@Miami

Deleted member 2897

27-3 free throws. I f'n hate Teddy Valentine

Yup, we took 35% more FG attempts than they did and made 4 more FG. We had 2x the assists, less turnovers. Etc. etc. Hard to win when one team gets TWENTY-FOUR more free throw attempts.

THANKS REFS!

K7xcsnbgyHxmw.gif

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I pointed out the fouls were 13 to 6 before the end of game situation. 13 fouls is average to low for a game, right?

I thought the foul on Tadric on the 3 was a bad call. I also thought #4's lack of continuation was a bad call the other way. Our 7 footer was shooting 18 footers falling backwards, 23 of our 52 attempts were from 3, we rarely got in the lane. It's hard to get to the line that way.

We've won games by shooting more FTs than the other teams. Those were a result of our aggressiveness vs. the other team, not bad officiating.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Ain't like Tech was jacking up only threes. We scored most everything in the lane...and drew a lot of contact doing so. Just no fouls.
We didn't draw a lot of contact, I disagree. No more so than a lot of non-calls on Miami's end as well.

I'm not saying there weren't bad calls. Just think the narrative of how we lost is shallow.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Coincidentally I was watching future Cane Lonnie Walker in the county playoffs so I didn't get to see the game. This has to be viewed as a huge missed opportunity. Back to holding serve at home.

Deleted member 2897

We didn't draw a lot of contact, I disagree. No more so than a lot of non-calls on Miami's end as well.

I'm not saying there weren't bad calls. Just think the narrative of how we lost is shallow.

Let me phrase it slightly differently. If the refs had made just a couple of calls differently, and if Miami had not been making 85% of their free throws, the combination of just a couple of those things would have made it a tie game with 2 minutes left. After that, all bets are off. At one point, Miami was something like 19-22 from FT line. They have to make the shots for them to count, but the refs have to call the fouls too. Just 2 fewer questionable calls and a couple less made FT and that's all it takes. We have no margin for error.

ZacketJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Anytime you get outrebounded by double digits, give up 55% FGs, and only get to the FT line 3 times, you can bet you were playing sluggish. The good news is that, even playing that way, we were never really out of the game until the last couple minutes -- and we beat the spread again. Hopefully we'll get our legs back and put on a show for the home crowd Sunday!

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I did come away with increased confidence, albeit small, that we'll fare better against Syracuse on Sunday. While Miami played the 2-3 for the first 9 minutes, I thought our motions were solid. Heyward and Heath weren't baited into shooting with Miami laying off and we still got open looks. Syracuse's zone is better than Miami's but not consistent enough imo to lock down GT on O.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Agree with Cuse. We weren't attacking the basket but we couldn't. Miami wasn't even trying to guard any of our guys from 3. It was just a crowded mess in the middle. Either we need to hit 3's or Lammers needs some post moves.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
We seemed to struggle with Miami's length. Cuse has always had some long guys on the perimeter in the past. I haven't watched them this year. Are they still the same? I know there D has dropped off a lot compared to the past few years. For whatever reason we are a completely different team at home.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I pointed out the fouls were 13 to 6 before the end of game situation. 13 fouls is average to low for a game, right?

I thought the foul on Tadric on the 3 was a bad call. I also thought #4's lack of continuation was a bad call the other way. Our 7 footer was shooting 18 footers falling backwards, 23 of our 52 attempts were from 3, we rarely got in the lane. It's hard to get to the line that way.

We've won games by shooting more FTs than the other teams. Those were a result of our aggressiveness vs. the other team, not bad officiating.

Against FSU it was a 2-1 in our favor. Against ND it was near even. Against BC it was less than 2-1. Against NCSU it was near even. Against clemson it was near even. Against UNC it was near 2.5.-1 in our favor. None of our wins comes close to the 9-1 advantage that Miami had tonight. Even 7-1 before the fouls to extend the game isn't close to any of our advantages in our wins.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Against FSU it was a 2-1 in our favor. Against ND it was near even. Against BC it was less than 2-1. Against NCSU it was near even. Against clemson it was near even. Against UNC it was near 2.5.-1 in our favor. None of our wins comes close to the 9-1 advantage that Miami had tonight. Even 7-1 before the fouls to extend the game isn't close to any of our advantages in our wins.
I hear what you're saying. I just don't understand your point. Where is the rule that fouls have to occur in a specific distribution of shooting fouls vs. on the floor fouls? If I were to draw any conclusion it has nothing to do with the refs. I would say we were soft on the drive and made up for it at the basket. Or Miami didn't take bad shots, as evidenced by their FG % as well. The FT distribution does nothing for me.