Mark Fox and GT

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Take what ever this hack says with a grain of salt, he has no contacts what so ever.

It's pretty dang funny though at least. Why so serious, StingU? ;)

Anyways, seems Matta's brother is a coach in state and apparently thinks UGA is the greatest school ever ...

http://www.onlineathens.com/sports/...had-matta-meets-with-uga-reportedly-has-offer

“We talked briefly the other day and he had mentioned Georgia and how exciting it is,” said Greg Matta, the coach at North Cobb Christian School. “We know Georgia is one of the greatest schools there is and for me personally having him an hour and a half away, I’d just love it. We could see each other face-to-face instead of on the telephone.”

O' Rly?

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I hope Motta hires his brother as an ***'t coach. that way they can really be close all the time.

Plus a small ulterior motive I have about that.

Deleted member 2897

Just read an article where Fox said if the team wanted to go to the NIT, he would coach them. They asked him to leave the room, made their decision, then invited him back in to say No Thanks.

Ouch.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I was on the Thad Matta would be ok train before we got pastner. Whats wrong with him besides his back?

IIUC, something similar to what happened to Steve Kerr also happened to Matta during back surgery with the leaking spinal fluid or w/e. Only, for Matta it was worse and resulted in ongoing pain and drop foot or stte.

It appears to not hinder his being able to coach necessarily, but I'm sure you can imagine things are tougher for him than before all that happened. It's not just a 'bad back'. There appeared to be a marked drop-off in his recruiting success late in his tenure.

Just read an article where Fox said if the team wanted to go to the NIT, he would coach them. They asked him to leave the room, made their decision, then invited him back in to say No Thanks.

Ouch.

My GT-colored glasses interpreted it that way but I think the reality is as @KeystoneJacket says. They supposedly chose not to play in an effort to show support for FiredFox.

Deleted member 2897

Here is Thad Matta's record as a head coach at Ohio State the last several years:
Wins
2010: 34
2011: 31
2012: 29
2013: 25
2014: 24
2015: 21
2016: 17

He was making over $3 Million a year at Ohio state a few years ago, so my guess in typical uGA fashion is they will take a big risk on a guy and overpay him at the same time. :) . I wouldn't be surprised to see a 6 year deal worth double what Josh Pastner's average rate was...so something in the range of $3.7-$4 Million a year. You know...less than half of a Coach Rat Face. :)

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
You know...less than half of a Coach Rat Face. :)
Wait—so we are measuring coaches’ salaries in RatFaces rather than dollars, now? That’s the new metric?

“This week, Georgia Tech announced that they have revised their contractual obligations, and will be paying P*** H***** 0.56 rat-faces per year not to coach their team, for the next three years.”

;)

Deleted member 2897

We need to make this a thing... Measuring salary in Rat Faces is simply too good. :)

Like most of my accomplishments in life, this one was accidental.

Rat Faces is also very close to Rat Feces I might add.

Rat Face makes about $9 Million per year.

So, Josh Pastner is paid about 0.2 RFs.
Thad Matta might make 0.4 RFs.

slugboy

Staff member
Here is Thad Matta's record as a head coach at Ohio State the last several years:
Wins

He was making over $3 Million a year at Ohio state a few years ago, so my guess in typical uGA fashion is they will take a big risk on a guy and overpay him at the same time. :) . I wouldn't be surprised to see a 6 year deal worth double what Josh Pastner's average rate was...so something in the range of $3.7-$4 Million a year. You know...less than half of a Coach Rat Face. :)

Wow. I’d love to see 34 wins in one year. I’d have taken 17 this year.
Bu I can see the trend line
I’ve seen a couple of articles about Matta’s contract. UGA might need to pay big to comply with the existing terms, or make it worth Matta’s time. He’d also need multi year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Wins

Clearly things went downhill after Mark Titus left

Deleted member 2897

Considering his deal with OhioSt seemingly requires him to actively seek comparable employment in order to keep getting his medical bills paid, he's probably looking over his shoulder at the Buckeye administration and whispering, "Are they buying it?"

I was thinking the same thing – the terrible back pain from flying on an airplane for hours each direction probably reminded him why he quit coaching. And at the same time, he gets credit for “actively looking for employment”. I mean, with healthcare costs covered and that massive buyout, there really is no reason to have to work ever again when you’re fighting long term quality of life health problems.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I was thinking the same thing – the terrible back pain from flying on an airplane for hours each direction probably reminded him why he quit coaching. And at the same time, he gets credit for “actively looking for employment”. I mean, with healthcare costs covered and that massive buyout, there really is no reason to have to work ever again when you’re fighting long term quality of life health problems.

Honestly, that provision is pretty savage considering the OhioSt folks are well aware of his health problem. And it's not like he could just coach high school or some D2 or D3 school. They specifically listed the conferences they'd consider "comparable" such as the ACC, SEC, etc. That's just plain savage.