@Miami

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Folks - there's no way that's Ted's real Twitter account. I'm not sure he has one. The bio says: "Nobody is there to watch the players play, everyone is there to watch me referee --Ted Valentine #TVTed" Location - "TV Screens Everywhere"

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I hear what you're saying. I just don't understand your point. Where is the rule that fouls have to occur in a specific distribution of shooting fouls vs. on the floor fouls? If I were to draw any conclusion it has nothing to do with the refs. I would say we were soft on the drive and made up for it at the basket. Or Miami didn't take bad shots, as evidenced by their FG % as well. The FT distribution does nothing for me.

My point is the refs sucked. .

The fact you tried to equate it to our victories when none of ours came close to the advantage miami has it shows just how out of place a 9-1 or even 7-1 FTA advantage is when you go back and actually look at the advantage we had.

A team who is more aggressive getting 2 or even 3 times more FTAs is understandable to a degree. But 9 times more? No way. Aggression level doesn't explain that.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
My point is the refs sucked. .

The fact you tried to equate it to our victories when none of ours came close to the advantage miami has it shows just how out of place a 9-1 or even 7-1 FTA advantage is when you go back and actually look at the advantage we had.

A team who is more aggressive getting 2 or even 3 times more FTAs is understandable to a degree. But 9 times more? No way. Aggression level doesn't explain that.
I am measuring aggression level by fouls, not FT attempts. Does that make sense?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I didn't see many missed foul calls this game. The Wake game was certainly pathetic but this was just a weak game offensively against a very good team. We lost fair and square.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I am measuring aggression level by fouls, not FT attempts. Does that make sense?

No because fouls include both offensive, of which a third of miami's were, and lose ball fouls where both sides are going for the ball, neither of which have to do with one team being more aggressive than the other.

If you thought that we were so passive on the offensive end that we only drew 4 defensive fouls then there's no point in continuing. We obviously weren't watching the same game.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I thought we played pretty crappy offensively and didn't rebound well, but I though the fouls were definitely in their favor. I don't think there's any way that the free throws should end up 27-3 no matter how aggressive or unaggressive we were.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
No because fouls include both offensive, of which a third of miami's were, and lose ball fouls where both sides are going for the ball, neither of which have to do with one team being more aggressive than the other.

If you thought that we were so passive on the offensive end that we only drew 4 defensive fouls then there's no point in continuing. We obviously weren't watching the same game.
Maybe we earned 5 or 6 the way you describe? I am happy to concede an extra 1 or 2. Happy to every game for those that insist. Probably makes up for 1 or 2 soft ones on us tonight. Still maintain what I said previously, and still doesn't change the outcome of the game, imo.

Speaking in absolutes about offensive and loose ball fouls is a tough sell. Both often have to do with aggression for a variety of reasons, while sometimes they don't fit that description. Offensive fouls at the basket seem to reinforce my point (i.e., if a team is getting to the there non-stop but sometimes results in a charge, that is aggression, unless completely reckless/out of control). Tonight Okogie drew a charge while we were pressing/trapping (i.e., aggressive in a different sense). Loose balls - get to the ball first and the second guy gets called for the foul. Over the back - more to your point.

Out of our 52 attempts
  • 23 were 3's
  • 5 were Lammers jumpers from 2 (4 stand still, one from the block)
  • 4 were transition/fast break layups
  • 2 were Lammers dunks (maybe 1, can't remember for sure)
  • 1 was a Heath floater
Just off hand you can eliminate 35 of our 52 attempts from foul consideration. I think some of the fouls folks were looking for would have been weak/bailout calls. We missed some layups without the a foul for sure. It was a struggle getting things consistently on O and we couldn't rebound... that was my take on the difference in the game.

Again we were called for 13 fouls before the end of game situation under 2 min (8 first half, 5 2nd half). That's not a lot, and of course 6 in our favor is not a lot either.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
We didn't draw a lot of contact, I disagree. No more so than a lot of non-calls on Miami's end as well.

I'm not saying there weren't bad calls. Just think the narrative of how we lost is shallow.
I'm not sure I was as unhappy with the calls that we didn't get as I was with the call they did get. Jax or Josh went hard into the lane and ended up on the floor and nothing and then Ben got some Ricky tack call on a rebound attempt. It just wasn't close to consistent. I don't really ever beleive fouls should be even, style determines that but I just want both ends to be officiated the same.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
GT moves to 15-9 ATS for what it's worth.

I remember a couple weeks ago discussing Big Bens BTTB game as compared to Millers. The last 2 games should put that to bed. Ben isn't a traditional post and DM was a lot more polished on the block. I don't like BLs fade away jumper but it goes in.

Also we had a kid who average 5 a game basically go get them a basketball whenever we got close. He had 13 or 15 when I turned it off. Reed was everything I knew he was. Effing kid didn't even hit the rim on his makes it was all nylon. Ended up with 21. Kamari Murphy was all over the place. Huell was in double digits. It just came together for them at home this game. In all likelihood they are dancing this year. It's not like we just lost to BC.

This game makes it more imperative that we defend the home court. Gotta beat Cuse on Sunday. I hate the matchup. I HATE it. I think it's one for those games where I guy like Roberson who is generally a rebounder or defender is primed to get them a double double especially if we rebound like we did last night. If gillon (sp?) plays like a SG playing PG than we have a shot.

We have got to go 3-2 in these last five to even sniff the dance floor. I also no longer care about expectations and will not be happy with the NIT. I wanna dance baby.....

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I have worried for some time that teams might sag their zone to take away our cuts and backdoor plays, thus forcing us to beat them with jump shots. Miami tried that for a while last night and it was not very effective. When they switched to M2M with protecting the lane as their primary focus, we could not adjust. Miami is long and quick, so they could deny the very the things we like to do. Without consistent outside shooters, we simply cannot win those battles frequently enough. That also got us out of position to rebound our own misses.

On the other end, #5 played at his highest level. He did to us what MGH did for us last year. His talent and will power were the difference. I predicted Miami would come in very motivated. They needed a win in last night's game much more than we did.

BTW, complaining about the officiating is for losers. It does not become us.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
BTW, complaining about the officiating is for losers. It does not become us.

This.

The fact that every team's fan base thinks the officials are biased against them is evidence that they are, in fact, unbiased. That doesn't mean they're all good officials or don't make bad calls, but I sincerely doubt they are for / against any team. When they are found to be biased (see Paparo, Richard) they are unceremoniously removed. Ditto for other behavior issues (King Karl Hess). The ACC actually has some of the best refs working college games right now (Eades, Ayers, Luckie) and one of the best (Kersey) mixed from the court to the front offfice this year. I'm not sure why, but it seems Ray Natili (good ref) no longer works ACC.

That said, I wish Ted V would retire

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Tv Ted sucks. And when Ayers works with him I'm not a fan of him either. Maybe it's a rules thing I'm not getting more than the refs but I think the refs contribute a great deal to home court advantage in CBB. I just want it called both ways and it seems to rarely happen

They talked about in Dausters podcast earlier this week. Big conspiracy inconferences regarding reffing and bubble teams amongst coaches

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
We didn't draw a lot of contact, I disagree. No more so than a lot of non-calls on Miami's end as well.

I'm not saying there weren't bad calls. Just think the narrative of how we lost is shallow.

Just agree to disagree. Once I saw the disparity starting to get comical, I paid a lot of attention. Particularly Okogie and Tadric drew a lot of contact in the lane compared to exactly what was being called on the other side.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Just agree to disagree. Once I saw the disparity starting to get comical, I paid a lot of attention. Particularly Okogie and Tadric drew a lot of contact in the lane compared to exactly what was being called on the other side.
Completely respect yours and the opposing opinion, and I'm good with agreeing to disagree.

Last post from me re: officiating as I've fallen into the trap of talking about it too much, thus making it too much of the story.

Did I think the officiating tilted toward Miami? Yes. I'm of the majority opinion here.
Do I think the officiating was egregious or decided the outcome of the game? No.

Imo, the main factors that influence officiating, in order:
1) Who is the aggressor... Miami
2) Who is playing at home... Miami
3) Is there anyone named Coach K sitting on the bench... No

Agree with @Peacone36 to a large extent re: home court advantage. Seems visiting teams lose a few more 50/50 calls than they get. As a result, it's easier to expect it and deal with it than use it as a crutch.

There were more things in our control that could have decided the outcome of the game... rebounding, layups, recognizing who Davon Reed is and where he is on the court, etc. Officiating was just one component of the bigger story, for me at least.