Marcus Marshall

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Marcus's smaller stature may make the mesh more comfortable for both him and JT. I imagine it would make finding the ball a little bit more difficult as well.

Very excited about this team.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All I know is if a Fr is in the 2 deep for BB either the guy is a phenom or we are really hurting at the position.

We aren't hurting at the position with Marcus Allen setting the bar for MM and Skov to exceed. We've got 8 BBs on the roster and 12 ABs .

I am concerned about his weight since momentum helps a lot. At 200 lbs on the roster ( http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/geot-m-footbl-mtt.html ) he is the lightest BB. But heavy than any AB. So again, he must have the talent......... Can't wait to see MM play in a few weeks.

BTW, is CJ Leggett hurt again? He should be in the top three.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
All I know is if a Fr is in the 2 deep for BB either the guy is a phenom or we are really hurting at the position.

We aren't hurting at the position with Marcus Allen setting the bar for MM and Skov to exceed. We've got 8 BBs on the roster and 12 ABs .

I am concerned about his weight since momentum helps a lot. At 200 lbs on the roster ( http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/geot-m-footbl-mtt.html ) he is the lightest BB. But heavy than any AB. So again, he must have the talent......... Can't wait to see MM play in a few weeks.

CJ is still out from his previous injury. He got hurt in spring practice, and I'm not sure he's a possibility this year.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Here is a similar shorter running back Ohio State freshman Michael Weber. Top 10 running back, high 4 star recruit, Army All American, 247 has him ranked as #78 player in nation

http://www.prepforce.com/video/7292/2015-rb-michael-weber-2014-season-highlight-remix

And here is lowly non-all-american 3 star recruit Marcus Marshall. Ranked the 78th best running back in the nation, #1022 player in the nation

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1702799/marcus-marshall

Weber looks like a great RB and should be a 4 star recruit, but man, he doesn't have Marcus' burst, cutting ability, vision, etc. The recruiting services missed our man and I'm sure glad we have him!
Oh my.... I haven't seen his video until now either like another poster mentioned... Holy **** this guy is good. I thought the video editor was pressing fast forward when MM got in the open field because he was smoking everyone. If we create some of the massive lanes that we created last year we will see some huge plays from him this year.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I think Marshall is going to be a good player but his height is a concern for me. We haven't seen someone of his "smaller size" at that position to date. He just looks like an A-back to me. It's going to be interesting to see him take the pounding this year. I personally like the 6'0 210-230 lbs guys. What do I know about that position ? Nothing compared to CPJ.
I don't think the height will matter as he has a center of gravity closer to the ground, but hopefully he will share snaps with Skov this year and next year maybe he will put on some weight and get closer to 210-220

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think MM's weight will be an issue at all. CPJ has had success with all types of BB bodies. What I see in MM is low center of gravity, one-cut quickness, and short yard burst. An assistant once told me that speed and quickness in those first 10 yards were more important than 40 times, size, etc. This makes me confident in MM's ability to produce at the position. I dare say that even Dwyer's success wasn't due to being an ideal BB size or skill set, but mostly due to his freakish acceleration in the open field.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Marcus's smaller stature may make the mesh more comfortable for both him and JT. I imagine it would make finding the ball a little bit more difficult as well.

I was thinking the other day how little JT looks behind Braun-Burdern-Devine (Joe and Chamberlain are massive as well). It must really, really, really suck being a S or LB trying to see WTF is going on in the backfield.

Hadn't thought about Marcus being hard to see back there too but you are probably right, particularly if a MLB is playing deep as defenses like to play us. The BB lines up so close to the LOS it will be hard to see him after the snap. Can't react to your key if you can't see it.

It's kind of like we have a bunch of massive dudes coming at you behind which little pyranhas are darting around. That said I think Marshall despite his size has some physicality to him, particularly in the way he uses his hands and leverage.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer

I do not think Leggett is cleared medically to play yet.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I've been on the Marcus Marshall hype train for a while now, expected him to be the best from our new crop of RBs. If he's rotating snaps with Skov with the 1's, that's a HUGE sign to me that Paul loves what he sees in the kid. He could be the Dwyer-type back we've been hoping for since 2009.
As an aside, how funny would it be if MM picks up more yards in his first year with us than his 5 star brother gets in his whole career over in Athens? It could be great recruiting fodder for us when Marcus has a much better career than Keith.

Totally agree with your assessment and hope that by the end of his career his brother wishes that he had gone to TECH as well.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Allen and Skov will end up playing the most, though who will end up starting is still up in the air. Marshall is talented, yes, but he is inexperienced, not a prototypical BB, and I think he'll end up at AB, just like Land-Davis will end up at BB. The present situation has been forced by injuries; Allen didn't lose his job until he couldn't play. And Quiade will be back soon too. Too bad CJ got hurt and we couldn't put all this behind us. But all this will be settled on the field. Personally, I'd want Marshall to red-shirt, if at all possible.

Oth, think about the position next year. It'll be the most competitive on the squad. Well, that and who'll end up as the no. 2 QB.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I think Allen and Skov will end up playing the most, though who will end up starting is still up in the air. Marshall is talented, yes, but he is inexperienced, not a prototypical BB, and I think he'll end up at AB, just like Land-Davis will end up at BB. The present situation has been forced by injuries; Allen didn't lose his job until he couldn't play.

I just don't understand this "prototypical BB" stuff. There is NO prototypical BB. Ask CPJ. I don't think MM moves, b/c I think he is that good. And I think he would have moved up regardless of MA being dinged. Also, if MM and MLD are both healthy and eligible, why would coaches have them both at a position where they will not ultimately end up? There is no logic there.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I think Allen and Skov will end up playing the most, though who will end up starting is still up in the air. Marshall is talented, yes, but he is inexperienced, not a prototypical BB, and I think he'll end up at AB, just like Land-Davis will end up at BB. The present situation has been forced by injuries; Allen didn't lose his job until he couldn't play. And Quiade will be back soon too. Too bad CJ got hurt and we couldn't put all this behind us. But all this will be settled on the field. Personally, I'd want Marshall to red-shirt, if at all possible.

Oth, think about the position next year. It'll be the most competitive on the squad. Well, that and who'll end up as the no. 2 QB.
I think if MM is still considered at least tied for 1st string this late in the fall then he'll play a lot. The other guys haven't had a lot of experience at the position either, so if he's the best or one of the 2 best he'll play a lot.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't understand why everyone though Allen was the savior at B-Back. Did he have a nice spring game? Yes. That being said he wasn't even considered for the spot until about a week left in the spring, he was still practicing with the LB's before both Legget and Quaide when down with injury. If Legget and Quaide don't go down he is still buried on the depth chart and OLB. He has maybe a week and a half more experience at the spot than MM and Skov.

I think we can all agree that MM is a much more natural running back than Allen and that Skov is much more physically imposing than Allen.

I say all this not to diminish Allen, but to point out that it should really come as no surprise that he has been overtaken by two other players.