Mark Fox and GT

Deleted member 2897

#kgLovesChaosInAthens

OMG we couldn't have asked for a better update.
1) A high profile rejection.
2) Everyone else will know they weren't the first choice.
3) georgia sucks.

giphy.gif

Lets hope this turns into a long draw out saga.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
And, for anybody preparing to be 'that guy', I think we all get that it's possible this ends up with them backing into a better guy.

That's not the point. The point is, right now, chaos is ensuing in their fanbase and their tears are delicious.

IOW: "Yes Peacone, we know"

Deleted member 2897

Reports are that the offer was for $3.2M/year. That's what he was making years ago at Ohio State. So it could be he asked for a ballpark number before agreeing to go down there, and they gave him and assurance...but the final number they put on paper wasn't worth it. That to me is a shockingly low number - why would a coach with a history of health issues go back to coaching for less money? If he can prove his health is better and if he's ready to get after it, I would think he could demand closer to $3.7M+.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Reports are that the offer was for $3.2M/year. That's what he was making years ago at Ohio State. So it could be he asked for a ballpark number before agreeing to go down there, and they gave him and assurance...but the final number they put on paper wasn't worth it. That to me is a shockingly low number - why would a coach with a history of health issues go back to coaching for less money? If he can prove his health is better and if he's ready to get after it, I would think he could demand closer to $3.7M+.

To be fair though, IIUC that would've put him at the 2nd highest paid coach in the SEC behind only Calipari. That ain't a bad offer.

At his age, and considering his declining health, he would've jumped at $3+mil/per if he was serious which IMHO he wasn't. Again, JMHO.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Memphis has severe delusions of grandeur concerning their men's basketball program:rolleyes:

As I understand it, their plan is to hire Penny Hardaway, who they think can get them back to recruiting at the top level. Penny is currently the AAU coach of the #1 player in the country, James Wiseman, which I am sure plays strongly into Memphis' decision to make the move now.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Penny will recruit really well to Memphis.
How well his staff will coach is yet to be seen.
Penny has 3 Top 40 2019 players on his AAU squad as well as some other Div 1 caliber players

Deleted member 2897

Penny will recruit really well to Memphis.
How well his staff will coach is yet to be seen.
Penny has 3 Top 40 2019 players on his AAU squad as well as some other Div 1 caliber players

Yup. Coaching matters. Just ask teams like Kentucky and UNCheat - 20 losses between them despite having talent that 99% of teams could only dream of.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Yup. Coaching matters. Just ask teams like Kentucky and UNCheat - 20 losses between them despite having talent that 99% of teams could only dream of.

Ehhhhhhhh.......

I do agree coaching matters.
I dont agree with the examples cited.

I do not buy the "Roy Williams is a bad coach" rhetoric. You don't win 3 national titles by being a bad coach. Of UNC's 10 losses, 9 were against tournament teams.

Examples I would cite this year would be Louisville, Wake Forest, UConn, Saint Louis, Alabama where coaching has been a let down.

Deleted member 2897

Ehhhhhhhh.......

I do agree coaching matters.
I dont agree with the examples cited.

I do not buy the "Roy Williams is a bad coach" rhetoric. You don't win 3 national titles by being a bad coach. Of UNC's 10 losses, 9 were against tournament teams.

Examples I would cite this year would be Louisville, Wake Forest, UConn, Saint Louis, Alabama where coaching has been a let down.

Well, UNCheat had 5 players rated 5* on their team last year. This year they have "only" 2 (plus of course numerous other Top 100 players), and 10 losses.

Kentucky has ELEVEN Top 100 players on their roster this year, with NINE 5*s. No that is not a typo, they have 9 5-star players this year, and 10 losses.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

If you had 9 guys who were 5*s on your team and you were the coach, and you did literally nothing, how many games do you think you might lose?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Well, UNCheat had 5 players rated 5* on their team last year. This year they have "only" 2 (plus of course numerous other Top 100 players), and 10 losses.

Kentucky has ELEVEN Top 100 players on their roster this year, with NINE 5*s. No that is not a typo, they have 9 5-star players this year, and 10 losses.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

If you had 9 guys who were 5*s on your team and you were the coach, and you did literally nothing, how many games do you think you might lose?

Vanderbilt, probably the most well rounded of UKs freshman was hurt a lot, oh and they are all frshmen. So you have to expect some growing pains.

UNC is a two seed in the tournament with 10 losses so I’d say the season was a success

I also understand that they are a rival and we are expected to beat on them a little bit but some of the hate should at least make a little sense.