@Miami

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The foul call by Teddy Valentine against Tadric was like the ole Aaron Neville Song.. "...thats all I need to know"!! And then, he stared him down... Gimme a break dude.

Going in, I was concerned about being able to generate enough consistent offense to keep up with the Canes. Give them credit, they shot the ball well. I thought we played too much in spurts. We made a nice run to take a one point lead, got a stop, and had a chance to extend, but Josh had a left handed lay-up rim out. After that, Reed hit a three and they seized control.

If Tadric had decided to show up before 3:00 left in the game, we probably have a good chance at stealing that one. The game against Cuse is HUGE.. Hopefully the home crowd gives us a lift - we'll need it.

Didn't really expect to win this one, but we do need to hold serve at home in our quest to end .500 or better.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
The interesting thing is TV's rep is you like him if you are the visiting team. Not so last night. I agree that Tadrick and O did not get benefit of the doubt on drives However I agree with Cuse that was not our biggest issue.

We were a tired beat up team. Especially Lammers and Q. No explosion no attacking. No legs for shooting. Rebounding numbers tell that story.

I didn't Know if it was the most 3 point shots we have attempted this year but it was 10 more than we average in ACC play. They were sagging and we were not explosive enough in our cuts or sets to get through it. So a lot of settling jumpers. Our drives were generally one on two or three started from a long way out.

Yes it would have been helpful to get a couple of calls on TJs drives but the overall tired and beat up was a bigger issue by far

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Q being hurt really hurt us a lot last night. He played through it, played decent D and still managed to lead us in rebounds but he wasn’t the same. He couldn’t move on Offense. He never really takes anyone off the dribble but his off ball movement really helps keeps the defense from tightening up and he’s usually good for crashing the boards for offensive rebounds. He was a statue out there.

Ben’s ankle is also bothering him more than he lets on. He had 3 rebounds last night. Miami was constantly grabbing rebounds by going over top of Ben. That just doesn’t happen. Ben managed 4 blocks but his biggest influence on D is usually just the altered shots he causes yet I saw several players score points over top of him. I’d venture to say about 10 Miami points and maybe more were scored just due to the fact Lammers was not himself.

I’m not solely blaming our loss on injuries because Miami is also hurt and has Newton suspended so every team deals with the same stuff but we just weren’t good at doing what we usually do.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
We were beat up but so were they.That was merely a "home-game" win.You get calls at home and you shoot better at home.

btw--I watched dook/uva. Almost no fouls were called in that game it seemed. ROUGH.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
They shot 55% from the field (50% from 3) and out-rebounded us by 14. Fouls and free throw shooting have very little to do with either of those statistics.

I liked Pastner's move to go to man as the game progressed - I'm sure his philosophy was if we can't keep them out of the lane while in a zone, we may as well play man and defend the 3 ball better. Defense was bad last night, especially in the first half. Poor close outs and ball stoppage contributed to their high shooting percentage, but give them credit as well - Huell and Vagisilvecic gave a nice lift off the bench and played well above their norm.

As CJP said - defense travels even when offense doesn't. We have to be better than last night defensively to win 3/5.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I had the same impression watching the second half of uva Duke. But also noted no one dragging like q or Lammers (not their fault). I did get a kick out of announcer commenting on the shot Salt gave a Duke player

In the end those threes by Tatum were just cold

ZacketJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Once I saw the disparity starting to get comical, I paid a lot of attention. Particularly Okogie and Tadric drew a lot of contact in the lane compared to exactly what was being called on the other side.

I agree with this completely, but I also agree with Cuse. I don't think it decided the game. We were playing sluggish, and when you do that, you begin to reach and press in ways that might make the refs a little more whistle-prone. On offense, it looks like you got trapped in the lane, and on defense, it looks like you got behind and needed to foul to make up for it. You can have the same contact, but your posture can make the refs see it differently. If we had been more aggressive overall, I think the game would have had a better outcome for us.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
btw--I watched dook/uva. Almost no fouls were called in that game it seemed. ROUGH.

I watched part of that game last night and the rest just now. Duke was getting hammered in the lane all game and never got a call. UVA definitely got whatever home court advantage there was from the refs. That being said, the refs just let both teams beat the crap out of each other. Really strange to see how one game it's all about "freedom of movement" and the next it's a bloodbath with no calls.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
GT moves to 15-9 ATS for what it's worth.

I remember a couple weeks ago discussing Big Bens BTTB game as compared to Millers. The last 2 games should put that to bed. Ben isn't a traditional post and DM was a lot more polished on the block. I don't like BLs fade away jumper but it goes in.

Also we had a kid who average 5 a game basically go get them a basketball whenever we got close. He had 13 or 15 when I turned it off. Reed was everything I knew he was. Effing kid didn't even hit the rim on his makes it was all nylon. Ended up with 21. Kamari Murphy was all over the place. Huell was in double digits. It just came together for them at home this game. In all likelihood they are dancing this year. It's not like we just lost to BC.

This game makes it more imperative that we defend the home court. Gotta beat Cuse on Sunday. I hate the matchup. I HATE it. I think it's one for those games where I guy like Roberson who is generally a rebounder or defender is primed to get them a double double especially if we rebound like we did last night. If gillon (sp?) plays like a SG playing PG than we have a shot.

We have got to go 3-2 in these last five to even sniff the dance floor. I also no longer care about expectations and will not be happy with the NIT. I wanna dance baby.....
You act like Dan was money with his back to the basket. Whenever he shot his fadeaway he missed. Dan was a really good player his last 2 years but polished offensively he was not. Most of his points came from ally oops and put backs. So, its deffinetly not put to bed, they both can improve but Lammers has better foot work on his post moves, more smooth and quicker. You act like dan was automatic with his back to the basket. No disrespect to Dan he was a good player for us and I know him well but just being honest.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
Its amazing we can score when Heyward and Heath our out there at the sametime. Its basically 3 vs 5. Very frustrating. Wish Mathews would get some minutes! He could really help us imo

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
So one of the highlights of last night's game, for me, was seeing KAnderson there. It was funny how they interviewed him about Arch Bishop Molloy and how Larranaga was a 'Molloy guy' so they thought KA would have split loyalties.

When asked, KA was like, "Uh, I'm rooting for my school (GT)!" Always a Jacket.

I'm gonna tune into that barbershop documentary or w/e about NY bball which will feature KA as well as Cremins.

An added bonus I wasn't aware of was Chris Bosh apparently spoke to the team last night.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/georgia-tech-gets-visit-from-chris-bosh/CvEe5ae3BFnb9sbLFpNX1I/

Really cool to see.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Out of our 52 attempts
  • 23 were 3's
  • 5 were Lammers jumpers from 2 (4 stand still, one from the block)
  • 4 were transition/fast break layups
  • 2 were Lammers dunks (maybe 1, can't remember for sure)
  • 1 was a Heath floater
I haven't watched a replay, but to my untrained eye live it seemed like we took a lot of bad shots. A few three pointers several steps behind the arc. Many times contested jumpers with about half the shot clock left. During a lot of those shots no-one was around the goal. I remember seeing three Miami players blocking out around the goal with no GT player in the screen. It appeared that they didn't execute the ball and lane rotation very well and there never was anyone in the right spot to rebound after the shots. I suspect that was either caused by the injuries, or the lack of practice because of the injuries.

23 out of 52 attempts from three is an amazing stat. For the year GT shoots about 1 out of 5 from behind the arc. The offense last night was definitely not like the normal offense. To expect to get the same number of free throws while shooting half your shots behind the arc, and having no-one in position to rebound isn't rational. I do agree that there were a few more that could have been called in GT's favor. However, there are several factors that contributed a lot more to the loss than missed foul calls.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
They shot 55% from the field (50% from 3) and out-rebounded us by 14. Fouls and free throw shooting have very little to do with either of those statistics.

Free-throws have a lot to do with rebounding margin. You can't get a defensive rebound on shots that are called fouls. They had more shots called with fouls so we had fewer opportunities for a defensive rebound. We got very few fouls called against them so they had more opportunities for drebs. The discrepancy in rebounding was largely due to the 26-15 advantage they had in defensive rebounds, which is directly affected by the number of times a foul was called on a shot.

As far as shooting goes we shot 48% and 40% (on a higher volume of 3s.

Yes, they shot better, and did rebound better, even looking at it in a way that takes into consideration opportunities, but not by a whole lot. We also took better care of the ball and passed better, more assists and fewer TOs. I'd argue that our advantage last night in passing and taking care of the ball was a bigger one than their advantage shooting and rebounding.

But the biggest advantage was 27-3 in freethrow attempts. That is an absurd difference.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Free-throws have a lot to do with rebounding margin. You can't get a defensive rebound on shots that are called fouls. They had more shots called with fouls so we had fewer opportunities for a defensive rebound. We got very few fouls called against them so they had more opportunities for drebs. The discrepancy in rebounding was largely due to the 26-15 advantage they had in defensive rebounds, which is directly affected by the number of times a foul was called on a shot.

As far as shooting goes we shot 48% and 40% (on a higher volume of 3s.

Yes, they shot better, and did rebound better, even looking at it in a way that takes into consideration opportunities, but not by a whole lot. We also took better care of the ball and passed better, more assists and fewer TOs. I'd argue that our advantage last night in passing and taking care of the ball was a bigger one than their advantage shooting and rebounding.

But the biggest advantage was 27-3 in freethrow attempts. That is an absurd difference.
No doubt the delta in FTs is staggering. I'm with Cuse in that I took issue with a few of the fouls (notably Tadric on the 3 and Ben when he met Huell at the rim on a missed dunk), but I think we could have been more aggressive driving to the lane. I think our inability to get into the paint was a combination of settling for jump shots, bad entry pass angles, and Miami's length and quickness on defense.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
The one GT game I remember where there was such a disparity in foul shots was a GT-UGA game several years ago in Athens.

The common factors:
Road game
Teddy V

If we are playing on the road and Valentine is an official, I turn the TV off.