March Madness Group

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Duke did not have a really good PG this year and not a quick team. They live and die by 3 point shot which was not falling last night. They didn't get their usual help from the refs last night either. It was a home game for SC and the refs played to the crowd per usual. Lots of bad officiating this year. ACC refs hurt our teams in the tournament because the games are called differently. Less touch fouls called and more contact allowed. Hurts teams like Duke who count on going to the line a lot and getting other team in foul trouble. Will be interesting to see who leaves early for them. Giles is not ready but Tatum could go. He can play.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
URI got screwed twice. They should have had a charge and got called for a block then they get called for a charge at the other end that was clearly a block. 4 point swing that lost them the game.

I still think the UNC play was a block. A no call there is ridiculous though. There's at least something.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
2 fairly interesting points from Coach Sam Mitchell this morning on NBARadio re. 8 of 9 ACC teams being out already.

When asked, "Did we overrate these ACC teams?" Coach said STTE: "No, we didn't overrate them. What we're seeing is one aspect of AAU that is a positive. IOW, these kids are no longer in awe of the jersey 'cause they've been playing these kids (Duke, Lville, etc. kids) since HS."

Of course, this isn't a new concept but it's still somewhat valid IMHO. He also said, when he was in college, he would've been totally shook to play a p5 school because they rarely even played out of state at the HS level.

His second point was in reference to 1-and-done kids. Said incorporating them into a 'team' with multi-year players is a delicate process since the multi-yeat guys will always question their commitment. "Are you just playing not to get hurt?"

Just interesting stuff to share.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I'll agree with the playing to not get hurt. There's just no physicality to some of these teams. Most the teams still in it are teams filled with old dudes going all out.

I'm all aboard the Purdue train for this tournament now. Swanigan is a man among boys.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I'll agree with the playing to not get hurt. There's just no physicality to some of these teams. Most the teams still in it are teams filled with old dudes going all out.

I'm all aboard the Purdue train for this tournament now. Swanigan is a man among boys.

Thanks George. Sorry Boilers. That's the @jeffgt14 kiss of death. Hopefully Swanigan's knees are at least partially in tact after this one.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
For bracket at work I have Kansas, ucla , zona & duke. I think I have enough of a lead in this upset bracket that as long as butler beats unc, ore beats mich & ucla beats Kentucky the $80 is mine.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Lonzo Ball’s father evidently claimed that he could have taken Michael Jordan “back in the day”. I did not hear him say it, but it was widely reported and Charles Barkley took exception on one of the halftime shows this weekend. Barkley pointed out that the elder Ball averaged 2 points per game in his college career – – and that was 2 points per game more than a dead man. You gotta love Sir Charles…

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Something to keep in mind when we see the UNC's of the world go unpunished for literally decades of academic fraud, the NCAA tournament is overwhelmingly the cash cow of the NCAA. They get no money from college football, it's all from this month/this tournament.

Stu Jackson (IIUC he's not Dpty. Comm. of the Big East) was on NBARadio and was asked about gambling revenue and is it something the NCAA would be looking into recouping or w/e. He said no, but also mentioned that something like 90% of the NCAA's revenue is realized in this month alone. It's "staggering" is how he described it. Also called it a bad model (which I'm sure most agree).

Anyway, I always say that when people are confused about the NCAA's reluctance to punish KY, UNC, etc. but I wasn't ever aware of the actual numbers behind it. I dunno, maybe it doesn't get other folks' attention but dayum that's crazy.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Can someone explain what just happened? I saw the ball bounce in bounds, Nathan Adrien touch it and it bounced OOBs. The. WVU gets the ball and no one is surprised

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
The refs handed that game to Gonzaga. WVU got fouled several times in last the minutes but no whistles.

Adrien gets pushed from behind by a guy not making a legitimate basketball play. Jamie Luckie calls it out of bounds to Gonzaga when the ball and man never went out. No foul on Gonzaga. If it was Seton Hall, it was a flagrant 1. Same exact situation, a shove from behind with no play on the ball.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
The last sequence by WVU with Carter was probably the dumbest play I've seen all year. I've never seen a player ball-hog for such an extended period of time in such a crucial moment. Sooooooo f'n dumb.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The last sequence by WVU with Carter was probably the dumbest play I've seen all year. I've never seen a player ball-hog for such an extended period of time in such a crucial moment. Sooooooo f'n dumb.

I don't see a possibility in which Pastner wouldn't have dropped dead on the spot from a brain aneurysm if this had happened to us, given what he preaches about moving the ball, open man/go to man.