Matthew Jordan out for rest of spring.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I agree. It most definitely matters. I feel like many assume MJ will provide the best ball security of our 4 qbs. He may, but it should not be assumed simply because he has more experience.

Makes sense. Usually it takes reps to get ball security down but you never know when some kid will buck the trend. I like where MJ is right now with his fundamentals. Havent seen the other guys to compare.

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
Three years of running our offense is something most people take for granted. I don't think anyone was beating out MJ

I value his time with the program. And yes, he is most likely going to start. It just bugs me that so many people want to give it to him without seeing any of the other kids work in the offense.

- MJ being in the offense 3 years and having 2 games with significant playing time does not automatically make him the best at ball security or running the offense. Does it give him an advantage? Yes. Is his experience good enough to deem him as a starter or even a capable enough ball handler? No, not yet. He has been solid, tough runner, but fumble prone in his limited action. Of course we expect him to improve in this area, but it should not be assumed.

- Passing game is live action has not been tested/proven. People seem to take the passing game for granted. Whether the stats show it or not, our passing game demanded much more respect under JT than it did when Tevin was here. Much of it was due to JT's arm strength and ability to hit the comeback routes, wheel routes, etc. Some due to improved WR and AB pass-catching ability. Regardless, the QB has got to be able to get him the ball. MJ could be the best passer of the group or the worst passer of the group for all we know. We will see very quickly-probably in the Tennessee game- that we have to have a capable passer. 3rd and longs will come regardless of how great of a "reader" our QB is. We've got to hit a few. JT was good enough of a passer to punish a cheating defense. WR play a big part too. The bottom line is, until MJ proves he can hurt teams through the air, we should not anoint him the starting job.

- People seem to assume that he will be the best at making reads. I am by no means convinced that this will for sure be the case. He should be ahead of the others, but I am not counting out anyone. A good portion of learning to make reads comes with reps, but another good portion of it is natural processing and decision making ability. Some people learn much more quickly than others.

I too feel that CPJ will heir on the side of safety and start MJ vs UT. I just wouldn't put it at 100%. I will at least wait until we see the others in 2 weeks to even begin assuming MJ is starter.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Three years of running our offense is something most people take for granted. I don't think anyone was beating out MJ
I remember CPJ saying the year after Lee left and Justin took over that he knew he should have probably been playing JT the year Vad was the QB (not sure his exact words). That was JT redshirt freshman year, so it's not crazy to think a guy could get it done, some players are just naturals and we might have one competiting for the QB spot. I agree time matters, but we can't say that's the main reason to start a guy, if a player is getting it done then he's getting it done. CPJ isn't saying it's a competition to just say it's a competition. He clearly stated when asked a question, that the starter at B back is mills and the QB spot is a competition right now.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I remember CPJ saying the year after Lee left and Justin took over that he knew he should have probably been playing JT the year Vad was the QB (not sure his exact words). That was JT redshirt freshman year, so it's not crazy to think a guy could get it done, some players are just naturals and we might have one competiting for the QB spot. I agree time matters, but we can't say that's the main reason to start a guy, if a player is getting it done then he's getting it done. CPJ isn't saying it's a competition to just say it's a competition. He clearly stated when asked a question, that the starter at B back is mills and the QB spot is a competition right now.
He also has a stable of qb's he has to keep motivated. CPJ is not immune to coach speak when it comes to motivating players.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
He also has a stable of qb's he has to keep motivated. CPJ is not immune to coach speak when it comes to motivating players.
I agree with this to an extent. But if you have to say stuff like that to motivate a QB do you really want that guy as your starter? If a guy can't keep himself motivated, that kinda scares me. I could understand if it was just 1 comment and something subtle, but we've heard many statements I feel like. But regardless the best guy will win out and I trust CPJ will have that guy on the field, and whoever it is CPJ picks, is the guy I want on the field.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
First I agree that time in this system is so key as the proper reads and checks outweigh athleticism and skill.

For this reason jordan should win it and will be the favorite to do so.

But. I also agree I dont think its totally solidified. And now that there is chink in the armor if a backup truly steps up and starts separating himself plus has more skill jordan may not be the starter.

Is the qb race over? I dont think it is. Will jordan most likely win out...yes. But imo I wouldn't act like he has won it yet.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this to an extent. But if you have to say stuff like that to motivate a QB do you really want that guy as your starter? If a guy can't keep himself motivated, that kinda scares me. I could understand if it was just 1 comment and something subtle, but we've heard many statements I feel like. But regardless the best guy will win out and I trust CPJ will have that guy on the field, and whoever it is CPJ picks, is the guy I want on the field.
Just because a guy is self motivated doesn't mean his motivation doesn't wax and wane. The best way to kill a guy's motivation is to tell him the spot he's fighting for is locked up by someone else. Bback is different, we have two guys who know they're fighting for the backup spot. They'll get plenty of reps, regardless, and they know it. Furthermore, they know if they show out more than DM, coach will see it and act accordingly. Like I said earlier, coach is loyal to one thing: winning... when it comes to setting the depth chart.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Just because a guy is self motivated doesn't mean his motivation doesn't wax and wain. The best way to kill a guys motivation is to tell him the spot he's fighting for is locked up by someone else. Bback is different, we have two guys who know they're fighting for the backup spot. They'll get plenty of reps regardless and they know it. Furthermore, they know if they show out more than DM, coach will see it and act accordingly. Like I said earlier, coach is loyal to one thing: winning... when it comes to setting the depth chart.

Like I said yesterday, he has apparently never played the game.
Your senior QB left leaving a void. You have a returning BB that split time last year and the guy he split time with is gone.

I was the starting OLB and knew it and coach told me & everyone else everyday my position is a wide open competition.
The 2nd guy never stepped foot on the field.

Coaches from pee wee to college do it, its part of the game and yes it does push guys who are already motivated and hungry.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
First I hate to hear MJ will miss the rest of Spring practice, was looking forward to see him play in the Spring game. I enjoy watching him run the option cutting up field willing to take the hits to pick up 4 or 5 yards to keep the drive going.
Hate to see any of our players get hurt. And yes I understand people wanting to see the other 3 to see how they look. But if I'm going to judge them ( which I'm sure CPJ is not going to ask me) I would like to see all 3 play with the first offense against the first defense in order to compare them.
Remember one thing people talk about getting our timing down and working with the WR's. Even after Spring practice and before Fall practice starts the QB's ,running backs and WR still do work out in the summer.
Lets just get thru the rest of Spring without getting anyone injured.

Lets all be there for the Spring game to show the players and coaches we support them. The way things are going in college football more and more teams are not having Spring games ( which may not be a bad idea) .

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Just because a guy is self motivated doesn't mean his motivation doesn't wax and wane. The best way to kill a guys motivation is to tell him the spot he's fighting for is locked up by someone else. Bback is different, we have two guys who know they're fighting for the backup spot. They'll get plenty of reps regardless and they know it. Furthermore, they know if they show out more than DM, coach will see it and act accordingly. Like I said earlier, coach is loyal to one thing: winning... when it comes to setting the depth chart.
I agree 100 percent about what you said with a guy being self motivated, but that wasn't my point. My point is a guy who is NOT self motivated scares me. If MJ is the true cut starter I just don't see the point in not saying it. I don't see MJ as being a guy that needs to be motivated. So if it's the others that need motivation you can still motivate them by saying MJ is the starter and the others are competing for the 2nd spot. Now, I will say if we had a game tomorrow I believe MJ would start, but I also think because we have 5 more moths CPJ can see the competition is so close and any of the guys could step it up a notch between that 5 months and become the starter and that's why he hasn't named a starter, because he honestly doesn't know who will step up and become the starter 5 months from now. If it was clear cut, imo it would be like what he has said with the B backs. JMO.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I agree 100 percent about what you said with a guy being self motivated, but that wasn't my point. My point is a guy who is NOT self motivated scares me. If MJ is the true cut starter I just don't see the point in not saying it. I don't see MJ as being a guy that needs to be motivated. So if it's the others that need motivation you can still motivate them by saying MJ is the starter and the others are competing for the 2nd spot. Now, I will say if we had a game tomorrow I believe MJ would start, but I also think because we have 5 more moths CPJ can see the competition is so close and any of the guys could step it up a notch between that 5 months and become the starter and that's why he hasn't named a starter, because he honestly doesn't know who will step up and become the starter 5 months from now. If it was clear cut, imo it would be like what he has said with the B backs. JMO.
Maybe it's just me being old, but any player that is not motivated should not be playing college football. I just can't see a player willing to go to Tech as not being motivated they know Tech is not an easy ride.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I love the fact that the non contact jersey is gone. I think that may have hindered JeTs performance.

Nah... But sometimes it's necessary and sometimes it's not. When my roommates played scout team DEF at GSU, Adrian Peterson almost NEVER practiced full contact. Half the time he had a walking boot all week, then went out and ran for 225 that Saturday.

The stories about the scout team DEF from those days were hilarious, BTW. You couldn't NOT hit AP, but if you hit him 1% too hard, CPJ himself might drag you off the practice field by your nutsack.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Nah... But sometimes it's necessary and sometimes it's not. When my roommates played scout team DEF at GSU, Adrian Peterson almost NEVER practiced full contact. Half the time he had a walking boot all week, then went out and ran for 225 that Saturday.

The stories about the scout team DEF from those days were hilarious, BTW. You couldn't NOT hit AP, but if you hit him 1% too hard, CPJ himself might drag you off the practice field by your nutsack.

Same with JeT

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Even after Spring practice and before Fall practice starts the QB's ,running backs and WR still do work out in the summer.
The only time they go full contact, full speed, in full pads, 11 on 11 is in Spring and Fall camp. There is much that can only be effectively repped in this fashion.

Eli

Helluva Engineer

Some players react differently. Not everyone has the same personality. Imagine your boss coming to work and saying. "You never have a chance for a promotion the guy ahead of you is just so much better at the little things." How would you react? I bet you would be looking for a new job