Matthew Jordan out for rest of spring.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
MJ is a stud football playa! It's going to be interesting to watch the competition to see is going to back him up which is the important in this offense.
Yep, CPJ is just full of it and there is no competition, it's really not even close but the players aren't very smart so they think they have a shot. That's why CPJ is saying it's a competition and hasn't named a starter, to motivate the others guys who actually think they have a shot even though it's not remotely close.

Last edited:

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I don't think the starting QB is locked up at all.

"Johnson reasserted his opinion that quarterback is probably the deepest position on the team and went so far as to say of Jones that “I’m not sure he can’t be the (starting) quarterback.”"

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/g...for-offense-scrimmage/K9Eb3IrRB52RIME2Gg7JRK/

Ok I'll say it Just pick one you agree with
(Tech’s offense scored six touchdowns in the closed scrimmage)

1) OH no our defensive is really bad.
2) Wow our offensive is great no one will be able to stop us.
3) It's only spring practice doesn't mean too much other then giving us some reason to disagree with people who don't think like we do.
( And it should be a good off season to disagree with people who don't believe like we do )
4) Our defensive will be OK we just need a better pass rush.
5) Our offensive can play anyone at QB because this is the best OL we have had at Tech
6) I have no idea what this means because I don't know which players were on the field at that time.
7) I just want to go to the spring game and fast forward to the season.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Ok I'll say it Just pick one you agree with
(Tech’s offense scored six touchdowns in the closed scrimmage)

1) OH no our defensive is really bad.
2) Wow our offensive is great no one will be able to stop us.
3) It's only spring practice doesn't mean too much other then giving us some reason to disagree with people who don't think like we do.
( And it should be a good off season to disagree with people who don't believe like we do )
4) Our defensive will be OK we just need a better pass rush.
5) Our offensive can play anyone at QB because this is the best OL we have had at Tech
6) I have no idea what this means because I don't know which players were on the field at that time.
7) I just want to go to the spring game and fast forward to the season.
I don't think you can take much out of Spring scrimmages and Summer practices. I think we will find out a lot about the 2017 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets when they play Tennessee and Central Florida.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We all want to desperately read things into these reports and coaches' quotes but you just can't. It's spring. My advice, just enjoy the fact we have football to talk about and take everything with a grain of salt. (or a shot of tequila and salt, if your me...)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
CPJ says a lot of good things about a lot of young guys over the years. I'm not saying CPJ has been dishonest, and he probably thinks they could all play, but we need to take things with a grain of salt when none of the freshmen have ever seen a snap. Some of the guys he spoken of highly in the past never made the field. I think CPJ is smart about what he says. It seems he tends to speak highly of young guys who don't play a lot to encourage them, and is more critical of guys who are going to play.

Like I said earlier, we'll know a lot more when we so who's running with which team at the spring game.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
I don't think you can take much out of Spring scrimmages and Summer practices. I think we will find out a lot about the 2017 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets when they play Tennessee and Central Florida.
I agree!! I thought it was 6 TDs out of 19 possessions. Wasn't there a couple of forced fumbles, a couple of non forced and an interception. IIRC and these are the facts, certainly nothing to get overly optimistic about. Long way to go until opening day. Go Jackets THWG

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I don't think the starting QB is locked up at all.

"Johnson reasserted his opinion that quarterback is probably the deepest position on the team and went so far as to say of Jones that “I’m not sure he can’t be the (starting) quarterback.”"

http://www.ajc.com/sports/college/g...for-offense-scrimmage/K9Eb3IrRB52RIME2Gg7JRK/
Ken inserted the word (starting) in that quote. I think Ken is mistaken in his implied interpretation. When I listened to the audio, someone asked about Jay and Taquon moving positions to get the best 11 on the field. CPJ was really talking up Jay's athleticism and said WTTE: "yeah, you want your best athletes on the field, but he needs to soak at QB some and I'm not sure he can't be the QB." I interpret that as CPJ saying that he's not going to move Jay because Jay might be the QB some day, not necessarily this year.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Ken inserted the word (starting) in that quote. I think Ken is mistaken in his implied interpretation. When I listened to the audio, someone asked about Jay and Taquon moving positions to get the best 11 on the field. CPJ was really talking up Jay's athleticism and said WTTE: "yeah, you want your best athletes on the field, but he needs to soak at QB some and I'm not sure he can't be the QB." I interpret that as CPJ saying that he's not going to move Jay because Jay might be the QB some day, not necessarily this year.
So you think we are getting fake news . :)

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
CPJ says a lot of good things about a lot of young guys over the years. I'm not saying CPJ has been dishonest, and he probably thinks they could all play, but we need to take things with a grain of salt when none of the freshmen have ever seen a snap. Some of the guys he spoken of highly in the past never made the field. I think CPJ is smart about what he says. It seems he tends to speak highly of young guys who don't play a lot to encourage them, and is more critical of guys who are going to play.

Like I said earlier, we'll know a lot more when we so who's running with which team at the spring game.
Agree we will know soon enough, but as far as Jones, it's been stated by someone closer to the program than most of us that CPJ is really excited about Him, also if you listen to him talk about Jones, his tone of voices tells it all about how Atheletic Jones is. But if there is one thing we can agree on it's that we will know soon enough at the spring game, untill then it's just speculation on our part.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I could see that if it wasn't for reports from someone on this board closer to the program than us saying he's really excited about Jones( although that doesn't mean anything for this year) but most of all because CPJ has stated it is an open competition. Also during that conversation they were talking about this year and the QB competition, so imo it was just flowing into that question.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I could see that if it wasn't for reports from someone on this board closer to the program than us saying he's really excited about Jones( although that doesn't mean anything for this year) but most of all because CPJ has stated it is an open competition.
I'm not saying it's not. I have agreed with you that it is an open competition. I just think that particular quote is mistakenly taken as evidence and is overstating the case a little bit. I also think it's possible for Jay to end up winning the spot this year, I just don't think that's necessarily what CPJ was talking about in this particular instance.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'm not saying it's not. I have agreed with you that it is an open competition. I just think that particular quote is mistakenly taken as evidence and is overstating the case a little bit. I also think it's possible for Jay to end up winning the spot this year, I just don't think that's necessarily what CPJ was talking about in this particular instance.
Oh I agree he wasn't saying Jay Will be the starter. I was just saying, what I said to show that imo it does mean it's an open competition and Jay could become the starter this year. I just don't think CPJ was saying that for future reference but he was talking about this year in saying Jones could become the starter, because the conversation right before was about this year and the QB competition.

Last edited:

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
This is a stupid argument. We've got Mathew Jordan's family on here saying that he is without a doubt the starter, weve got other posters who think it's open. Neither side will convince each other. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle, as always. Jordan will probably start next year, but the separation isn't enormous.

Whoever starts, Jordan or otherwise, will have earned it. Of that we can be assured.