Klimpsun - Welcome back

Milwaukee

Banned
Watson went out in the 1st qtr on their second or third possession. So no, he didn't have a lot of stats that game. He was marching down field with ease when he made the cut and hurt himself.

In walks Cole Stoudt and the rest is history.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
If by "gashing us" you mean scoring zero points and piling up about 3 first downs, then I agree. I'm pretty sure they hadn't scored when he went out. If they did, I'm sure it was only a FG.

You are correct. It wasn't really a gashing; more like jabs repeatedly to the chin.

4 the record...
Before he went out:

5-7 for for 27yd - ~5ypp
7 rushes for 40yd - 5+ ypc

The last drive (after this they didn't get a first down until halfway through the 3rd quarter):

1-10-50 (4:12) Wayne Gallman rushed for 9 yards.
2-1-GATECH41 (3:54) Deshaun Watson passed to Charone Peake for 11 yards.
1-10-GATECH30 (3:14) Wayne Gallman rushed for 4 yards.
2-6-GATECH26 (2:41) Deshaun Watson rushed for 5 yards.
3-1-GATECH21 (2:03) Deshaun Watson rushed for 7 yards. [WATSON INJURY]
1-10-GATECH14 (1:44) Cole Stoudt rushed for 5 yards.
2-5-GATECH9 (1:07) Cole Stoudt rushed for 1 yard.
3-4-GATECH8 (13:14) Cole Stoudt was intercepted. Touchdown. Jamal Golden returned the interception for 85 yards.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good. I was not meaning to imply there was no drop off after he went out. When I look at those drive stats, what is so different than has happened to us the last two games with lesser players? We have given up first down conversions and penetration into our end of the field but not many points. We will never know what would have happened if he had stayed in, but I reject the notion that, automatically, there would have been a ton of scores. I do acknowledge, however, that Stoudt did not seem ready to play when he went in.

BTW, didn't we sack him in his first series and cause a 3 and out?

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
Good. I was not meaning to imply there was no drop off after he went out. When I look at those drive stats, what is so different than has happened to us the last two games with lesser players? We have given up first down conversions and penetration into our end of the field but not many points. We will never know what would have happened if he had stayed in, but I reject the notion that, automatically, there would have been a ton of scores. I do acknowledge, however, that Stoudt did not seem ready to play when he went in.

BTW, didn't we sack him in his first series and cause a 3 and out?

First series...
1. Clemsoning from the start... a first play QB draw. PJ spied on him and wrapped low for no gain.
2. Roll left, overthrow to scott. Announcers assume the clemsoning is due to watson's busted hand.
3. Full house blitz, checks down hot to gallman in the flat, jamal golden wraps at the catch.

I am sorta mystified about how bend-but-don't-break works, but I know that when the field shortens there is more traffic in the dink 'n screen 'n draw alleys, so it helps to have something else working. At risk of being lumped in with the rock rubbers, I do think Watson is "something else" when healthy. He can bust contain, is a dangerous option keep threat and can fit tight redzone windows. The teams we've played so far didn't have that threat in the red zone. Towles could do the run and keep part, but if the mercer and vandy qbs were to roll into the teeth of the D, it'd be more threatening to their health than the D.

I don't mean to say that automatically tons of points would be scored, but I do agree with you that Stoudt looked like he wasn't ready. IIRC, he looked a lot more comfortable later in the year when the gameplan was better suited (or the pressure was off).

As a total aside, the tape reminded me of how consistently Jamal Golden found right place. He also seems like a good guy. Hope he can carve out a career in the NFL.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Cole Stoudt had started several games for the Tigers in 2014 and he also led them to a blowout of Oklahoma in their bowl game that season. He was more than capable of leading their team to a victory over us but he didn't.

Also, nobody gave 2 craps about half of our team being injured when we played them last year so Watson being injured takes away nothing from the '14 win for me.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The Clemson Insider... Georgia Tech: The Fun Begins
“It is challenging when you have a long week. It is real challenging when you have a short week,” Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said during his Sunday teleconference call with the media. “We both have the same amount of time and that is the same for both teams. Certainly, with what they do, it creates a little extra strain because it is not something where we can say, ‘You remember last week when we saw this or that?’ because they are just so different offensively.”

“They are not exactly the same. In principle they are, but they are doing some other things to help them so it will be new to our guys. So some things, yes, but other things no,” Venables said. “We will have to play really, really well. There will not be much margin for error.”

Bryant is out. Swinney said last week it looked bleak for defensive end Austin Bryant to return for the Georgia Tech game after breaking a bone in his foot last month, but the Clemson coach confirmed on Sunday night Bryant will not play against the Yellow Jackets.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Dabo Swinney Sunday Teleconference (12 min audio)
  • Linebacker Ben Boulware should be full speed this week.

TigerNet... Cram Session: Venables back at QB as Tech prep begins
“Typically Brent (Venables) likes to be the quarterback because he wants to control the tempo. I don't know how much that helps us, but it helps us because he knows exactly what he wants,” Swinney said. “Zerrick Cooper will be our quarterback as far as our scout team QB goes and he'll be the guy. Usually, at the beginning of the week, Brent likes to teach the scout quarterback as he's installing our defense."

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
LOL. Nobody makes you watch/listen. You can wait for AJC or Rivals reporting. It's not a public forum. It's a press conference. Some of us are satisfied with the crumbs.
Once again you fail to see my point. Let me go into more detail for you, I'll even type slower. It's such a small and easy fix, it's crazy they don't do it. Just give each reporter a mike or have them pass one around. If the pressers are just for the reporters, then why even tape it? It must be meant to be played for an andience of some kind? Doesn't the intended audience deserve to hear the questions?

It's an opportunity to reach out to fans and give them some snippets of info, make them feel like they're important to the program just a little bit. But no, they can't even manage something that would have been just as easy to do 20 yrs ago. The effort needed on their part is so tiny and the rewards they're missing are big. It's just one more small symptom of the larger problem, they really don't give a hang about cultivating fans. Whatever they get is whatever they get. I don't even want to hear them ***** about the fans if they're not gonna do the little things that don't cost anything that can be done to help attract them.

It's an embarrassment, imo, if you think something is worthy of filming, not to have adequate audio technology.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Who wears purple anyway?

Given the choice I would rather have a short week than giving them an extra week of prep.
Minnesota Vikings, Ancient Roman Nobility and Barney. I'm sure their are many others but that's off the top of my head. As far a prep time I'm sure they spent some time this summer on it and maybe a period or 2 of the first 2 weeks.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

fairweatherhater

Georgia Tech Fan

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
cool purple.
prince.png

noble purple.
louis.png

derpy purple, road cone orange, fake auburn
clemson.png

Where did Clemson get their colors?
The orange and purple began when Walter Merritt Riggs formed Clemson's first football team in 1896. Because Riggs had come from Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama (later renamed Auburn), he borrowed ideas from their team colors, orange and purple, and their mascot, the Tiger.
Official history of Clemson colors & football - Tiger Board
www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=717482

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Once again you fail to see my point. Let me go into more detail for you, I'll even type slower. It's such a small and easy fix, it's crazy they don't do it. Just give each reporter a mike or have them pass one around. If the pressers are just for the reporters, then why even tape it? It must be meant to be played for an andience of some kind? Doesn't the intended audience deserve to hear the questions?

It's an opportunity to reach out to fans and give them some snippets of info, make them feel like they're important to the program just a little bit. But no, they can't even manage something that would have been just as easy to do 20 yrs ago. The effort needed on their part is so tiny and the rewards they're missing are big. It's just one more small symptom of the larger problem, they really don't give a hang about cultivating fans. Whatever they get is whatever they get. I don't even want to hear them ***** about the fans if they're not gonna do the little things that don't cost anything that can be done to help attract them.

It's an embarrassment, imo, if you think something is worthy of filming, not to have adequate audio technology.

Yeah. Your point was pretty obvious. However, you failed to get mine.

At a press conference, the reporter knows her or his question. There is a mike so they can hear the coach's response. That's the purpose of the gathering.

Often, typically, others present hear the questions just fine even when recording equipment doesn't. If the coach can't hear, he'll ask for a repetition. The contractual responsibility of the coach to meet with the press is fulfilled without the GTAA camera or Kelly's phone recording.

So, I'm satisfied with whatever is made public. Now, sometimes the GTAA does pass a mike, and we get the questions. Sometimes, Kelly posts his phone video without the mike. I'm happy for both.

Now, if your point was that there should not be press conferences without a GTAA microphone for public distribution, then you didn't say that. As it is, if you don't like what we get, ignore it.