March Madness Group

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
By transitive property of taking NC State to OT before losing by 1 on a crazy shot, I declare we're a Top 3rd SEC team.

GT22

Georgia Tech Fan
living in North Carolina, I am thankful that UNC won last night, or else I might be the only one here at work today

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
living in North Carolina, I am thankful that UNC won last night, or else I might be the only one here at work today
Yes, it was a weird day here in NC.

My NC State neighbor watched the game in my den last night. He was on an emotional roller coaster. I am sure he had a glass of something stronger than iced tea before he went to bed. My UNC neighbor in the other direction might have lobbied for Roy Williams dismissal if Harvard had hung on. Both are pulling for Duke to lose today. I love it when State and Carolina fans can agree about something!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Johnny Jones is Paul Hewitt reincarnated. If he doesn't have solid assts he can't coach worth a lick. His teams are painful to watch play as there is no purpose at all - jus put talent on the floor and hope to out talent people. I thought Baylor was awful against GA ST (20+ TO - alot of them unforced), but LSU down the stretch was worst. It wasn't like NCSU was playing well - they hit like 3 of their last 11 shots (and couldn't buy anything outside of 5 ft) but LSU goes 0-12 from the field at the end of the game and 0-6 from the FT line. Heck that's worse than GT and they have so much more talent. If they hit literally 10% of their shots or 33% of their FT down the stretch they win.

Was really rooting for Wofford - so close.ARK got a couple of favorable whistles down the stretch in that game.
5 one-point games yesterday is a record for the Tournament. It was a fantastic day of basketball.

UNC, NCSU and ND all really scraped by yesterday. PAC12, ACC and BE won all their games yesterday, will be interesting to see if that continues today.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For all the love Shaka gets, he really hasn't done alot since the Final Four. That in itself is a great story for those that don't remember. That team wasn't even watching the Selection Show because they were not expected to get a bid, then got one and made the Final Four. But since then VCU has lost 2nd round twice and first round twice. He's also never finished first in his conference (though he has finished 2nd 3 times).

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
For all the love Shaka gets, he really hasn't done alot since the Final Four. That in itself is a great story for those that don't remember. That team wasn't even watching the Selection Show because they were not expected to get a bid, then got one and made the Final Four. But since then VCU has lost 2nd round twice and first round twice. He's also never finished first in his conference (though he has finished 2nd 3 times).
Of course, I'll defend Shaka this year. Started out the clear cut top team in the A-10 and were on their way until they lose the nation's best defensive player.

It took a while to adjust and they take their lumps at season's end to finish ultimately fifth in the league in call it the last 1.5 wks of the season in a pretty close race at the top. They then go in to the A-10 tourney, start on Thursday compared to their 3 subsequent opponents, and beat Richmond, Davidson, & Dayton, all of which beat them in the period leading up to the A-10 tourney and win the tournament trophy. This was done with 1 star senior, 1 senior not getting off the bench, and 1 offensive minded junior that can be inconsistent (killed it vs. Richmond though). Everyone else are Sophs & FR that began adjusting to new roles mid-season.

They should've won yesterday, but they didn't have those 1-2 possessions to tough it out against a highly talented Buckeye team that includes the best guard in the nation.

Also, I'd point out that Shaka is still learning as a coach. He's got a couple of offensive minded kids coming back, but he recognized a lack of depth there, went out and he beat UConn & South Carolina for Tevin Mack (kid we had interest in, but were never even in the game) who scores in buckets and beat UNC & Georgetown for Kenny Williams to rain threes. Also, while I think he'll always have some level of pressure defense, havoc is more of a mindset to create havoc defensively, not just press. I think he'll adjust his defensive schemes to fit his talent (Did this in the A10 championship game against Dayton).

It's a marathon, not a sprint and until one of the jobs on his list opens up and he wants to take it, he'll stay in his lab down in Richmond, with his higher ranked talent, upcoming $25MM practice facility, and overall better program than ours is right now perfecting his craft.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Thanks for chiming in @dtm1997. I'm not as high on Smart as I used to be because I'm starting to think they're a one-trick pony. If they're not scoring off the press they seem to struggle to score. However, that may be a reflection of what you said which is that he's still learning as a coach. He appears to be bringing in more offensively-skilled guys which may be him addressing my (admittedly under-informed) observations.

Now, as our Virginia-area expert, what's your assessment of Mooney and his lifetime contract? :ROFLMAO: Congrats, Richmond.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks for chiming in @dtm1997. I'm not as high on Smart as I used to be because I'm starting to think they're a one-trick pony. If they're not scoring off the press they seem to struggle to score. However, that may be a reflection of what you said which is that he's still learning as a coach. He appears to be bringing in more offensively-skilled guys which may be him addressing my (admittedly under-informed) observations.

Now, as our Virginia-area expert, what's your assessment of Mooney and his lifetime contract? :ROFLMAO: Congrats, Richmond.
Also a young coach, but I have no problem with Chris Mooney living out his days in Richmond.

At this point, Shaka has things humming. They saw success under Capel & Grant, but whether he's advanced regularly or not, Shaka's got VCU consistently dancing and recruiting at a high level. Next step is start advancing regularly as they further become the Gonzaga of the East. It's a position we'd like to be in.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A couple of other fun facts. So far in this tournament there have been 6 one-pt games. The record for most in a tournament is 7.

9 games were decided by 5 pts or less yesterday - that ties the tournament record. 11 games were decided by 10 pts or less, also tying a record. Yesterday was a historically good day for college basketball fans. Which to me means today will probably be very boring. Hard to see that replicated 2 days in a row.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Shaka is a very good coach. He will have to become a stronger offensive coach, or have a good asst there to succeed at a similar same level at a P5 school. He may actually be at the best place for him.

He recruits better than anyone in the A10. Not even close. As far as a game day coach I wouldn't rank him in my top 3 in that conference - where Mckillop would be my #1 gameday coach. The job he did at Davidson this year was masterful - moving up from the Southern, with a team picked to finish 12th and going to the NCAA.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
A couple of other fun facts. So far in this tournament there have been 6 one-pt games. The record for most in a tournament is 7.

9 games were decided by 5 pts or less yesterday - that ties the tournament record. 11 games were decided by 10 pts or less, also tying a record. Yesterday was a historically good day for college basketball fans. Which to me means today will probably be very boring. Hard to see that replicated 2 days in a row.
Agree. But there's potential in today's schedule.