (1st)
Fldg% - .982 (2nd)
WHIP - 1.45 (12th)
ERA - 4.45 (13th)

Am I less concerned based on all of that?... I hate to admit it; but NO. I'm the same; but I guess for different reasons. Before it was concern over just getting off to a bad start to the ACC schedule and having to deal with confidence issues going forward. Now the worry is seeing what an opportunity we have to kick Miami while they're down...do some damage on the road; but concerned about the ramifications should we fail to do that.

I agree this will be a good measuring stick. The numbers don't lie; but there is just no way I can believe Miami's baseball team is that bad. Ga Tech sweeping these guys (based on the data) is not out of the question. Aim HIGH!! Go JACKETS!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well, FIU pushed across a run in the bottom of the ninth last night to sweep Miami in their midweek series, 3-2 (after pounding them in Mark Light Stadium 12-1 the night before). Miami mustered all of 2 runs...on 3 hits! I am definitely feeling like with their offensive struggles and our two good starters, we ought to get 2 out of 3 down there. The whole key to this series will be simply to NOT WALK the Miami hitters, who haven't proven to be much of an offensive threat so far.

Oops, missed that Fred already gave the recent Miami update...but the point for our pitchers remains the same.....NO WALKS!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't get Lee starting for the first time this year on an ACC Sunday game. It would seem we would want someone who has proven themselves during the mid-week at least. So I've got to take away that he must be doing really well in bull pen. I liked flashes of his pitching last year.

I can't believe Miami's bats will remain so quiet. (It's kind of like Trump not tweeting at 3AM about some wrong against him.) It may slow for a while but not permanently.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Why no Parr on Sunday, is he injured worse than feared? I still am really worried about this series. I have nightmares of them waking up.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't get Lee starting for the first time this year on an ACC Sunday game. It would seem we would want someone who has proven themselves during the mid-week at least. So I've got to take away that he must be doing really well in bull pen. I liked flashes of his pitching last year.

I can't believe Miami's bats will remain so quiet. (It's kind of like Trump not tweeting at 3AM about some wrong against him.) It may slow for a while but not permanently.
Why no Parr on Sunday, is he injured worse than feared? I still am really worried about this series. I have nightmares of them waking up.
Is Parr injured? Did I miss that?
I think I also "expected" Hall to go with more experience for the Sunday starter. But can't say any alternative seems much better. An opportunity for Lee. Hope he shines.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is Parr injured? Did I miss that?
I think I also "expected" Hall to go with more experience for the Sunday starter. But can't say any alternative seems much better. An opportunity for Lee. Hope he shines.

We were all wondering why Gooden wasn't pitching until he did. He didn't throw strikes. I have little doubt that Howell and Hall are putting the best pitchers out there. It's not encouraging when the best prospective Sunday starter is unproven going into week 4. Others were better prospects for starting up to this point but that has changed.

All that said, I expect us to win 2 out of 3. We should maul them with our hitting and commit few fielding errors. Given our pitching inconsistency, it could be anywhere from 0 to 3 wins so I've got my bases covered. At least it's good weather all weekend - no rain and 70-80F.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It's possible that Lee has made the most starts on the roster without fact checking other than King. He made probably 4-7 starts last season is my guess.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
It's possible that Lee has made the most starts on the roster without fact checking other than King. He made probably 4-7 starts last season is my guess.
I think that Parr has made more, but I like the decision to use Lee since he had starting experience last year and Parr was primarily used out of the pen.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think that Parr has made more, but I like the decision to use Lee since he had starting experience last year and Parr was primarily used out of the pen.
True on Parr. Wonder if he is hurt has mentioned previously. If so, hope its nothing serious.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I predict we get swept, upstate posts a rant where he refers to our coach as "dumb danny hall" at least once, and the doom and gloom posts fly around commiserating how disappointing our baseball team's season was. But despite the eulogies they let us play Oklahoma the following Tuesday and then the following 39 games despite our season being over.

:)

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I predict we get swept, upstate posts a rant where he refers to our coach as "dumb danny hall" at least once, and the doom and gloom posts fly around commiserating how disappointing our baseball team's season was. But despite the eulogies they let us play Oklahoma the following Tuesday and then the following 39 games despite our season being over.

Sounds about right to me. Except I'll add a rant about our pitching, because, well, it's what I do!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Well, if we get swept, I'm going to Peru for a few weeks to get away from baseball.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
My sweet wife & I are on a little weekend "getaway"... I just asked her if headphones would be a problem at dinner. She gave me the impression it would be frowned upon... literally.
#andyouthinkyouhaveproblems
GO YELLOW JACKETS!!

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
What a disastrous start. Thankfully we have 8 more innings, but we looked incredibly sloppy in the first. Down 0-2 early.