Marcus Marshall

Status
Not open for further replies.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Dude doesn't want to give up his spot next week. Not sure which was more impressive, his long TD run or his refusal to go down run of 2o yards. It sure is nice to have both Marshall and Mills to trot out there! We should be able to keep fresh legs in there against the mutts which could make all the difference in the 4th qtr.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Dude doesn't want to give up his spot next week. Not sure which was more impressive, his long TD run or his refusal to go down run of 2o yards. It sure is nice to have both Marshall and Mills to trot out there! We should be able to keep fresh legs in there against the mutts which could make all the difference in the 4th qtr.
I feel CPJ will start and should start MM next week. Not sure mills will even play. IMO not sure Mills we be here next year ( I have no inside info just a guess)

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I get it, I really do, he's fast, and he can make big plays, but MAN sometimes he doesn't just take the yards the offense gives him. Specifically, he had a first down in an important spot at midfield if he'd have just done what Mills would have done, and put his head down and taken it to the outside (as awful as the announcer was, he said the same thing). Instead he tried to cut back and make a big play and lost 3.

And, like boomer said, he doesn't block much.

TBH, I still like Mills as the starter, and MM as the change of pace, even as productive as he's been the past couple weeks.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Marshall is deffenitly a home run threat, but let's be honest mills could have scored on some of those big plays by Marshall during this season. The one today he went untouched, and mills could have possible scored (not 100% sure because of speed) but the same thing with the run against VT. I wouldn't mind seeing them split carries though and if one gets the hot hand keep rolling with him.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Marshall is deffenitly a home run threat, but let's be honest mills could have scored on some of those big plays by Marshall during this season. The one today he went untouched, and mills could have possible scored (not 100% sure because of speed) but the same thing with the run against VT. I wouldn't mind seeing them split carries though and if one gets the hot hand keep rolling with him.

Watch out, you are beginning to sound like me for the QB spot.

BTW, I agree with option above. Play both. Who starts is more political than anything else. If Mills is better, CPJ may be pissy about whatever got Mills suspended and not start him. But Mills will play if ready. UGAg is way to big of game.

Watch out, you are beginning to sound like me for the QB spot.

BTW, I agree with option above. Play both. Who starts is more political than anything else. If Mills is better, CPJ may be pissy about whatever got Mills suspended and not start him. But Mills will play if ready. UGAg is way to big of game.
CPJ wasn't "pissy" about Mills' summer suspension (strike 1) nor his earlier in-season suspension (no strike), so I doubt he will be any different this time. It's up to Mills to show that he deserves such fair treatment, if he gets it, and stay out of trouble for the rest of his time at Tech, which I HOPE is 3 more years.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
MM can run with the bell. Got the big play and several carries where he bulled ahead for tough yards. His blocking sucked again though. Mills starts until MM blocks better.

Milwaukee

Banned
I get it, I really do, he's fast, and he can make big plays, but MAN sometimes he doesn't just take the yards the offense gives him. Specifically, he had a first down in an important spot at midfield if he'd have just done what Mills would have done, and put his head down and taken it to the outside (as awful as the announcer was, he said the same thing). Instead he tried to cut back and make a big play and lost 3.

And, like boomer said, he doesn't block much.

TBH, I still like Mills as the starter, and MM as the change of pace, even as productive as he's been the past couple weeks.

This is the Loch Ness monster when it comes to Marshall and I don't get it. MM lowers his head when he needs to lower his head, he did it several times yesterday and all year.

On the play where Takeo Spikes said "I would have kept it outside" there was nothing there. Even with MM's speed he knew he couldn't make the edge so he lowered his head and got the yard or 2 that he could. He would not have made the edge.

MM should never leave the field.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you were coaching the team, you would definitely have to enter the week's practice with MM as the starter and force DM to have to rip it away from him to get back on the field in that capacity. Never reward bad behavior, but you have to do what is best for the entire team too. That is always the metric. DM was out. MM played well for the most part. MM is the starter until proven otherwise. With that said, DM deserves a legit shot in practice to earn it back too. There should never be foregone conclusions. We all know both will play regardless, but it does matter who the starter is.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
If you were coaching the team, you would definitely have to enter the week's practice with MM as the starter and force DM to have to rip it away from him to get back on the field in that capacity. Never reward bad behavior, but you have to do what is best for the entire team too. That is always the metric. DM was out. MM played well for the most part. MM is the starter until proven otherwise. With that said, DM deserves a legit shot in practice to earn it back too. There should never be foregone conclusions. We all know both will play regardless, but it does matter who the starter is.
This is just a question not directed at you or anyone. You always hear a player can win the job at practice. Which before the season I can understand this statement. But this late in the season ( With see any practices) do we do that much live hitting at practice ?

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
I just don't see Mills's blocking as that much better than MM. In fact I've seen him miss more blocks than MM. Also MM has better vision. DM has more power but sometimes he looks for contact when more yards could be gained by making a cut and running to space. I think DM is great, but MM has been the much more productive BBack. DM has gotten more opportunities (27 more carries) and only rushed for 9 more yards. Plus he has coughed it up more as well. DM is really good and has great potential, but to me it's not even close. MM should start and get the bulk of the carries.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is just a question not directed at you or anyone. You always hear a player can win the job at practice. Which before the season I can understand this statement. But this late in the season ( With see any practices) do we do that much live hitting at practice ?
You are right, not much. Tuesday and Wednesday are the normal heavy days for practice during the season and even then much of it depends on the physical state of the team how much hitting you do. This is why it is tough to win a job back.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I just don't see Mills's blocking as that much better than MM. In fact I've seen him miss more blocks than MM. Also MM has better vision. DM has more power but sometimes he looks for contact when more yards could be gained by making a cut and running to space. I think DM is great, but MM has been the much more productive BBack. DM has gotten more opportunities (27 more carries) and only rushed for 9 more yards. Plus he has coughed it up more as well. DM is really good and has great potential, but to me it's not even close. MM should start and get the bulk of the carries.
There is stuff to like and dislike about both guys. At times, I feel like MM doesn't run to the situation, if you know what I mean. He may dance a little too much when 3 yards are needed to get to the sticks. I love his explosiveness. I just want him to block better and be more situationally aware. DM IMHO has blocked better, although he can still grow in this area. He gets it going north and south a little better than MM and always gets the last couple tough yards. This has value too. I think DM could be explosive, but he hasn't proven so like MM. For me it comes down to what you need at a certain point in the game. If we are playing with a lead and want to control clock, go with DM. If we are behind and need big plays, go with MM.

The best part is, I am comfortable with either of them starting and that is a good place to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.