Louisville Postgame

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I like our coaches and don't want any to be fired. The defensive coordinator is making progress. CBF calls a pretty good game until short yardage. Is the conservatism in short yardage downs due to the influence of CBK or just a style? Whatever, open it up guys.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
If we don't have some of those bunch of "analysts" on staff ALREADY doing SELF-scouting then something is fundamentally wrong with the program. -which may be the case
What they're missing is someone to tell them not to run bad plays. If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times. Run the bad plays after the game is out of reach. Only the good plays should be run until we get a sizable lead, then it's ok to scatter in a few crap plays as a learning moment for the 2nd or 3rd stringers.

cpf2001

Helluva Engineer
Ha Ha . Lot's of great coaches here. You all should apply to Batt. I'm sure you would make flawless decisions and play calls. Look at all your experience 2nd guessing . LOL .
Many of us were first-guessing a lot of the failed third and fourth down plays.

More importantly: so was the Louisville D. And the Cuse D.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Things are never as good or as bad as they seem ... CPJ

Trust that key will make the right adjustments during the bye.

I think one thing is clear, we still have a ways to go to correct the rottenness from TFG. We are on the right path, either way . Both coaches and players have a lot to improve on
That assumes Key understands the right adjustments that need to be made.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Can you elaborate on exactly what you think were the bad calls in key situations that lost the game?

Btw, I agree that we looked better than the score indicated.
For the HC our fourth down strategy sticks out. After the long pass to Singleton (which King under threw again) we went for it on fourth and one instead of kicking. Then we get 4th and 1/2 yard and we don’t go for it. I felt it was critical to get a TD right there. Now I’m not sure what the delay of game was as I was watching from a bar without sound. It seemed like it was just to give the kicker more room, but if this was a player screwing up then I guess this feedback isn’t warranted.

But then later we go on 4th and 3 in what felt like a hopeless situation. Louisville bailed us out with the safety so we had an immediate chance.

My biggest gripe is that we seem very predictable on 2nd/3rd and short to the point where teams are run blitzing and hitting us in the backfield. Same thing happened against GSU and Syracuse. We don’t seem to be adjusting well.

Not coaching - but our kicker is having a horrible year so far. He’s become a liability.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The D actually played pretty well. Even with our short yardage plays getting blown up I think if King hadn’t made that bone headed throw and Birr makes the first FG we win this game. Our margin for error is razor thin and when we make mistakes like this it’s hard to overcome.

Was the blocked field goal a whiffed block or did Birr kick it really low? I mean what a game ender that was. Even if he misses we could get a stop and have a chance.

Re: the throw - I thought it was backward live and initially on the replay. But I’m struggling to understand how a player upfield can tip a ball that’s thrown backward. Though I don’t care enough to go watch it again.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
The D actually played pretty well. Even with our short yardage plays getting blown up I think if King hadn’t made that bone headed throw and Birr makes the first FG we win this game. Our margin for error is razor thin and when we make mistakes like this it’s hard to overcome.

Was the blocked field goal a whiffed block or did Birr kick it really low? I mean what a game ender that was. Even if he misses we could get a stop and have a chance.

Re: the throw - I thought it was backward live and initially on the replay. But I’m struggling to understand how a player upfield can tip a ball that’s thrown backward. Though I don’t care enough to go watch it again.
On the blocked FG it was a very high snap that caused the holder to have a problem getting the ball placed RAND that threw the timing for Birr off.

The “backwards pass” simply means it was not a “firward” pass. King was running forward and the receiver was a yard or two behind him. The defender had penetrated into the backfield. Once it was called a fumble and not a pass on the field the video reviews were not going to change the call. Just a dumb play by King.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We had more first downs, more total yards, more rushing and passing yards, and more TOP.

Two TOs cost us 14 points and we lose by 12.
Fair catching a punt on the 5 and running into the kicker is strange.
Defense did two miracles and then this.
Soul crushing defeat

Last edited:

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
On the blocked FG it was a very high snap that caused the holder to have a problem getting the ball placed RAND that threw the timing for Birr off.

The “backwards pass” simply means it was not a “firward” pass. King was running forward and the receiver was a yard or two behind him. The defender had penetrated into the backfield. Once it was called a fumble and not a pass on the field the video reviews were not going to change the call. Just a dumb play by King.
Yeah i know what backward passes are. My point was that it was tipped by a player that was in front of King. So how could he have been throwing it backwards? I know where the receiver was, but I think he was throwing it to the open space upfield in front of him.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
Question - how did the shotgun work for CPJ? Oh right we didn't run it. Point being that was not part of his offense and he ran every play under center. Therefore it was natural to run!

It takes lots of practice to run plays from under center. Unless we are willing to dedicate lots of practice time to taking snaps under center there is no point in running it in a game. It is clear that s not part of GT's offense.

That is the Myth part - oh just go under center and run a play. That won't work worth a darn unless the team is willing to commit time to practice it!
I’m sorry, but under center snaps is football 101. If we have to devote practice time for this, we’ve got bigger problems. Practicing 2 minute drills and goal line sets is fine, but these dudes have been playing ball for a long time… get under center, snap the ball, and get a yard.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Key’s issue is he trusts his OL way too much. He’s miles ahead of TFG but he’s got a lot of improvement to make.
I still think we can get 6-7 wins out of this season.
6-7 wins is definitely doable. We should score as much as we want on Carolina and we should be able to beat Duke. That puts us at 5-2. If we can’t get one more win then we are just a bad football team.

What frustrates me is that we appear to have regressed quite a bit on offense from last year despite returning virtually everyone. It happens, but that was supposed to be our strength. Now maybe the way our year ended has painted a much rosier picture of what our offense truly was. But I feel if we had this D last year we would have won a couple more games.

We could still improve - there are a lot of games left. UNC, Duke, VT, NC State are all winnable games. ND is tough, but they already have a loss that shows they can be beat by a team like us. uGA got pushed around by Kentucky last week. Miami looks good.

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
6-7 wins is definitely doable. We should score as much as we want on Carolina and we should be able to beat Duke. That puts us at 5-2. If we can’t get one more win then we are just a bad football team.

What frustrates me is that we appear to have regressed quite a bit on offense from last year despite returning virtually everyone. It happens, but that was supposed to be our strength. Now maybe the way our year ended has painted a much rosier picture of what our offense truly was. But I feel if we had this D last year we would have won a couple more games.

We could still improve - there are a lot of games left. UNC, Duke, VT, NC State are all winnable games. ND is tough, but they already have a loss that shows they can be beat by a team like us. uGA got pushed around by Kentucky last week. Miami looks good.
Agree. I think we have 4 more winnable games and then Tech being Tech, we win 1 of the 3 we shouldn’t against either Miami, ND, or Uga.