Las Vegas Mass Casualty Attack

LibertyTurns

Banned
The elementary schools in your district don’t have full time armed security. The school access measures are much like game day security at BDS. Present to make people feel safe...not be safe.
We’ve proved it’s possible to confiscate a bottle of water from a 75yo woman trying to sneak into Bobby Dodd. You’d think it we could hire these same eagle eyes to take the semi-automatic weapons from the nutzo kids or criminals trying to get inside our schools. Hey even a better thought. Hire them during the week to patrol our streets and take the guns away from the illegals and criminals.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Not from what I've seen. I literally can't enter the school. I have to go into a side office and they have to buzz me to let me through another door onto school property. In the meantime, they make a copy of my drivers license and run a background check against stuff like sex registry. I mean, if someone wants to shoot up a school, they will shoot up a school. But absent being like Israel with a military person with automatic weapons and bullet proof outfits, I feel like they're doing the best they can without bankrupting everyone. The only thing they are missing everywhere is metal detectors. I'm not sure they will ever go that route because at the larger schools the traffic is very high to get in and they'd probably need a ton of them.

I agree with this...but...it won’t prevent a determined subject from assaulting the victim. All they have to say is they are present to register a new student, or similar, then get buzzed in.....then pull their concealed weapon and start shooting. It’s a barrier to entry...but not a truly secure one imo.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
We’ve proved it’s possible to confiscate a bottle of water from a 75yo woman trying to sneak into Bobby Dodd. You’d think it we could hire these same eagle eyes to take the semi-automatic weapons from the nutzo kids or criminals trying to get inside our schools. Hey even a better thought. Hire them during the week to patrol our streets and take the guns away from the illegals and criminals.

I never will but I could easily get a handgun into a game on gameday unless security measures are changed. I’ll say 80% success rate if I tried.

Deleted member 2897

I never will but I could easily get a handgun into a game on gameday unless security measures are changed. I’ll say 80% success rate if I tried.

I am undefeated getting alcohol into the games. If there are no metal detectors, there really is no difference based on size if you think about it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@WreckinGT

Some things to ponder in reference to my prior question to you.

This guy is a bit of a comedian but makes some valid points regardless. *colorful language advisory for this link*

(Edit) Was trying to copy another from prayer but wasn’t able to.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
A few good ideas in this thread. We live in a frustrating time. I would like to see us as a country do something. I don't believe we should ban guns (or AR-15's) and I definitely don't want to live in a world where every school is heavily fortified. Problem with doing "something" is even if it's done with the right intent, the left/right will still argue that it wasn't enough/useless/unconstitutional/whatever else just for the sake of bitching about the other side. There really is absolutely nothing either side could do even if they wanted to and even if it did actually have a positive outcome.

I'm in the boat that a large portion of our problems in our country are economical and if you really want prevent mass shootings and the like, that's the only way to do it. Mass shootings seem to follow the same pattern as inflation adjusted median household income.

Deleted member 2897

A few good ideas in this thread. We live in a frustrating time. I would like to see us as a country do something. I don't believe we should ban guns (or AR-15's) and I definitely don't want to live in a world where every school is heavily fortified. Problem with doing "something" is even if it's done with the right intent, the left/right will still argue that it wasn't enough/useless/unconstitutional/whatever else just for the sake of bitching about the other side. There really is absolutely nothing either side could do even if they wanted to and even if it did actually have a positive outcome.

I'm in the boat that a large portion of our problems in our country are economical and if you really want prevent mass shootings and the like, that's the only way to do it. Mass shootings seem to follow the same pattern as inflation adjusted median household income.

The only thing worse than enacting pointless legislation will be all the people who say "I told you so" when there is no change in shootings (I won't be one of those ****holes, but you know they will come out of the woodwork...especially Russian bots now).

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I think mass shootings has nothing to do with economics. Gun violence in general, absolutely. Mass shootings are generally accomplished by someone who becomes mentally unstable. There is nothing sane about rapidly firing a weapon into a large crowd or systematically shooting people as one passes through a facility. I think mass shooting perpetrators generally have an agenda and are targeting a specific sector of the population. School shootings are typically accomplished by peer-aged kids who have exhibited anti-social behavior or were forced to the fringes of the the social strata within the system.

jeffgt14

There is nothing sane about gun violence period. I tend to think it’s all connected. Issues at home that derive this sort of behavior I believe can be linked to economic issues. There is no 100%, probably not even 50%, reason some deranged lunatic goes on a shooting spree but I believe there is a higher percentage that can be linked economically.

Deleted member 2897

My poor family members continue to flood social media with lies and fake news and general stupidity. Embarrassing. Here is the latest that my sister shared. Kids offering to carry their handicapped teacher out if there was ever a shooter. This has to be a made up story - she's in a damned wheel chair. WHEELS. Why would they carry her when they could just push her?

jeffgt14

My poor family members continue to flood social media with lies and fake news and general stupidity. Embarrassing. Here is the latest that my sister shared. Kids offering to carry their handicapped teacher out if there was ever a shooter. This has to be a made up story - she's in a damned wheel chair. WHEELS. Why would they carry her when they could just push her?

Sometimes I wonder if we have become dumber as a society or if it's just easier now to see how dumb we've always been.

Deleted member 2897

Meh, Russians are helping plan protests. Russian bots are retweeting these things. These theories are as crazy as all the kids yelling Shame! at Trump and demanding 80% of guns be banned and confiscated. They’re going to learn the hard way how the Constitution works.

Meanwhile, the school district down there said they had no right to expel him from the entire district as he had a right to school. THAT and law enforcement and the FBI are the problem. And broken families.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Ok so you’re advocating we use our resources towards preventing the 1 homicide that may occur in a random rural Alabama location (Pop 500) as opposed to trying to reduce the 650 annual murders in metro Chicago (Pop 10,000,000) that predominantly happens in a 5 or 10 mile radius if that?
I think you can tackle both at the same time. This isn't a city or a state issue. Its a gun issue.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
THATS WHAT COPS DO.

There is no such thing as conflicting reports. They know who they employ. They ask him where he was.

Fire him and get a real cop.
So you have convinced yourself that the rent a cop at the local school can be on the other side of the campus, hear gunshots through fire alarms and screaming, make his way through the chaos, take down the shooter who has a much more powerful weapon than he does and probably more experience shooting it, in a very short period of time and prevent any casualties? Ok then. I didn't realize every one of those guys are Jack Bauer on steroids.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I didn't mean to imply it was easy. Something wasn't making sense that the cop 'never came across the shooter' and vague information about where he was. Turns out he wasn't on campus. I don't know where he was (a representative didn't know if it was his day off or if he had gotten called somewhere else), but he wasn't at the school. Makes a lot more sense now.
A statement from the sheriff:
An armed security guard never got the chance to stop the teen gunman who murdered 17 students and staffers at a Florida high school, authorities said Thursday.

Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel confirmed that accused mass murderer Nikolas Cruz managed to shoot up the Parkland high school without ever encountering the school resource deputy.

“He was on campus and he was armed,” Israel said. “At this point, the only thing I can tell you definitively is he never encountered Cruz.”
I guess you would know better than he does though.

Deleted member 2897

So you have convinced yourself that the rent a cop at the local school can be on the other side of the campus, hear gunshots through fire alarms and screaming, make his way through the chaos, take down the shooter who has a much more powerful weapon than he does and probably more experience shooting it, in a very short period of time and prevent any casualties? Ok then. I didn't realize every one of those guys are Jack Bauer on steroids.

Stop putting words in my mouth. “The other side of campus” LOLOLOLOLOL. It’s a high school. The cop wasn’t even there. That explains it. Stop trying to explain someone’s incompetence who wasn’t even there.

Deleted member 2897

I think you can tackle both at the same time. This isn't a city or a state issue. Its a gun issue.

LOLOLOLOLOL. It’s a hammer issue. It’s a rental truck issue. It’s a knife issue. LOLOLOLOLOL.

You could surround me by literally a million guns and I would never shoot anybody. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

A Love Supreme

Ramblin' Wreck
Meh, Russians are helping plan protests. Russian bots are retweeting these things. These theories are as crazy as all the kids yelling Shame! at Trump and demanding 80% of guns be banned and confiscated. They’re going to learn the hard way how the Constitution works.

Meanwhile, the school district down there said they had no right to expel him from the entire district as he had a right to school. THAT and law enforcement and the FBI are the problem. And broken families.

These crisis actor conspiracy theories are crazy and are very disrespectful to the children that went through this tragic event. They are being promoted by conservative right wing websites. A Florida Republican state reps aide got fired for spreading these lies.
https://www.snopes.com/2018/02/20/right-wing-media-david-hogg/
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/20/business/media/parkland-shooting-media-conspiracy.html