Miami Preparation Media Thread

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Me likey the stranger.... seems that when we get a score ahead, teams get panicky and start to press. Falls into the lap of an opportunistic ball hawking defensive backfield. Excited for the Miami game

I think there's something to this, but I'm not sure how to quantify it. As I've looked at statistics, especially scoring efficiency, over the last several years, I've begun to wonder about various ways our Offense could affect our Defense. One way--which has some supporting evidence from opposition coach testimony--is that offenses are more aggressive against our D because our O limits their possessions.

In other words, should we play D as if the opposing O is being excessively aggressive? We are all aware of the old canard that a "Prevent D" at the end of a game prevents winning. We maybe saw this is FSU vs d'oh U. Maybe our D in the past has been designed against our opponents' normal, conservative O, while in reality they run their aggressive 2min D against us all the time. (Maybe not this exactly, but something like this?)

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
MyAJC article
Sugiura: How TaQuon Marshall spent his bye week
“Taking time out to speak to kids and tell them they can achieve their goals was awesome. All the kids were so happy to see TaQuon,” Jason Brown, a coach of the Waverly Hall team, said in a text message. “This was HUGE! Let’s think about this for a second. ... TaQuon had an off weekend from football in Atlanta and decided to come all the way back to little ole Harris County to speak to kids. WOW! What a class act and just a great person!”

bentlloyd

Georgia Tech Fan
I love our coach, but his interviews can be painful to watch. I wish he looked like he enjoyed doing them... he just looks unhappy to be dealing with “these stupid reporters...”
I disagree. He's just answering the questions. Realize that he has to do these pretty much daily during the season, so I don't know why he would be rather excited to be doing them.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I love our coach, but his interviews can be painful to watch. I wish he looked like he enjoyed doing them... he just looks unhappy to be dealing with “these stupid reporters...”

I hear you and agree, but I reckon he sees it as a contractual obligation that's not really the job. It's like when an engineer has to attend meetings not directly associated with getting the project done.

He's never going to change at this point, imo. Still, I wish someone would help him see that reporters are lazy. If you push your story, they'll print it. It may not have a huge impact on public opinion and recruiting, but who knows?

Yes, @DrJacket we know.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He's always been a little surly after practices. He's a perfectionist. He's never satisfied after practice so it puts him in that mood. Now get him at a function like the coaches show or guest speaker at a banquet or doing a national interview and he's engaging, funny, etc. We just get his other side after practice. Actually, I think he's gotten a little better recently.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
He's always been a little surly after practices. He's a perfectionist. He's never satisfied after practice so it puts him in that mood. Now get him at a function like the coaches show or guest speaker at a banquet or doing a national interview and he's engaging, funny, etc. We just get his other side after practice.

Also, the injury questions that he answers the same every week (“you’ll know on Thursday”) must really get old.

Kareem

Banned
He's always been a little surly after practices. He's a perfectionist. He's never satisfied after practice so it puts him in that mood. Now get him at a function like the coaches show or guest speaker at a banquet or doing a national interview and he's engaging, funny, etc. We just get his other side after practice. Actually, I think he's gotten a little better recently.
Agreed, I thought he was a little tame at this PC

Deleted member 2897

I thought I wrote a post recently describing how Richt plays defense against us. Its a 3 man DL with a 4th and 5th guy right on the edge of the 2 outside DLs. These 4th and 5th guys are LB/DL hybrid types who can roam and help try to contain the perimeter plays. Then he plays 2-3 true LBs and very frequently fires 1 at the snap to try and disrupt the mesh.

There are quite a few plays that we can run with TaQuon that we couldn't run with JT5 that I think will help us with this defensive lineup, like Midline and Bubble. Also, counters can work pretty well too. Here is a queued up clip from the 2015 georgia game and our first offensive possession. If you stick with the video, you'll notice a trend of counter like plays over and over, all direct handoffs. So it appears to me CPJ knew what was coming from past experience, and tried to avoid those mesh interruption issues and also wanted to deal with their over pursuit to the playside. That far outside hybrid guy sitting on the edge appears to be told his only job is to not pursue but to set the edge to prevent those counters. But if we hit our blocks right, we'd have numbers on those plays because the rest of the defense flows hard playside. Especially on the first play notice how that play could have gone had Will Bryan been able to pick up his block better (I don't think missing his block was his fault, there was just a lot of traffic he couldn't get through).

Stony157

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm new to this board. I'm an old Tech and UM grad living in Coral Gables so I hear more about and follow UM since the campus is about a mile from my house. The team is definitely taking Tech seriously. They always do, even when Tech is not having one of its better years. Tech is one team they don't like to face because of the offense and TOP advantage Tech always has. Of course UM has had poor to very medocre teams for about 15 years. With Richt's improved recruiting and coaching, though, they already have better depth this year and substitute a lot which helps their late game endurance. I expect to see a tough, close game.

Their run offense was poor against FSU for a couple of reasons, IMO. Walton came into the game with a gimpy left leg and shouldn't have played, expect he's the best RB at picking up blitzes. He was no where near as good running as he normally is. FSU's defensive front is by far the best UM has faced this year. And then both FSU and UM are just now getting back into game condition since the hurricane interrupted their season.

UM's defensive front 7 are really good and didn't play well against FSU because they were too aggressive in going after the ball carrier leaving runs to the outside open and missing assigned gaps. They know they have to be much better against Tech or they'll get beat.

If any of you are coming to South Florida for the game, welcome and enjoy the game!

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I thought I wrote a post recently describing how Richt plays defense against us. Its a 3 man DL with a 4th and 5th guy right on the edge of the 2 outside DLs. These 4th and 5th guys are LB/DL hybrid types who can roam and help try to contain the perimeter plays. Then he plays 2-3 true LBs and very frequently fires 1 at the snap to try and disrupt the mesh.

There are quite a few plays that we can run with TaQuon that we couldn't run with JT5 that I think will help us with this defensive lineup, like Midline and Bubble. Also, counters can work pretty well too. Here is a queued up clip from the 2015 georgia game and our first offensive possession. If you stick with the video, you'll notice a trend of counter like plays over and over, all direct handoffs. So it appears to me CPJ knew what was coming from past experience, and tried to avoid those mesh interruption issues and also wanted to deal with their over pursuit to the playside. That far outside hybrid guy sitting on the edge appears to be told his only job is to not pursue but to set the edge to prevent those counters. But if we hit our blocks right, we'd have numbers on those plays because the rest of the defense flows hard playside. Especially on the first play notice how that play could have gone had Will Bryan been able to pick up his block better (I don't think missing his block was his fault, there was just a lot of traffic he couldn't get through).

Do they run the same defense as uga , their DC ( Diaz) did not coach at uga.