Miami Preparation Media Thread

Deleted member 2897

What did you mean by your typo "But I has a sad."? And where you read this bad news rumor? If it was behind a paywall can you say which one? With all reports lately saying Andrew Marshall was back to practicing, your hint comes as a pretty big bad surprise, so more info would be nice.

He is not even on the depth chart. I highly doubt he is practicing - where did you read that? Tomorrow is the official injury report I think, so hopefully we will learn something new.

MountPGT1990

Banned
Injured UM Canes still sidelined (one not there) and 2 QBs role-playing
BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN

OCTOBER 11, 2017 10:51 AM

The same four players (besides running back Mark Walton, who sustained a season-ending ankle injury at FSU) who missed Tuesday’s University of Miami football practice appears to have not practiced Wednesday, with one of them not even outside.

Offensive lineman Navaughn Donaldson, receiver Ahmmon Richards and cornerback Dee Delaney were on conditioning bikes, with safety Sheldrick Redwine not there.

The only one who looks as if he might be able to go (not certain, of course) if needed is Richards, who likely reaggravated his tender hamstring at Florida State and could not finish the game. Richards was pedaling with both feet and seemingly full force.

But 6-6, 350-pound freshman right guard Navaughn Donaldson still has the large black boot over his right foot and his limping and 6-1, 193-pound graduate transfer Dee Delaney (Two-time All-American out of The Citadel) still has the brace over his right knee. Both are only using their left leg to pedal.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/c...-of-miami/article178234541.html#storylink=cpy

65Jacket

GT Athlete
I saw Andy Marshall at Emory Clinic on Executive Park Drive yesterday. He was in a boot on his right leg. I have heard that his career is over.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Rivals: Jackets D preps for the U
In terms of skill, Simmons said it is basically the same QB and O-line as UNC, Miami just has better skill players. He is planning on having another big game Saturday.

“I’ve got confidence going into any game. I feel like I got a lot better this year than I was last year. It’s the same O-line, so I think I’m going to have very great success Saturday. Just got to execute my job and mix up my pass rituals and I’ll be fine.”
Senior cornerback Step Durham stressed that watching film and picturing himself on the field gives him an edge over Miami’s dangerous skill players.

“We just watch film and picture ourselves in the game. That’s the biggest thing, playing what the coaches call, just having a knack for the ball, and watching film. That gives you the biggest edge over your opponent.” He said that having the break and being able to watch them play against FSU gave him a chance to figure out what they’ll do in big moments and who they’ll go to.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sugiura: Miami ‘a real true test’ for Georgia Tech
“(Miami) had a huge win against Florida State, and I feel like if we get this win, we’ll get more attention,” A-back Clinton Lynch said.
After conference games against two teams likely headed for the bottom of the Coastal Division standings (Pitt and North Carolina), wide receiver Ricky Jeune sees Saturday’s game in Miami Gardens, Fla., as a barometer.

“We’re working hard and we’re looking forward to this game,” he said. “To me, this is our real true test to see what Georgia Tech football’s about.”

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
CBS Miami: Hurricanes Defense Will Have Its Hands Full With Georgia Tech Running Game
Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz said this about Georgia Tech’s run offense.

“It comes back to what every game does – it’s about explosive plays, which is really their greatest threat. Everyone thinks about the run game, I think they’re fifth in the country in yards per pass attempt and they normally are. They’ve only thrown it 33 times in four games, but when they do, they get yards. They’ve got guys down the field that can go get it. The quarterback throws it down the field better than you wish he did. It’s the constant threat of explosive plays. Tackling is super important. Our secondary was outstanding tackling in that game a year ago, and will have to be again. There’s very little margin for error.”

First question - how much does your experience vs GT help in this game

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
First question - do you think you'd have fun running Georgia Tech's offense? A: Nah
Another question - how do you beat this defense? A: They're pretty good, they throw a lot of different stuff than they did in previous year

First question - what's your message to the guys who are playing GT for the first time? A: It's tough, not everyone agrees with the way they play but it works well for them.

Questions on game speed, cut blocks

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Watching the Miami vs. FSU game, some thoughts:

Miami's offense:
I'm not impressed with their O-line. I think we can get pressure with 4, and definitely some corner blitzes. Some stunts and twists should make a lot of hay.

Their WR's are HUGE. They are TE's who can run. They had the dropsies against FSU, so they'll probably catch everything against us. Didn't see Miami throw it deep much. They like to throw short throws outside. Will need secondary and LBers to really be "on" and wrap up. Also, need our defense to recognize the TEs because they'll eat our lunch otherwise.

QB had a bad day too, just not impressed by him. He doesn't look particularly elusive, though some of that may be FSU's D. I think if we can cover we can sack his brains out. As long as he doesn't have a perfect day, I think we can keep them under 21 points no problem.

Miami's defense:
They have some talent and athleticism. We will just have to see how it plays out but nobody on their D-line looks unblockable to me. If our O-line is healthy, I think we move the line of scrimmage against them.

Lots of athleticism and speed from the linebackers. To take a phrase from iBeeballin, they "shoot their gun" REALLY early most of the time. I'll be interested to see what they do both in alignment and their first step against us. When they guess right, they tackle in the backfield, but more often they just get sucked up into the trash. Also saw a LOT of broken tackles because they launch and leave their feet.

Not much to say about their DBs. Will be interesting to see how well they handle our big WRs and getting cut by our ABs.

Final thoughts:
We can't fumble. I hope Benson and Marshall have been working on keeping it high and tight. Really need them to take care of the ball. I hope the field is dry because a wet field is not in our best interest. Whether we like it or not we are a "cut back" team this year and it'll hurt us if the field is a mess.

Defense needs the D-line to hold its own in the run game so the back 7 can focus on being in coverage. Not sure how much they'll even try to establish the run so much as use it as a mix up to the pass. Miami's line does that same fan thing as UNC, and we've shown that we can exploit that with Simmon's 1v1 on the single tackle.

LBers, Mitchel and Alexander, have got to have a good game. Need them making the right first step. Everybody wrap up!

Jackets win 38-20

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
Expect a big day from the A-Backs. Looking in 2016 game, they kept the safeties deep to avoid the big pass, and they push the LBs right up to the LOS to shoot gaps, stop the dive, and stop the QB. We got perimeter yards all day last year. If we can avoid scoop and score meltdowns, we should win.

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
Expect a big day from the A-Backs. Looking in 2016 game, they kept the safeties deep to avoid the big pass, and they push the LBs right up to the LOS to shoot gaps, stop the dive, and stop the QB. We got perimeter yards all day last year. If we can avoid scoop and score meltdowns, we should win.

RIght on. I’m looking for Lynch to make his name known again. He’s been super quiet this season

MountPGT1990

Banned

I’m expecting the exact opposite to happen. It’s going to be raining a lot and on a wet soggy field A backs can’t cut like they need to and Miami has enough speed and then some to stuff our A backs for no gains all day.

I think A backs will have a minimal impact