Mark Fox and GT

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Reports out of Athens are that Tom Crean has met with Jonas Hayes about the possibility of keeping him on staff. : (

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Reports out of Athens are that Tom Crean has met with Jonas Hayes about the possibility of keeping him on staff. : (

I don't think Crean is a great coach but you don't have to be even a good coach to know keeping Hayes is JOB 1 for him. Hope he fails :sneaky:

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I think he's a quality coach who will get them to the tournament at a higher percentage than Fox which isn't saying much. He is also likely to get frustrated with the lack of attention and support and want to leave after a few years. Obviously, ugag didn't want to find an up n' coming mid major guy again, even though that's the route I would have gone if I were them. They whiffed on their first name coach and settled for Crean. I don't think his hiring directly impacts our rebuild. They may be a little tougher to beat the next few years than they would have been otherwise.

Deleted member 2897

Crean just comes off so creepy - knowing dwag fans, if he doesn't get good results in the first couple years, they will tire of him quickly.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Not Fox related but...

Either he’s trying to bring the band back together again, or Brian Gregory was leading the search firm for his buddy Crean’s staff. I’m pretty sure AAR was on the same staff BG had during his time with GT.

At least for a while.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He was the Director of Player Development early in Gregory's tenure before leaving for an asst spot at College of Charleston.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Either he’s trying to bring the band back together again, or Brian Gregory was leading the search firm for his buddy Crean’s staff. I’m pretty sure AAR was on the same staff BG had during his time with GT.

At least for a while.

Yep. Was supposed to get us back 'in' on the Wheeler guys IIRC.

Not sure how this is a recipe for success for uGA but whatevs.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yea I guess the idea is to use his status as an alumnus to get the "in" for Wheeler? He was hired as an assistant for 2008 (right after I graduated), but before the season even started he accepted a different offer, so I don't know how that was viewed. I feel like hiring his brother would do more for pulling Wheeler kids than hiring him, but I don't know how much either stayed connected with the Wheeler basketball scene. I feel like if Wheeler keeps putting out the quality it has though, those players are going to keep going to the blue bloods.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
keep in mind that the HC for Wheeler - Doug Lipscomb left the school last year to take some time off and was replaced by former Greenforest Academy coach Larry Thompson. So ties to Wheeler (especially Lipscomb) may not mean quite as much as they used to.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Just in case you woke up this morning and wanted to read some lies ...

None of those statements are true. None.

Is the narrative supposed to be that Dollar couldnt recruit to GT because of academics? Did he have a hand in pulling guys like Okeke, Brown and Harper to Auburn or something? I don't understand the love.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Is the narrative supposed to be that Dollar couldnt recruit to GT because of academics? Did he have a hand in pulling guys like Okeke, Brown and Harper to Auburn or something? I don't understand the love.

When you look on paper, he appears to have a really good resume/track record. He's fooled 3 D1 coaches at this point.