Louisville Post Game

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
They are 43rd in total and scoring offense in the country. They are pretty average. Their RB is good but honestly I think we were making the QB look a little better than he actually is. That guy had a hundred yards passing, 3 yards rushing, and 3 INTs against Pitt.
More than that, they entered this game 14th out of 15 ACC teams in 3rd down conversion rate at 34% and they got 53% against us (even with the late stops). Our interior D line and our LB play did not impress, and the secondary left many guys wide open. Thank goodness they produced the TO's...that was a saving grace! (And they DID manufacture them, those weren't poor choices by L'ville, we stripped the ball out.)

Without the +3 TO differential, they would have clearly scored mid 30's against us. And that from a team whose offense is fair at best. If the middling' teams in the league can score mid 30's against our D without those TO problems, it put enormous pressure on our young QB to score on every possession.

If we can't find some answers on D, we are likely to lose the next 5 games (Clemson, @BC, Notre Dame, Pitt, @Miami), leaving us with two reasonable chances for wins at the end of the season (vs Duke and N C State) in our quest to improve on 3-8.

I surely hope I am wrong and this team makes me eat my words.

Deleted member 2897

More than that, they entered this game 14th out of 15 ACC teams in 3rd down conversion rate at 34% and they got 53% against us (even with the late stops). Our interior D line and our LB play did not impress, and the secondary left many guys wide open. Thank goodness they produced the TO's...that was a saving grace! (And they DID manufacture them, those weren't poor choices by L'ville, we stripped the ball out.)

Without the +3 TO differential, they would have clearly scored mid 30's against us. And that from a team whose offense is fair at best. If the middling' teams in the league can score mid 30's against our D without those TO problems, it put enormous pressure on our young QB to score on every possession.

If we can't find some answers on D, we are likely to lose the next 5 games (Clemson, @BC, Notre Dame, Pitt, @Miami), leaving us with two reasonable chances for wins at the end of the season (vs Duke and N C State) in our quest to improve on 3-8.

End the fear! Be positive! Don’t spend the next 5 weeks worried that we might lose every game.

gameface

Jolly Good Fellow
Outside of the drive where Louisville pinned us inside our 10 and Patenaude called 3 straight run plays up the middle (seriously what was this bull****?) I was happy with this playcalling. Overall it was pretty decent. The only thing we are missing is throwing deep with Sims.
I really think they were trying to protect Sims early in the game. This let him get his confidence and the play calling opened up and Sims had made the plays.

Deleted member 2897

I may be wrong (I’m on my phone switching back and forth and counting), but I believe Jahmyr Gibbs is currently #2 in the ACC in all purpose yards (excluding kick return). Will have to see if a couple people pass him today, but he seems to be still a lock in for top 5 at worst.

slugboy

Staff member
Louisville was ranked in the top 25 for the first two polls of the season. Now they’ve lost three in a row.

Things change

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Nice game, big win for the players hard work, they deserved that win.
Sims looks so smooth and looking comfortable in the pocket.
RBs all solid, Gibbs is unreal for true fresh but I also like Griffin and Smith a lot. Also Hawkins from Louisville is awesome RB. We saw some awesome RBs tonight.

i could go on as so many players were awesome.
DL played awesome in 2nd half
Johnson was solid on OL
Nice game, big win for the players hard work, they deserved that win.
Sims looks so smooth and looking comfortable in the pocket.
RBs all solid, Gibbs is unreal for true fresh but I also like Griffin and Smith a lot. Also Hawkins from Louisville is awesome RB. We saw some awesome RBs tonight.

i could go on as so many players were awesome.
DL played awesome in 2nd half
Johnson was solid on OL
Honestly, I’m glad we won, but I really don’t feel any different about GT football than after our two losses. It’s all about turnovers. This was the exact same game as UCF except we got the turnovers that turned it into a win by 20. In reality we all know those were two even teams. Our future is bright because we have a legit P5 QB and Collins will get us players thru recruiting and the portal. Gibbs is the best football player we’ve had on campus since Calvin and it won’t be shocking to see him be the 2nd highest drafted player in GT history.

Our defense is just not ready to be a legit threat yet. They missed at minimum 2 additional TD’s with wide open guys. The 3rd play of the game was a TD and we had no one near him. They exploited our lack of LB play and gashed us up the middle all game. That will only be fixed thru recruiting. They shouldn’t have punted at all because we couldn’t stop them. The only thing that stopped them were turnovers. Our fan base knows what that looks like.

But the worst part of the game by far was the 15 minute shat show of Allison on her 1998 cell phone blathering on and on for 2 entire series. The women didn’t take a breath and nothing she said made any sense. Im pretty even keeled bit that was finger nails on a chalk board.
I was losing my mind when they were talking about the Miami-Clemson game for 5 minutes totally ignoring the game they should be calling- total disrespect. No one watching that game have a rat’s *ss about what they were saying.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer

You are for sure The life of the party when you go out.😂

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
Something I liked on the 2 minute drill before the end of the first half was the time out call. A bunch of Sims' other in interceptions came in similar situations in our previous games (I remember one clearly during the FSU game). It didn't make sense clock management wise, but I think it helped level him out and keep him making good decisions.

I think CDP did much better this game. I haven't rewatched the game, but I know early on there was more running plays and screens called, which we have been saying is necessary due to the young QB, as well as the strength of the team.

I see a bunch of guys getting after the LB play, but I think we need some good DT's. If this staff can recruit one stud at DT the whole defense changes. I'm not saying none of the blame falls on the LB's, but a good DT would help immensely. Still it's great that we have some decent DE's.

Sims strength seem to be the short and intermediate passes combined with a quick decision. Patenaude seems to be calling plays to those strengths and when that is not the case, that seems to be when the problems are. Last year, this was not a strength, as the short and intermediate passing accuracy was not good. Last year there were a lot of deep passes and Graham's strength was staring down the face of the pressure and letting lose a perfect bomb. Problem is, no matter how good you are at that, those are low percentage passes. I believe Coach Pat wants more of those high percentage passes and Sims is very accurate with those and generally makes really good decisions on those.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Re watching the highlights this morning. Our offense is going to be real special as Gibbs and Sims mature, throw mason back in there too even better. When things are clicking we look great, need to improving the snaps though
What worries me is our hot and cold defense . Yes we improved the 2nd half, but we need our 2nd half defense to show up at the start of the game .

Then cuse game we were all cursing out Coach P and this game it was Thacker the first half. Just need this team to show up on both sides of the ball to start the games and we will be fine .

Scubapro

Banned
Something I liked on the 2 minute drill before the end of the first half was the time out call. A bunch of Sims' other in interceptions came in similar situations in our previous games (I remember one clearly during the FSU game). It didn't make sense clock management wise, but I think it helped level him out and keep him making good decisions.

I think CDP did much better this game. I haven't rewatched the game, but I know early on there was more running plays and screens called, which we have been saying is necessary due to the young QB, as well as the strength of the team.

I see a bunch of guys getting after the LB play, but I think we need some good DT's. If this staff can recruit one stud at DT the whole defense changes. I'm not saying none of the blame falls on the LB's, but a good DT would help immensely. Still it's great that we have some decent DE's.
P-nut did better this game but its all about the turnovers...we were +3 which is awesome but even bigger was that we didn't commit any turnovers. Its a larger impact to have 3-0 that say 5-2 due to momentum and field position from a change of possession.
It's something like a 95% win rate when a team is + three turnovers or more.
Not ready to give accolades to a coordinator that cant constantly put up more than thirty a game.
It was a big win and hopefully it marks a turning point.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
It will be a crowded backfield when Mason comes back. We have 3 really good backs without him but I want him back.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Curry's a great leader, but he was outmatched by the speed of Cunningham. It wasn't even close. It appeared in the second half we had Curry bail into a middle zone a lot more and had a safety spy Cunningham. I'll have to re-watch it to be sure (and I don't claim to be an expert by any means), but that might have been one of the 2nd half adjustments that helped.

With a quick rewatch of the compressed game on YouTube it looks like Carpenter was often the spy on Cunningham in the 2nd half.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
The question is did the ball break the plane before being fumbled. If it did then that's a touchdown that was then nullified by the penalty. There was no clear shot parallel to the goal line in which one could determine that the ball came loose before breaking the plane. The referee blocked the view.

I thought the officials got that one right becauseit was not called a fumble/touchback on the field. Of course, had it been called a fumble on the field then there would not have been enough evidence to reverse the call and it would have been our ball via touchback. When the camera is inconclusive one has to trust the call on the field.
they didn't signal touchdown on the call, so the only other thing it could be was a fumble. The ref closest was watching the hold, and not watching the ball.