Message from GTAA

Did you contribute to the A-T Fund? If so, how much?

• Yes

Votes: 48 40.3%
  • No

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • $1-$50

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • $51-$100

Votes: 10 8.4%
  • $101-$250

Votes: 16 13.4%
  • $251-$500

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • $501+

Votes: 42 35.3%

• Total voters

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
So the goal is to source $300k-$500k for the first 2 years = $600k-$1M. But one dude is pitching in $200k himself. That leaves for the fundraising goal $400k-$800k.

We currently have 8,000 who give to the GTAA? If we can get 1,000 of them to give to this program, then that means $400-$800 per person. The math obviously gets more and more easy the more who give.

I suspect this is a bit of a pilot, designed to be manageable, and there is a longer list of wants behind this.

I have a call with someone there next week. We have some ideas we are going to bounce around. I hope we can make this one successful in short order and then build on it from there. Ultimately we need 20,000 people engaged and giving. It's amazing how much JUST ASKING can do. That alone was a suggestion I know a bunch of us have had.

I am more optimistic about our football program (and basketball too) than I have been in a long time. We all want 10 wins (25 in basketball), but you can't take shortcuts. You have to start building things for the long run.

Regardless of who our AD and Head Coach are 5 years from now, I hope we will all remember what these guys are doing for the program.

Its not a pilot, here is how this is working. And I mentioned this before. Donations do not pay for GTAA staff on a yearly basis. Its a base cost in the books. Donations are variable seed money that helps the AA as needed, but are not relied upon to pay for staffers, as that is too fluctuating and risky.

What Stansbury is saying, is until the new revenue kicks in and the old coaches salaries come off the books in 2 years, we will need seed money to support the new hires for two years. Then they will be part of the on going run rate expenses. Like all other staffers are. These are not coaches.

So a guy donated 400k. 200k + a 50% match he is getting. He is looking for the remaining 200-300k to minimally support the hires for the next two years.

That should be no problem.

And I am finally GLAD Stansbury is doing what he said he would. I have said this a million times, adding 400k to the GTAA budget is nothing...they have to get it done, and he has decided to kick it off with a fundraising campaign to seed it.

personally, this isn't rocket science and I am not sure why it took a year. But glad its here.

Deleted member 2897

Its not a pilot, here is how this is working. And I mentioned this before. Donations do not pay for GTAA staff on a yearly basis. Its a base cost in the books. Donations are variable seed money that helps the AA as needed, but are not relied upon to pay for staffers, as that is too fluctuating and risky.

What Stansbury is saying, is until the new revenue kicks in and the old coaches salaries come off the books in 2 years, we will need seed money to support the new hires for two years. Then they will be part of the on going run rate expenses. Like all other staffers are. These are not coaches.

So a guy donated 400k. 200k + a 50% match he is getting. He is looking for the remaining 200-300k to minimally support the hires for the next two years.

That should be no problem.

And I am finally GLAD Stansbury is doing what he said he would. I have said this a million times, adding 400k to the GTAA budget is nothing...they have to get it done, and he has decided to kick it off with a fundraising campaign to seed it.

personally, this isn't rocket science and I am not sure why it took a year. But glad its here.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply this is a test pilot itself and the spots may go away. I meant that hopefully this will be a good test case to then expand further.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Query: Do fundraisers work best following a dismal season or a great season? Just wondering about the psychology of it all.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply this is a test pilot itself and the spots may go away. I meant that hopefully this will be a good test case to then expand further.

Gotcha.

The key is the aa will be bringing in more reliable non cyclical revenue through tv and adidas. And coaches contracts go away.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Query: Do fundraisers work best following a dismal season or a great season? Just wondering about the psychology of it all.

At tech its pretty flat.....usually scales with economic conditions more than team performance. AT fund has been essentially destroyed due to psls.

But with the new tax plan and psls are no longer deductible i expect AT to grow again and psls get hammered.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
And, I really mean this, thank you. I just do not understand why it is up to you to do this. The athletic department should have a person here, if for no other reason than to have an idea what the fans are saying. Why don't they disseminate this far and wide?
If you had the pay site you would understand why.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
So the goal is to source $300k-$500k for the first 2 years = $600k-$1M. But one dude is pitching in $200k himself. That leaves for the fundraising goal $400k-$800k.

We currently have 8,000 who give to the GTAA? If we can get 1,000 of them to give to this program, then that means $400-$800 per person. The math obviously gets more and more easy the more who give.

I suspect this is a bit of a pilot, designed to be manageable, and there is a longer list of wants behind this.

I have a call with someone there next week. We have some ideas we are going to bounce around. I hope we can make this one successful in short order and then build on it from there. Ultimately we need 20,000 people engaged and giving. It's amazing how much JUST ASKING can do. That alone was a suggestion I know a bunch of us have had.

I am more optimistic about our football program (and basketball too) than I have been in a long time. We all want 10 wins (25 in basketball), but you can't take shortcuts. You have to start building things for the long run.

Regardless of who our AD and Head Coach are 5 years from now, I hope we will all remember what these guys are doing for the program.
Totally agree with this. And also for taking the step to make a call. Never hurts, shows interest and support.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
So it would appear. Targeted recruiting on a wider geographical basis is a must for Georgia Tech. By "targeted" I mean identifying as the letter states particular schools that fit a profile that would suggest its athletes can do the school work and are a fit for Tech. This is a way out of the academics vs athletics problem that has vexed us for so long.

Side,
I have been advocating a system of identification by region of US with alumni as key IDers.Givethe names to pros on staff.Might be able to cover every state.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm raising the bets.

Here is proof of my contribution. I'm committed to GT and want us to excel in ALL venues we compete in, academic and athletic. I've been unhappy with the results we've had lately, but also willing to contribute however needed to get "Ma Tech" where I know she can be.

Who's going to up the ante?

Hell yeah man! Get it!

I just graduated and have not started my career. I don't have much money, but I still chipped in $50. Every little bit helps yeah?

Keep it up folks!

Last edited:

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I think you're approach would benefit by looking at how data skews in these sample sizes. Using your numbers of a range of 8,000, then ... over 7,000 will give $500 or less and of those 7,000 ... the vast majority will give <$50. About 1,000 will give $500 or more and that will be heavily skewed towards 70 or so folks donating heavily, usually $2,500 or above.

So the trick is get most alumni giving $50 or so ... and identifying 70 or so who can deliver $2,500 or more. That's why most giving programs are organized in tiers ($50, $500, $500, $50,000).

Be careful trying to collect "average donations". The average is only determined by the results of what happens at the margins.

Just think: if 20,000 season ticket holders all freely donated $50.00, that would be a million dollars right there. I doubt that's anywhere near as much as they have been getting through the ticket fees, but I would assume that many of those who have been paying the really high ticket fees would also donate large amounts as well. What remains to be seen is if Tech, or any school in the country that has them, is still going to charge ticket fees, since they will no longer be deductible.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Just think: if 20,000 season ticket holders all freely donated $50.00, that would be a million dollars right there. I doubt that's anywhere near as much as they have been getting through the ticket fees, but I would assume that many of those who have been paying the really high ticket fees would also donate large amounts as well. What remains to be seen is if Tech, or any school in the country that has them, is still going to charge ticket fees, since they will no longer be deductible.

I wonder if a specific request has ever been sent out to all the season ticket holders with defining what the extra contribution would be assigned to? Certainly I don't ever remember receiving anything like that.

I wonder if a specific request has ever been sent out to all the season ticket holders with defining what the extra contribution would be assigned to? Certainly I don't ever remember receiving anything like that.
I have never received anything like that from them either. It's about time, past time actually, that they started doing things like that.