Miami

Why is everyone so surprised? This has Tech's MO for the last, what, 10 years running? When the NCAA went to soft balls we couldn't score enough and still had bad pitching. Now the balls are juiced again we score runs, but not enough. The coaches at Tech are all Danny's boys and see the game the same. Hit HR's , hit HR's , hit HR's. If no one is belting a bomb we don't score. At the end of this season we will be saying the same thing as the last 10 yrs, NEXT YEAR. We are good enough to make the fan base think we have a real chance to go to Omaha every year, but to have that bubble burst. We are the ugag of college baseball. Recruit at a high level, but results are not there. Danny is going no where so get used to this level of baseball until he decides to quit.

Newnan Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Well yea that certainly doesn't help the situation. Though the two aren't completely unrelated. But they still have to knock those guys in which they've been able to do. I'm referring to that. I'm not excusing the walks and HBPs.

And Gold and Gorst are two of the very few guys who have haven't hurt through their time here while he's been here. That may not be a coincidence. Just saying.

Dusty Isaacs and Josh Heddinger are another two guys who didn't get hurt, improved while he was here, and were MLB draft picks.

Issacs was not that good even in his Senior year I believe. Heddinger had one good season. When every pitcher that is on the roster lacks command, there is a problem with coaching. You can't tell me that all of these guys are bust. We have over 20 pitchers and we can't find 5 really consistent ones. Howell isn't the answer. He has been here since 2013 and pitching seems to get worse.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Iagreetotally
Issacs was not that good even in his Senior year I believe. Heddinger had one good season. When every pitcher that is on the roster lacks command, there is a problem with coaching. You can't tell me that all of these guys are bust. We have over 20 pitchers and we can't find 5 really consistent ones. Howell isn't the answer. He has been here since 2013 and pitching seems to get worse.
I totally agree. It like if our football recruiting was all flops for one year. Can you believe the uproar our fan base would be in?

Newnan Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
CDH is a pretty good coach. Our hitting and fielding is normally pretty good. Just need to make the right hire on pitching coach. So much of winning it all in college baseball is just getting hot at the right time.

CDH is a pretty good coach. Our hitting and fielding is normally pretty good. Just need to make the right hire on pitching coach. So much of winning it all in college baseball is just getting hot at the right time.
Pitching has been an issue the entire time Danny's been here. He's had a few studs on the mound, but had never had a dominating staff. Seems like the coaching staff keeps trying to put square pegs in round holes. This program is better than .500 in league play, but they are a sub or .500 team the last few years. When does the man in charge face accountability. We laugh at ugag for bringing in NFL players left and right and doing little with it, but we do the same thing in baseball. Yet Danny is never the reason. Either he is the most unlucky coach walking on the face of the earth or he has seen better days and his time has come and gone.

Newnan Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
In 2011 we had a dominant staff with Pope, Bradley, and Grimes. I believe in 2010 and 2011 we won 20 plus in ACC. We also have made it to Omaha 3 times as well. He has made mistakes on the pitching side mainly the selection of the past two pitching coaches. You can argue that CDH era has ran its course but I doubt he is let go or retires until Colin Hall is finished playing here.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
There has also been multiple seasons in the past 3-4 years where we have lost 2 of our weekend starters early in the year. It's amazing they were able to make it to the NCAAs.

Pitching injuries seem to be a theme lately. Either we have really bad luck or it's something the staff is doing. Based on the way we can't throw strikes, I'm guessing it could be the latter.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I'm on record as a Danny Hall supporter. I think his record over his career at Tech is stellar. We'll never be able to know, but very few (if any) other coaches would have the wins & post-season appearances/runs he's had. Based on that alone, I'm one of those guys who feels he's earned being able to stay where he is until he decides to move along... on his terms.

All that said, I also think "most" (not all) of the thoughtful criticism aimed at him has merit too. For whatever reason, he has not (especially recently) managed to get our pitching to operate with any consistency. So far this year, the walks & HBPs are particularly alarming... & further too many 2-0; 3-1 type counts.

Seems the theme for 2017 needs to be "have very short memories" ... don't allow a crappy performance on any particular game or series carry over to the next.

I'll end with this. Not sure who to attribute it to....
"Nothing is ever as good or as bad as it seems."

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Pitching injuries seem to be a theme lately. Either we have really bad luck or it's something the staff is doing. Based on the way we can't throw strikes, I'm guessing it could be the latter.
They are overworked in high school and summer. If they didn't get enough work during our season, let them pitch in the summer. If they received the requisite mound time in the spring then don't throw in the summer unless it's part of a regimen developing a new pitch.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I can think of one! They're better than they showed across the first weekends? Assuming true talent level from 9 games in baseball, let alone 3, isn't wise. Miami is very good. A slow start in a dozen or so games didn't change that.

Great! If you're right, Miami will continue to hit well the next few weekends. If you're wrong and their bats grow silent again, you'll owe some folks an apology for being so snarky!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Glad Gooden got some game reps so I could finally get to see Gooden finally pitch. You can see why he hasn't thrown more. Looks like his left shoulder keeps flying open. He really struggles to repeat his mechanics which isn't too surprising. It typically takes longer for guys with that size and build to click on that front. Fastball looks solid to the naked eye and the curve looked pretty good for a freshman.

So, one has to wonder why Gooden went from being a strong prospect to suddenly not being able to throw strikes. (Hint: I am going to guess someone decid d to improve his throwing mechanics!)

65Jacket

GT Athlete
So, one has to wonder why Gooden went from being a strong prospect to suddenly not being able to throw strikes. (Hint: I am going to guess someone decid d to improve his throwing mechanics!)
Hall told the Lunch Bunch that he had seen Gooden pitch last year and he was not wild then.Someone screwed something up royally. Someone told me that GT does not know how to coach power pitchers.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Miami scores 4 runs against Maine tonight. Maine had a team ERA of 4.71 coming into the game.
Yup, Maine has an RPI of 246. Our team ERA is 5.50 (before tonight I think). Without our bats we would be just plain awful.

Miami only won 4-3. Would have been disgraceful for them to lose. I see Miami as a prima donna team. Get up for good teams and coast on the rest. Plenty of wasted talent. But they beat us pretty good in two of three games. So that's just sour grapes. We want Miami to win out till we beat them in the ACC tourney now .......

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Jim Morris has already announced his retirement after NEXT (2018) season. Curious if he can maintain "control" of his team. It appeared he had a confrontation with one player on Sat (Tech win in extra innings). Winning solves a lot of problems. But if they continue to struggle, we may see an unraveling.

Lagrangejacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I can think of one! They're better than they showed across the first weekends? Assuming true talent level from 9 games in baseball, let alone 3, isn't wise. Miami is very good. A slow start in a dozen or so games didn't change that.

We can now test this hypothesis.

Miami scored 32 runs against us in 3 games. In their 9 ACC games since, Miami has scored 29 runs while amassing a 3-6 record.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
We can now test this hypothesis.

Miami scored 32 runs against us in 3 games. In their 9 ACC games since, Miami has scored 29 runs while amassing a 3-6 record.

I think Squints was wrong and needs to man up. Not only has Miami's hitting looked poor since then but our pitching really hasn't gotten much better either.