Marcus Marshall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I love both of these RBs. They are different backs, but both are good players. When comparing stats, especially about average yards per carry, or percentage of carries under 3 yards, we have to consider something that has not been mentioned, if we want to view it in a true light. DM has had 10 of his carries (9% of total carries) finish in the EZ. MM has had 3 (3% of his total carries) do the same. When your carry finishes in the end zone it is great for your team, but it is not good for your yards per carry type stats. There is no telling how many yards some of DM's TD runs would have gone for.

Additionally, part of what you have to look at, when determining who deserves to start or who is the "better" player, is how the player affects those around him. Do we pass better with either one of them in pass protect? Does the QB tend to get more rushing yards with either one? The ABs? How many sacks have happened with either one of them on the field? Negative plays? Blocking in general? It all plays a part. Great players get theirs, but they also make everybody else better too.

Animal02

Banned
I love both of these RBs. They are different backs, but both are good players. When comparing stats, especially about average yards per carry, or percentage of carries under 3 yards, we have to consider something that has not been mentioned, if we want to view it in a true light. DM has had 10 of his carries (9% of total carries) finish in the EZ. MM has had 3 (3% of his total carries) do the same. When your carry finishes in the end zone it is great for your team, but it is not good for your yards per carry type stats. There is no telling how many yards some of DM's TD runs would have gone for.

Additionally, part of what you have to look at, when determining who deserves to start or who is the "better" player, is how the player affects those around him. Do we pass better with either one of them in pass protect? Does the QB tend to get more rushing yards with either one? The ABs? How many sacks have happened with either one of them on the field? Negative plays? Blocking in general? It all plays a part. Great players get theirs, but they also make everybody else better too.
Has CPJ ever run the option with two back behind the QB. Seems to me there would not be a lot of changes except not as much motion by A backs. Could imagine lead type played with Mills following MM with the ability of the QB to still run the option will a following A back. I would think the possibility of either of them hitting the inside plus two options to the outside would really be a lot to handle for the D.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Has CPJ ever run the option with two back behind the QB. Seems to me there would not be a lot of changes except not as much motion by A backs. Could imagine lead type played with Mills following MM with the ability of the QB to still run the option will a following A back. I would think the possibility of either of them hitting the inside plus two options to the outside would really be a lot to handle for the D.

He had an "I" formation package at Hawaii, and of course the ill-fated Diamond with Vad:

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Just heard from my buddies on the team. MM is done after this season. Wish i was misinformed, but sadly im not. Really hoping Mills keeps his nose clean this offseason or we're back to square 1 with BB next year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just heard from my buddies on the team. MM is done after this season. Wish i was misinformed, but sadly im not. Really hoping Mills keeps his nose clean this offseason or we're back to square 1 with BB next year.

When you have a lot of talent on the team, or at a certain position group, this is not uncommon. I'd rather him stay at GT as he's a good student and works hard, plus you like to see a guy finish what they started...but it also says GT is also getting more talented.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If true, probably upset at Mills' emergence. It'd be too bad, again, if true (which I maintain hope that it's not). Seeing them work in tandem was a thing of beauty last Saturday. Perhaps CPJ should've sold it as tandem-starters rather than anointing Mills?

IIUC, there are no more hardship waivers and it's doubtful he's close to graduating. Hope he's not transferring to go sit somewhere. At this point, what'd be the point?

Anyways, I hope it's not true.

biojacket06

Georgia Tech Fan
When you have a lot of talent on the team, or at a certain position group, this is not uncommon. I'd rather him stay at GT as he's a good student and works hard, plus you like to see a guy finish what they started...but it also says GT is also getting more talented.

He isn't exactly buried in the depth chart.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't take this as gospel. You have to remember that MM is still pretty young. At that age, my ideas about what I was going to do next changed daily; shoot, sometimes more then that. He could very easily have told some of his teammates that he was going to leave, think about it for a week or so, and decide to come back. He could be doing this to see the coaching staff's reaction. Or he could have been spoofing his friends, not uncommon at his age.

Let's see what happens and let him know that that we want him back. I sure do; he opens all sorts of possibilities for next years team.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Marshall had 9 carries vs Mill's 7 on Saturday. That sounds like co-starter to me. If that ain't good enough, then...

Then again, Chubb had 22 and Michel had 19 as co-starters. Maybe it's just the number of carries?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
MM is really a curious case if he does decide to transfer. Really good student (Academic All-ACC...which is saying something at GT), is a featured back in our offense half the time, our "big play" back at BB, and isn't someone who's had any discipline issues. Not the typical profile of someone that usually transfers out of GT.

May be he feels he doesn't fit this offense ala Vad Lee. Obvious talent to play in this offense, but isn't what he thought it would be when he was recruited. Total speculation by me, but something is just "off" here...just doesn't seem to fit the usual profile of an SA that leaves GT.

I guess we'll wait to see how this plays out. Could be nothing at all. Hope that's the case.

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe the fact that Mills is one failed drug test away from being dismissed from the team will help keep MM around. If he thinks transferring is what's best for him, then whatever. Got to do what you got to do. Next man up.

Status
Not open for further replies.