Louisville Postgame

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I think the Irish will win handily. Much like Syracuse, Louisville is a team that has a good quarterback, good receivers, good line and a pretty good defense but they have not played a team with more talent. I don't think they will be able to handle the spotlight.
Not even remotely. Louisville will 100% be in that game. As much as I still think we should've been able to block them, that D line is legit and they are a very well coached team. I'm guessing a +5.5-ish line and I think they'll cover.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I won't argue that right now we are an average team, but you got to admit average is better than the last 5 years. What you want to see is more improvement the rest of the year.
Yes the running game was bad today but so was Louisville running game. The coaching didn't much to go on watching the 2 games Louisville played this year. From this period scouting the teams we play will be better cause they will have played better teams.
As for turnovers being low first our defense staff wanting to make sure we learned to tackle better not try and rip the ball out and not get it and see the other player go untouched for a TD. First teach tackling then work on turn overs.
Special teams were bad
As far as being physical not sure I would say that they didn't block any better than us. (If that is what you are calling physical)

The Bad we lost, the good now we have 7 more games, and we have 3 byes the rest of the season.
Special teams are definitely bad. I don't think anyone can argue that. A giant liability and a large reason for both losses as well

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I won't argue that right now we are an average team, but you got to admit average is better than the last 5 years. What you want to see is more improvement the rest of the year.
Yes the running game was bad today but so was Louisville running game. The coaching didn't much to go on watching the 2 games Louisville played this year. From this period scouting the teams we play will be better cause they will have played better teams.
As for turnovers being low first our defense staff wanting to make sure we learned to tackle better not try and rip the ball out and not get it and see the other player go untouched for a TD. First teach tackling then work on turn overs.
Special teams were bad
As far as being physical not sure I would say that they didn't block any better than us. (If that is what you are calling physical)

The Bad we lost, the good now we have 7 more games, and we have 3 byes the rest of the season.
Physical - our OL was pushed backwards on most of our running plays. Their DL simply beat up our OL. King rarely gets sacked but much of that is on his ability to move around in and out of the pocket/lack of same.

Yes we are much better than the Former Guys teams. We are playing like an average ACC team right now. WE can compete with most teams but really can't dominate any of the ACC teams currently.

A Bye week will be good for the team! 3-2 at this point was the best record I expected we would have with 3 conference games, two were true road games and the 3rd was in Ireland even though it was a home game.

The ACC is it's typical sef, are there any really good teams?

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We lost to a top 20 team on the road who had a bye week. We played with good effort but the whole team did not seem sharp after 5 straight games. Watching the Cal FSU game and watched the Cal RB jumping sideways into holes and pick up yards like we were used to seeing Jamal do. Still wonder if he has a nagging injury.

Anyway I think we come out of the bye week and take care of Duke at home and UNC on the road. Will see after that.

apatriot1776

Jolly Good Fellow
Defense wasn’t great but good enough to win. Gave up 17 points.

Offense needs to figure out what it wants to be. Third game in a row that the power run game is obviously not working like it did against FSU.

Execution overall lacking. The 4th and 14 timeout, the failed lateral, running 3 straight down 12 with 7:00 to go and not making a first down, missed FGs, missed assignments, procedure flags, giving up after seeing a PI flag. None of it is indicative of a team ready to take the next step.

We got some winnable games coming up and need this bye week to figure it out. We can still put it together but the frustration is definitely growing.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We lost to a top 20 team on the road who had a bye week. We played with good effort but the whole team did not seem sharp after 5 straight games. Watching the Cal FSU game and watched the Cal RB jumping sideways into holes and pick up yards like we were used to seeing Jamal do. Still wonder if he has a nagging injury.

Anyway I think we come out of the bye week and take care of Duke at home and UNC on the road. Will see after that.
I agree Jamal does not seem to be running like he was the first 2 games this year! Seems like there is something nagging him!

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The ACC is it's typical sef, are there any really good teams?
no not great maybe a couple of good teams the rest are average . But an average team can beat a good team any week. What the ACC needs is at least 2 very good teams like the other conferences. But even a very good team almost lost to an average team last week in the SEC

NorthAvenueNation

Jolly Good Fellow
The going under center is a myth. How did it work out for Louisville on their own goal line. Oh right, a safety.

When an offense plays out of the Gun all the time going under center is asking for problems.

Now if the OL actually blocked someone it would help!
A myth? Hiking the ball 4 to 5 yards back making it a 6 yard run instead of 1 to 2 yards? Yeah, ok. Maybe you weren’t a fan during the CPJ years - he would not be happy with you calling this a myth.

Also, hiking out of your own end zone is much different than on your opponents 1 yard line; Louy had the right set up, just the wrong play. Should’ve QB sneaked it to give more room but he tripped instead.

Regardless, a myth? Wrong.

yellajacket20

Jolly Good Fellow
It has seemed almost like other teams had our play calls in advance. If it's sheer luck, then we gotta change it up to get the dogs put of rythm.

So it's interesting. I'm a Ravens fan and, so far this season, the Ravens have had this same issue where it seems that the defense knows exactly what they are trying to do. The OC is Todd Monken, who coached with Faulkner.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I also want us to all be realistic

A myth? Hiking the ball 4 to 5 yards back making it a 6 yard run instead of 1 to 2 yards? Yeah, ok. Maybe you weren’t a fan during the CPJ years - he would not be happy with you calling this a myth.
Question - how did the shotgun work for CPJ? Oh right we didn't run it. Point being that was not part of his offense and he ran every play under center. Therefore it was natural to run!

It takes lots of practice to run plays from under center. Unless we are willing to dedicate lots of practice time to taking snaps under center there is no point in running it in a game. It is clear that s not part of GT's offense.

That is the Myth part - oh just go under center and run a play. That won't work worth a darn unless the team is willing to commit time to practice it!

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
So it's interesting. I'm a Ravens fan and, so far this season, the Ravens have had this same issue where it seems that the defense knows exactly what they are trying to do. The OC is Todd Monken, who coached with Faulkner.
The Bye week is a good time for self scouting. We may have some tells!

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
Bad game, but I don’t really understand all the hate towards Key for supposedly bad coaching decisions. You could nit pick a few things like calling the timeout before the blocked field goal, but coaching decisions had nothing to do with giving up a blocked field goal return for a TD or fumbling a lateral into the end zone for a TD. Those were bad plays by the players that literally resulted in 14 free points for the other team and had nothing to do with in game coaching decisions. Some of y’all can’t see the forest for the trees.

If you want to critique coaching then offensive play calling is the place to focus, and that’s on Buster, although ultimately I guess it’s on Key by extension.

Then there is our defensive secondary, which was a leaky sieve just like it’s been in every game this season. It’s the weakest position group on the team if you ask me. They can’t cover to save their lives and today they couldn’t make an open field tackle to save their lives either.