Louisville Postgame

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
Somebody up thread disparagingly said we are maybe a top 50 team. Well, 2 years ago we were about 130th. Don’t even try to argue that we weren’t. Perspective.
Agree. People are acting like we should be a 10 win team every year. Louisville is a solid team with a good coach. The sky isn't falling. Now, if we lose to Duke off a bye, that's another story

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
Didn’t watch today because I had to drive out of state. As cliché as it is, these kids have played 5 games in less than a month and their bodies have to be taxed. Good time to heal up, do some in-depth film study, and come back fired up to reel off some wins.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually disagree. Overall we looked like the better team. But our staff made some pretty bad calls in key situations that lost the game.
Can you elaborate on exactly what you think were the bad calls in key situations that lost the game?

Btw, I agree that we looked better than the score indicated.

gorcone

Georgia Tech Fan
So my two cents worth is that we lost on stupid plays. A receiver becomes ineligible because of how he lines up. Come on - they should know the rules. These are players at the Georgia Institute of Technology. The coaches need to take all the players to task to be aware of game situations and avoid rules infractions.

We should have won going away.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Great effort. 2 busted plays the difference. (Fumble TD, blocked FG.) We have a good football team. Dominated time of possession in 2nd half. Could have / should have won.
It was more than two busted plays.
You got to be able to convert fourth and a football. We didn't. Twice.
Of course, we dominated ToP. That's what happens when you give up bombs and get kicks blocked for TD returns.
Could have won?
Yes.
Should have won?
Probably not.
This team really isn't that good. Defense is still very questionable. And the offense didn't get it done when it needed to.
We got the outcome we deserved. Louisville didn't do the kinds of things that teams do when they wind up being their own worst enemy. We did. And that falls on coaching to a large extent.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
So my two cents worth is that we lost on stupid plays. A receiver becomes ineligible because of how he lines up. Come on - they should know the rules. These are players at the Georgia Institute of Technology. The coaches need to take all the players to task to be aware of game situations and avoid rules infractions.

We should have won going away.
Gold Colored glasses or drinking gold colored whiskey.

Louisville was the better team today.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Bad game, but I don’t really understand all the hate towards Key for supposedly bad coaching decisions. You could nit pick a few things like calling the timeout before the blocked field goal, but coaching decisions had nothing to do with giving up a blocked field goal return for a TD or fumbling a lateral into the end zone for a TD. Those were bad plays by the players that literally resulted in 14 free points for the other team and had nothing to do with in game coaching decisions. Some of y’all can’t see the forest for the trees.

If you want to critique coaching then offensive play calling is the place to focus, and that’s on Buster, although ultimately I guess it’s on Key by extension.

Then there is our defensive secondary, which was a leaky sieve just like it’s been in every game this season. It’s the weakest position group on the team if you ask me. They can’t cover to save their lives and today they couldn’t make an open field tackle to save their lives either.
Kicking the field goal at all was extremely questionable. Taking a field goal on 4th and 1 and then going for it on 4th and 3 is strange to say the least. Even aside from some of those things, I don't understand our clock management. At the end of the first half we got the ball with 1:56 on the clock. By third down there was 1:03 left on the clock. We burned another 30 seconds on the next few plays leaving us with 32 seconds left before the half and we hadn't crossed mid field. King and Singleton bailed us out on a long completion but that was straight up awful 2 minute execution. Fast forward to the second half, they get the field goal block and TD. We are down 12 with 7 minutes left. Our guys are just taking their sweet time on every play. Even if we score on that drive, they only need 1-2 first downs to ice the game. Then the game ends with a running into the kicker penalty. We don't look like a well coached team in general.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
Still scratching my head on 3 up the middle run plays, down by 2 TDs and inside 5 min (we were at 4 min left for the 3rd play).
Can someone please explain why CBF might have called these? Like what was the logic? What was his rationale?

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Weirdly we might need to inverse last year. We started the year as a passing team then after getting demolished by BG, we started to find our rhythm as a running team. This year we’ve tried to be a running team but it’s just not working. We have the talent on the outside, at TE, and at RB to be a wide open passing team, but we keep going back to the well with the zone running and we aren’t very good at it yet.

I won’t comment on Busters playcalling because it’s easy in hindsight when it doesn’t work. But one thing I don’t like is calling kings number after long runs. He rips off a 15 yarder around the edge then we run a draw up the gut for 1 and he takes shots. He’s a great runner and the best weapon we have with this OL, but pick your spots for his sake. Not only his body but late in the game his throws started to lose zip too.

Im not as down on the team as some. I think we can still make some noise, and I did see some improvement on defense. We started last year 2-3 with a blowout home loss to BG before the Miami miracle, then lost to BC, then went on to play some good football. We have three teams in ND, Miami, and Uga that we will be big dogs to, but the other 4 are very comparable to us. We win 3 of 4 of those and steal one of the other 3 and we have a successful season in my mind.
This bye week comes at a good time for us, to heal and self scout a bit. I hope we come out like our hair is on fire against Duke.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
The coaching was horrible today. Offensively continually trying to run the ball up the middle with the box stacked. Throw the damn ball. So many short and a yard downs. Place Pyron under center and sneak the ball. Kicking the FG with less than a yard to go and then running the ball up the middle again with the fourth and three. Kicking a 49 yard FG from the right hash knowing our kicker won’t hit it only to be blocked for a TD and not to mention taking a timeout for that result. Then on the last series running the ball up the middle three times while running precious clock only to the give the ball back after not getting the fourth down. This game is on Key and Faulkner.

Last edited:

Sugar3ThousandPounds

Georgia Tech Fan
Was in the stands today, agree with a lot of the posters here that offensive playcalling was the main issue, particularly with being too predictable running on 1st down, and head scratching red zone calls.

The 3rd and 4th down and goal calls in the beginning of the 4th were particularly maddening. 2 plays from the 6 and 3 and the best you can draw up is back-to-back QB draws up the gut? I get King is a good runner and can lower his shoulder to get some yards, but would’ve loved to see us spread things out with an RPO on at least one of those.

All in all, I think the FSU game gave the coaching staff the false impression that we could just impose our will in the ground game against just about anyone. That may work against the VMI, GaSt, and maybe Duke and UNCs of the world, but Syracuse was fool me once shame on you, and this is fool me twice shame on me. Time to let Haynes King loose, if we run 65 plays, he should be throwing it in 40 of those