Miami Preparation Media Thread

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The pitch game is still all about numbers. The main thing is can we knock down the middle linebacker and the safeties who are sneaking up. If we can do that and achieve the numbers advantage on the edge, we can run on the perimeter, even on a wet field.*

*Assuming we bring the right friggin cleats.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I’m expecting the exact opposite to happen. It’s going to be raining a lot and on a wet soggy field A backs can’t cut like they need to and Miami has enough speed and then some to stuff our A backs for no gains all day.

I think A backs will have a minimal impact
Depends on how disciplined the LB's are, against FSU they were crashing gaps pretty hard and getting caught up in traffic. If they do that we should have a good day with the A backs.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
I really don't think the weather is going to be that big of an issue. It is projected to rain but looking at the projected amounts it should rain less than an inch total over the next 3 days. Miami plays on an NFL field in South Florida that has excellent drainage, field conditions won't be a problem.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
92.9 the game said that Richardson (Miami WR) is not looking good for playing this week. Said he knows people when asked where he heard that from.

Yjacket82

Georgia Tech Fan
I really don't think the weather is going to be that big of an issue. It is projected to rain but looking at the projected amounts it should rain less than an inch total over the next 3 days. Miami plays on an NFL field in South Florida that has excellent drainage, field conditions won't be a problem.

I hope they bring the right cleats for playing on the Platinum TE Paspalum grass. It is finer than the Tifway 419 at BDS. Sort of like playing on a green vs. St. Augustine, lol.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Okay, I've watched all the games multiple times, and I've watched the vids from @Longestday (but not always with full exclusive attention). So, I think he mentioned this, but I'm not sure how much or with what emphasis.

IIuc, one of the reasons for KB's success up the middle is a combination of us getting a decent hole with our GCG and teams having their rushing their MLB's in support against playside perimeter. So, once KB gets through the line, he breaks arm tackles until he gets to the safeties, often 10yds up the field.

I wonder if his success will keep the Mikes at home a couple beats in possible run support against the dive and thus leave them more susceptible to our traditional blocking.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Traditionally the MLB can charge hard to the outside if the DTs can beat the OGs. If the OG beats the DT, the MLB has to "scrape" down to help with the dive on the way to the outside. This makes the MLB easier to block by the OT / brings him closer and slows him down (it is much harder for the OT to block a MLB if he is charging full speed to the outside)

Sometimes you will see a 5 man front with "stacked" MLB (7 in the box) or a 4 man front / 3 LB and one LB in front of the MLB (8 in the box). The close MLB is for the dive. The back MLB is to cover the outside. The counter dives and eat the close MLB's lunch as the dive goes counter grain to the QB turn.

5 man fronts are very open to attack in the center. If you break through, all you have to do is beat the safety.

3 LB get dive can get help front the backside if they read quickly and act quickly.

I bet Miami forces TQM to keep the ball in an attempt to hit him as much as possible. Take the dive, take the pitch man, hit the QB. Rather be burnt by the QB than burnt by the Aback. At least you have help on the inside and you get to hit the QB to soften him up.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I’m expecting the exact opposite to happen. It’s going to be raining a lot and on a wet soggy field A backs can’t cut like they need to and Miami has enough speed and then some to stuff our A backs for no gains all day.

I think A backs will have a minimal impact

A wet track might help keep our ABs push runs to the outside that they’ve been trying to cut back so far this year. The outside has been open a few times where a guy has cut back into traffic. If they can learn to trust the plays a little more they may find hitting more to the outside opens up the middle a bit more too.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
MyAJC article
Sugiura: Jackets recount Tech’s hard times at Miami
Sedric Griffin was there when Georgia Tech beat Miami on the road. It was a 17-14 win in 2007, the Hurricanes’ final season in the Orange Bowl.

“I guess it had sentimental value, but that place was a dump,” Griffin said this week.
Saturday, Tech fans – and former players – will be hoping for the streak to end.

Said Griffin, “I’m definitely expecting a big win from our guys this week.”

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Rain is not GT’s friend. The out side requires speed cuts, which are very easy to slip on.

Dives, Midlines, and QB follows may be good for rain. That may be a difference maker since GT has focused on that area this year.

The only good rain game was the UNC one... all the others where not good.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Rain is not GT’s friend. The out side requires speed cuts, which are very easy to slip on.

Dives, Midlines, and QB follows may be good for rain. That may be a difference maker since GT has focused on that area this year.

The only good rain game was the UNC one... all the others where not good.
It's not only the cutting but the mesh itself that gets affected. Heavy rain is bad for us in general.