Louisville Postgame

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think we’re a good team. We’re solid, but we can’t impose our will on other teams by brute force. Our defense is better than last season. We missed the window for the portal on defense.

We should sling it more
You are a clear optimist. We are an average at best team right now. We may turn out better but we are not close to being a good team currently.

On offense our passing game is pretty good and our QB is a good runner. The Running game has been a bust against Syracuse and Louisville. It is currently terrible.

The Defense is better than last year, a very very low bar. They still can’t get to the QB or cause turnovers.

Special Teams were awful today.

We were not a physical team today.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
There are some off base assessments of some of our position groups.

Our O line is ok, but they can’t win when it’s 5 against 6. The coaching staff is putting them in bad situations right now - especially on 2nd/3rd and short.

The D still has issues. But it’s INCREIDBLY improved. If we were producing on O at the level we were at the end of last year everyone would be singing praises for how well the defense is playing.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Our O line is ok, but they can’t win when it’s 5 against 6. The coaching staff is putting them in bad situations right now - especially on 2nd/3rd and short.

The D still has issues. But it’s INCREIDBLY improved. If we were producing on O at the level we were at the end of last year everyone would be singing praises for how well the defense is playing.
Short version is the team made some mistakes but IMO the staff lost the game today.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer

OL is getting no push, none. We failed on 4 3rd-1/4th-1 plays today with the game on the line. Yes, the D is scheming against them but that is pi$$ poor. Sorry.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We still do not have the guys on the Dline. Also, poor calls on offense today. Hopefully the team gets it together. The team is capable of more. Just have to find the will to overcome the bad plays. We are nowhere near good enough to turn over the ball, make dumb mistakes in play calling or play sub par special teams. Flush it. Been a long five weeks. Let's get Duke.
Was Biggers out. I know Lockette is out with hand injury. Like having those big guys to anchor the DL. I know next man up but I can wish to have the big guys in there.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The funny thing is if we had won our coaching would have called a great game and the half of the people on here would say we will win the ACC. I think the defense played a good game their rushing was worse than ours or as bad. As far as our OL maybe will build them up too much after the first game. I still think we are headed in the right direction; I remember before the season half the people on here said with our schedule if we finish 6 and 6 we would be lucky. I still trust our coaching staff the players didn't give up they got beat on some plays it happens.
Ok - except that for us to have won they would have had to call different plays. So…yeah, everyone would have been right.

Golden Tornadoes

Ramblin' Wreck
Key certainly has input, and it may be that he’s mandated we run the ball tween the tackles.
Not good, though, if he’s micromanaging his OC. But I’m sure they have a high-level plan of how they want to do things.
I have a feeling the scenario you just described is more like it. Key is the CEO type and he’s probably given CBF his marching orders of what he wants to see but it’s ultimately up to CBF to design the plays to get it done. It’s been very vanilla so far running the same 5-10 plays just out of different formations. Teams have figured it out and will continue to put 7-8 in the box until we can scheme up different ways to run the ball or beat people consistently through the air. If I’m Key during this bye week, I’m locking CBF in a closet and not letting him out until he shows me something innovative on offense. It’s way too predictable at this point. I’ve lost count how many time Louisville and others just load up the box on us.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Nm

I have a feeling the scenario you just described is more like it. Key is the CEO type and he’s probably given CBF his marching orders of what he wants to see but it’s ultimately up to CBF to design the plays to get it done. It’s been very vanilla so far running the same 5-10 plays just out of different formations. Teams have figured it out and will continue to put 7-8 in the box until we can scheme up different ways to run the ball or beat people consistently through the air. If I’m Key during this bye week, I’m locking CBF in a closet and not letting him out until he shows me something innovative on offense. It’s way too predictable at this point. I’ve lost count how many time Louisville and others just load up the box on us.
It’s not just loading the box. It’s run blitzing exactly where we are running the ball in many cases. We are being way too predictable on obvious running downs.m.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
From the stats, the team played well overall. Made too many mistakes and that cost the game. Take out the mistakes and it is a 7-14 point win.

I am not super negative. Eliminate mistakes and clean a few things up and GT will look like a very good team.
Stats sometimes lie! Look at the game summary of Louisville's 2nd half possessions. One punt, one TD, one one play stumble safety and one 3 kneel series. Yet they still scored 14 second half points! Our RBs got 39 yards on 20 carries! Can't win that way!

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
Nm

It’s not just loading the box. It’s run blitzing exactly where we are running the ball in many cases. We are being way too predictable on obvious running downs.m.
It has seemed almost like other teams had our play calls in advance. If it's sheer luck, then we gotta change it up to get the dogs put of rythm.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
iYou are a clear optimist. We are an average at best team right now. We may turn out better but we are not close to being a good team currently.

On offense our passing game is pretty good and our QB is a good runner. The Running game has been a bust against Syracuse and Louisville. It is currently terrible.

The Defense is better than last year, a very very low bar. They still can’t get to the QB or cause turnovers.

Special Teams were awful today.

We were not a physical team today.
I won't argue that right now we are an average team, but you got to admit average is better than the last 5 years. What you want to see is more improvement the rest of the year.
Yes the running game was bad today but so was Louisville running game. The coaching didn't much to go on watching the 2 games Louisville played this year. From this period scouting the teams we play will be better cause they will have played better teams.
As for turnovers being low first our defense staff wanting to make sure we learned to tackle better not try and rip the ball out and not get it and see the other player go untouched for a TD. First teach tackling then work on turn overs.
Special teams were bad
As far as being physical not sure I would say that they didn't block any better than us. (If that is what you are calling physical)

The Bad we lost, the good now we have 7 more games, and we have 3 byes the rest of the season.