Las Vegas Mass Casualty Attack

Deleted member 2897

First thing I read in the paper is this horrible story. The second thing I read about is all the politicians pushing and demanding for stronger gun control measures. Automatic weapons have been outlawed for decades and decades - the restrictions are so tough on those that have been grandfathered, that I can't imagine there is anything we could have done to stop this guy. But of course, waiting until the facts come in to determine what you can do to stop it doesn't prevent politicians from proposing all kinds of things despite the fact they have no clue on what those new laws might even accomplish. I'd like to have a 3 strikes law - the 3rd time you propose a law before you have any idea what it might accomplish, you're automatically expelled from Congress.

Deleted member 2897

ISIS claimed responsibility, saying the guy was a recent convert to Islam. I guess we will find out more in the coming days as to if that is true or not.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
ISIS claimed responsibility, saying the guy was a recent convert to Islam. I guess we will find out more in the coming days as to if that is true or not.

Doubt it....doesn't quite fit the typical profile. He probably left a manifesto or suicide note behind though.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
First thing I read in the paper is this horrible story. The second thing I read about is all the politicians pushing and demanding for stronger gun control measures. Automatic weapons have been outlawed for decades and decades - the restrictions are so tough on those that have been grandfathered, that I can't imagine there is anything we could have done to stop this guy. But of course, waiting until the facts come in to determine what you can do to stop it doesn't prevent politicians from proposing all kinds of things despite the fact they have no clue on what those new laws might even accomplish. I'd like to have a 3 strikes law - the 3rd time you propose a law before you have any idea what it might accomplish, you're automatically expelled from Congress.

Politicians today don't need facts, just raw emotions.

It's possible to buy fully automatic weapons even today. Requires a federal stamp on a "grandfathered" weapon. Going price a decade or 2 ago was in the 10-20k range. Heck you can still buy fully operational tanks and APCs if you have enough $$$.

The fire he was putting down range certainly sounded full auto. I think the first, and maybe 2nd bursts might have involved 50-100 round drum mags....was a long string of fire.

All that being said. This guy could have killed and injured just as many people with a semi auto rifle, even one with only 10 round mags. Ditto a bolt action rifle. A decent optic combined with any long gun would have been his best utilized tool in this tragedy.

Randomly spraying rounds into the masses would generate a high fatality and casualty rate. Optic aided aimed fire at individual targets would likely have led to a higher fatality rate, imo.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
A CBS News Executive said she has no sympathy for the victims, because Country Music fans are typically overwhelmingly Republican. What the hell is wrong with people?

Omg. Is that true? Where did u see this

Sick. Totally sick. Karma is real

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Do not understand the "weeping and gnashing of teeth" over another mass killing in the US.

We made the decision many decades ago to be a weapon carrying society. In such a society you
will get the assorted nut jobs who will pull off killings like Las Vegas. There are an estimated 300 million
firearms in the US. Whoever wants to get a handful and go on a shooting rampage has no obstacles for
doing so. Haven't check but it seems the death tole per incident is going up the last few years.

With all the mass killings the death tole is far less than auto accidents.

Condolences to all the families who lost loved ones and who had loved ones wounded. "Peace be with you."

Deleted member 2897

Omg. Is that true? Where did u see this

Sick. Totally sick. Karma is real

She posted a Facebook comment. That thread has since been deleted, but not before people screen shotted it. You can Google and find it.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Do not understand the "weeping and gnashing of teeth" over another mass killing in the US.

We made the decision many decades ago to be a weapon carrying society. In such a society you
will get the assorted nut jobs who will pull off killings like Las Vegas. There are an estimated 300 million
firearms in the US. Whoever wants to get a handful and go on a shooting rampage has no obstacles for
doing so. Haven't check but it seems the death tole per incident is going up the last few years.

With all the mass killings the death tole is far less than auto accidents.

Condolences to all the families who lost loved ones and who had loved ones wounded. "Peace be with you."

Dang man. People are weeping because people, someone's loved ones, were massacred.

The weapon used doesn't matter much. Coulda been a bomb, a hunting rifle, a knife, or a uhaul truck...determined murderes can only be stopped by killing or incapacitating them.

Deleted member 2897

The CBS Executive has been fired. I still see no major news outlet covering it.

northgajacket

Banned
Yep. And apparently he predicted it too. Also, Bill O'Reilly says the shooting is "the price of freedom." Man, it must be nice being those guys.

I for one am getting a little tired of the deadliest mass shooting happening every other year now, it has gotten ridiculous. The first deadliest mass shooting in my lifetime happened in 1991, then it took 16 years for the next one in 2007. Now the death tolls get higher every year or so. I know there were others in between that time period, but it seems to happen too often now, maybe I was just a naive kid back then idk.