March Madness Group

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

AND

"You know, it's amazing that we were in that game where they practically fouled out my team," Calipari said. "Amazing that we had a chance."

:shifty:

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
UNC has a big time talent edge going into this game, but Roy has been less than impressive going against teams that know how to play defense. The Zags know defense. My guess (hope) is that one of Roy's 6 or 7 future NBA players will make him look like a good coach come Monday evening.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
UNC has a big time talent edge going into this game, but Roy has been less than impressive going against teams that know how to play defense. The Zags know defense. My guess (hope) is that one of Roy's 6 or 7 future NBA players will make him look like a good coach come Monday evening.

This is an interesting take. Most people who follow the NBA draft only project one UNC player as a first rounder, Justin Jackson, and he is a junior who improved greatly while playing in college. The most likely one and done in the game is Zach Collins for Gonzaga.

Both teams have a lot of borderline NBA players, which translates to really good college players. UNC hasn't been able to get the true top talent with the possible probation hanging around the last few years.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
This is an interesting take. Most people who follow the NBA draft only project one UNC player as a first rounder, Justin Jackson, and he is a junior who improved greatly while playing in college. The most likely one and done in the game is Zach Collins for Gonzaga.

Both teams have a lot of borderline NBA players, which translates to really good college players. UNC hasn't been able to get the true top talent with the possible probation hanging around the last few years.

Not getting the one and dones might have been a blessing for UNC. The sweet spot appears to be high 4 star / low 5 star players that stay 3-4 years

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Not getting the one and dones might have been a blessing for UNC. The sweet spot appears to be high 4 star / low 5 star players that stay 3-4 years

While you may well be right, it has been a really sore spot for Roy for several years now - especially as K has been getting a ton of high profile recruits. Roy has been quoted multiple times that the cloud over UNC has affected his ability to land the one and dones despite his best efforts. Part as a response to criticism and comparison to K, part is reality. The biggest example of this was Brandon Ingram who came from Kinston HS who has sent a steady and uninterrupted stream of players to UNC. It was as much a UNC lock as Wheeler has been a GT no fly zone. Ingram went to Duke and said the cloud/potential sanctions were a large part of the reason.

I am not shedding tears for Roy in any way but composition of this team is 3-4 year players more by circumstance than by design.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
For one thing Roy should quit bitching because he's been to 2 straight Championship games with the recruits he is getting. Also, wouldn't it make more sense for one and dones to go to UNC because they can jump ship if something does happen instead of a 3-4 year player.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Nobody wants to block out anymore. Well unc says thank you Bell & Oregon.

Sad part for Oregon is Bell had 16 rebounds for the game - most on the court. And was the major reason Oregon had the same number of rebounds as UNC did. Most thought UNC would outrebound them significantly and Oregon would win if they could just keep it close. He did that almost single handedly. Those 2 at the end were not his best effort. For some unknown reason he treated them like middle of the game free throws. Similar situation Gonzaga had USC players in the free throw circle.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
For one thing Roy should quit bitching because he's been to 2 straight Championship games with the recruits he is getting. Also, wouldn't it make more sense for one and dones to go to UNC because they can jump ship if something does happen instead of a 3-4 year player.

Their concern is they decide to go there and then the NCAA hands down a decision when they are stuck there for their one year.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Still having bad visions after seeing Teddie V work a Final 4 game. Haven't figured out exactly what that means about NCAA officiating.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Yea, watching both teams I don't see a big-time talent edge to UNC
  • Only at SG is it clear to UNC. Edge goes to Jackson, but the Zags' Matthews is still a good player.
  • Karnowski and Collins can play with Meeks and Hicks.
  • Williams-Goss and Perkins can play with Berry and Britt.
  • Williams can play with Pinson.

Gonzaga has plenty of talent to win this one. I like Few's ability to play to match-ups, way moreso than Roy Williams.

UNC is favored by 1.5. I'll take the Zags in this match-up (as will my bracket).