@Miami

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This game could be the key to our NCAA bid. Beating Miami in Coral Gables, at least on the surface, looks easier than winning in Syracuse or South Bend. And, we need one of those three games in our win column. The problem we face is that Miami needs this game more than we do. This coming week they have us and Clemson at home before a brutal gauntlet of @UVA, Duke at home, @VT, and @FSU to end the regular season. Like us, they need at least 9 ACC wins and getting to that number without sweeping next week will be almost impossible for them.

We need to get healthy and and play with focus and energy next week.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
This game could be the key to our NCAA bid. Beating Miami in Coral Gables, at least on the surface, looks easier than winning in Syracuse or South Bend. And, we need one of those three games in our win column. The problem we face is that Miami needs this game more than we do. This coming week they have us and Clemson at home before a brutal gauntlet of @UVA, Duke at home, @VT, and @FSU to end the regular season. Like us, they need at least 9 ACC wins and getting to that number without sweeping next week will be almost impossible for them.

We need to get healthy and and play with focus and energy next week.

Fwiw, I don't dispute thst this is our best chance to steal a remaining road game. However, it's not like our other games are @UNC, @UVA, @FSU, or @Duke. Miami may be our best shot but not by that much.

Our remaining schedule gives us a real shot at 4+ more wins.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
This one will be tough. Miami has very good veteran guards. We will need Heath and Jackson to play well and need Q back. With this team, I will never doubt their chances, they are fighters!

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Is there any chance we can finish .500 or better and draw the 10 seed? That would be an easier path to winning 2 games in BK and would pad the resume a little more. We'd play the 15 seed then the 7 seed in that scenario.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I disagree with best road shot but I understand the comment.

The way I'm thinking about it
  • @ Miami - we'll face a m2m defense, midweek, in a stadium with minimal fans
  • @ Syracuse - we'll face a 2-3 zone that will try to pack it in and force Heath/Heyward/Moore to beat us from deep, in a potentially difficult stadium to shoot in, on a Saturday afternoon in front of ~25K
Miami has lost two ACC games at home.

Syracuse has not lost an ACC game at home, yet, though they may tomorrow.

Syracuse beat Miami by 15 at the Dome.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I disagree with best road shot but I understand the comment.

The way I'm thinking about it
  • @ Miami - we'll face a m2m defense, midweek, in a stadium with minimal fans
  • @ Syracuse - we'll face a 2-3 zone that will try to pack it in and force Heath/Heyward/Moore to beat us from deep, in a potentially difficult stadium to shoot in, on a Saturday afternoon in front of ~25K
Miami has lost two ACC games at home.

Syracuse has not lost an ACC game at home, yet, though they may tomorrow.

Syracuse beat Miami by 15 at the Dome.
Probably true. I'm just not sure we can stop Miami enough times. We may score more points against Miami but I think they get close to 80 whereas Syracuse I think the winning team is in the high 60's. Not sure why I think that because Cuse probably averages more per game.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Call me crazy.....I like our chances at Pitt. Artis and young can score but they don't have a real PG. for me it comes down to Larranaga and Stallings. JL can coach. Stallings can't. I love that Pitt fans wanted Dixon gone and he's now 17-7 and on the verge of getting an at large at TCU

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I didn't understand the Dixon hate at pit either. Guess it just came with him having been there too long. He was a good upper middle of the of the ACC coach. My friends at Vanderbilt basically would've paid to see Stallings leave. Course the cupboard could be the reason the Dixon chose to leave too :)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Call me crazy.....I like our chances at Pitt. Artis and young can score but they don't have a real PG. for me it comes down to Larranaga and Stallings. JL can coach. Stallings can't. I love that Pitt fans wanted Dixon gone and he's now 17-7 and on the verge of getting an at large at TCU
We play Pitt at McCamish.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Home Games: Syracuse, NC ST, Pitt
Away Games: Miami, ND, Syracuse

i wish we had Syracuse a month ago when we were more healthy and Syracuse was playing like crap. But they don't scare me like in previous years, largely because their defense is not as good as it has been. They have been winning games more by outscoring teams than by stopping them. GT has not done too bad against teams that are strong offensively, but not so much defensively.

That said, I sort of like our chances against ND the best. They are the best team of the 3 road games we have, but i think we match up well against them and it just seems like every game against ND ends up being a 1-2 possession type game even in South Bend.

The syracuse 2fer is sort of interesting because they are basically in almost the exact same spot on the bubble. if either team sweeps those 2 I think they get in at the expense of the other team.

You don't have to beat Syracuse by hitting threes - that's actually a misconception, and one Syracuse would like you to believe. IMO the Syracuse game largely comes down to is Lammers hitting his mid range jumper. If he is then he causes all sorts of problems for the 2-3 zone as that would force them to have to come and guard him either with a baseline player -which opens up backdoor cuts, or with a perimeter defender, which opens up cuts right down the lane. if you get caught falling in love with the 3-pter you will likely lose as that is what syracuse wants you to do. What you want to do if force them to guard the FT line extended (which means having someone there who can consistently hit that jumper) which opens up multiple lanes for cutting to the basket.

I still think nothing has really changed - this week basically left us right where we were last Sunday - probably one of the first four out. Win both this week and you are looking pretty good, lose both and it looks really bleak, split and you are likely still first four out.

I'm worried about Q. Based on the post game it sounds like his ankle was a reinjury from the one he had against ND. Likely will have to play as much as he is able on that ankle the rest of the year. I doubt it will really heal until after the season. I think we will continue to see alot of small ball the rest of the year as we simply don't have the depth to do anything else.

We are likely going to need TJ to be consistently good the rest of the season to have any shot.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Home Games: Syracuse, NC ST, Pitt
Away Games: Miami, ND, Syracuse

i wish we had Syracuse a month ago when we were more healthy and Syracuse was playing like crap. But they don't scare me like in previous years, largely because their defense is not as good as it has been. They have been winning games more by outscoring teams than by stopping them. GT has not done too bad against teams that are strong offensively, but not so much defensively.

That said, I sort of like our chances against ND the best. They are the best team of the 3 road games we have, but i think we match up well against them and it just seems like every game against ND ends up being a 1-2 possession type game even in South Bend.

The syracuse 2fer is sort of interesting because they are basically in almost the exact same spot on the bubble. if either team sweeps those 2 I think they get in at the expense of the other team.

You don't have to beat Syracuse by hitting threes - that's actually a misconception, and one Syracuse would like you to believe. IMO the Syracuse game largely comes down to is Lammers hitting his mid range jumper. If he is then he causes all sorts of problems for the 2-3 zone as that would force them to have to come and guard him either with a baseline player -which opens up backdoor cuts, or with a perimeter defender, which opens up cuts right down the lane. if you get caught falling in love with the 3-pter you will likely lose as that is what syracuse wants you to do. What you want to do if force them to guard the FT line extended (which means having someone there who can consistently hit that jumper) which opens up multiple lanes for cutting to the basket.

I still think nothing has really changed - this week basically left us right where we were last Sunday - probably one of the first four out. Win both this week and you are looking pretty good, lose both and it looks really bleak, split and you are likely still first four out.

I'm worried about Q. Based on the post game it sounds like his ankle was a reinjury from the one he had against ND. Likely will have to play as much as he is able on that ankle the rest of the year. I doubt it will really heal until after the season. I think we will continue to see alot of small ball the rest of the year as we simply don't have the depth to do anything else.

We are likely going to need TJ to be consistently good the rest of the season to have any shot.

Lammers should have a field day in the middle of that zone.